Avanti wrap removal

moonbabie

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the wrap off a slingerland Avanti drum? I‘m hearing the outer ply is not the same as there classic series. My concern is the wood following the wrap.I’ve done a few slingy’s with the maple(no problem)but never the Avanti line. Thanx for your input

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an Avanti line of Slingerland drums. The Avanti was a drum outfit with three mounted toms on the bass drum. The drums themselves are the same as any other Slingerland made at that time and would unwrap in the same way.

The drum in your picture does appear to be either Chrome or Blackcrome wrap which were both real metal glued to the shell. I have heard that these can be difficult to unwrap but then others state they are the same as other Slingerland drums, possibly even somewhat easier because you don't have to worry about the wrap bursting into flame as you apply a heat gun to soften the glue. Having never unwrapped one I can't offer any first hand experience on that but underneath they will be the same as any other Slingerlands you have unwrapped. The outer ply on most "P" stamped shells will be mahogany, but sometimes maple.

P05.GIF

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I removed a cracked old wrap from a 20x14 3 ply Slingerland which had an outer ply of mahogany and it was murder. I eventually got it but it was very slow going.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed a chrome wrap off a 70's 14x14 once. Took 3 days and a real pain! The metal wrap is actually metal! I was able to salvage the mahogany outer but it's a lot of work. Use a heat gun and gloves because the metal is sharp and may cut you....good luck.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve done a ton of wrap removals. Get a soft flex 1-1/2 inch putty knife and a heat gun and have at it. This needs to be done as you heat up a section, not heating the whole wrap at once. Little at a time. Don’t dig the knife blade into the wood just get under the wrap and lift as the glue softens. Removing adhesive left on the drum is on this forum so I’m not gonna bother with a rehash here.