AVH Drumming on “Jump” Solo

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up “1984” on CD for .50 cents at a yard sale a few months ago and it has been on in my truck ever since after decades of not hearing it.

First thing, I am in awe at how good it is on all fronts but specifically AVH’s drumming. He is a progressive fusion drummer in disguise.

There are countless examples on that album but as a specific check out what he is playing on both the guitar and keyboard solos on “Jump”.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While I’m not a huge VH fan, he did a great job on that album. When it first came out, it was one of the very few VH CDs I purchased. Exceptionally creative drumming on parts of those tunes. And that part in Jump is one of the better examples.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep, it's a great album from 84' and the last VH that I bought. That band should have stayed together, but sadly, they imploded due to drugs, power, jealousy, childishness, et al... I was a senior in high school when this album came out and I will tell you that it was THE concert to go to at the time. They were on top of the world and could do no wrong. I believe there were 4 bonafide hits on this record and you couldn't turn the radio on without hearing VH all across the dial. So much has changed since that time...

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
1984 is what first got me interested in VH, and I've been listening a lot to VH, 5150, OU812 in the last couple years. But synth doesn't age well.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the first songs I played, got my first kit in 84 for my 13th birthday which was on a Friday the 13th! Lucky for me, unlucky for the neighbors :) I must of played Jump hundreds of times back then and only noticed that solo section 5 to 10 years ago when I revisited and was really struck by how good it was. Really break out album for Alex's drumming. I loved his playing on the two Van Hagar albums as well.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1984 is what first got me interested in VH, and I've been listening a lot to VH, 5150, OU812 in the last couple years. But synth doesn't age well.
Too funny, I though EVH’s synth aged incredibly well. Did he and Geddy Lee introduce it right around the same time?

I really like the synth work on “I’ll Wait”. Also, AVH plays a relatively simple beat but just stumps you at the bridge.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to see VH at that time in a small arena, and they were as good as any band you'll ever see.

I also have a clear memory of driving around with friends (in high school) when the DJ played "Jump" for the first time on that station. We were stunned. "Wait, the best guitar player in the world is playing keyboards. Why?" We were hoping for another "Unchained."

Listening to the isolated drum track of "Jump," it strikes me that there's so much 80s studio sheen put on the drum sound that much of it could be confused for electronic drums, except when you get to the solo part Nacci referenced.

Great drummer (especially on the first four albums). It's too bad the 80s became dominated with rock bands trying to sound like Thomas Dolby's drum machine.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember covering this when it was contemporary and yes, indeed, the drumming during that solo was/is tough....you REALLY had to ignore the guitar and focus hard on the bass line. Saw Van Halen first on the W&CF tour, I was a kid. Wasn't a big fan when they switched to Hagar, although Eddie and Alex's chops are still pretty tasty. AVH is def a unique drummer and it's sometimes hard to notice in the same band with Eddie. Took me a lot of years to really appreciate how good he is.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Ah yes.. back in the day.. when actually being able to play your instrument well was a precursor to success.

AVH was a huge influence on me. His sound in particular, his style, and the fact that he played heavy, but still *swung* like Bonham - which is truly what was lost in the 80's hair metal avalanche of EVH and VH wanna-bee's. Everyone was obsessed with copying the tapping, hair, spandex, and party antics. Very few realized that AVH's groove and ability to swing was *just* as crucial to the VH sound and the success they had when they were at their peak.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny, I kind of jumped (no pun intended!) off the VH bandwagon during 1984. I like a few of the songs, (Jump isn't one of them) but I was lucky to have been in high school when they first came out, so I discovered them at the first album. All of those, up through Fair Warning were in constant rotation for me and my friends. Diver Down and 1984 began to lose me. Great band though.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I'm a fan of each VH lineup, and definitely 1984 had some great moments. I must say though, 5150 is one of the greatest rock records in recent history. Tons of energy, great songs, and stellar performances from the whole lineup. And while everyone points to Hot For Teacher as an example of Alex's double bass drum chops (and rightfully so), take a listen to "Get Up" from 5150 - simply killer.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a fan of each VH lineup, and definitely 1984 had some great moments. I must say though, 5150 is one of the greatest rock records in recent history. Tons of energy, great songs, and stellar performances from the whole lineup. And while everyone points to Hot For Teacher as an example of Alex's double bass drum chops (and rightfully so), take a listen to "Get Up" from 5150 - simply killer.
33 years ago... not really recent history. Time flies.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to see VH live a couple times. On 5150 I was able to sit behind Alex's kit for a couple seconds, but was not allowed to touch anything. He had simmons pads for toms, duct tape on the snare and everything felt like it was set up for a giant. I didn't get to meet the band but Michael Anthony said hi when he walked past me.

He was a huge influence on me, & I like the band with David or Sammy.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Too funny, I though EVH’s synth aged incredibly well. Did he and Geddy Lee introduce it right around the same time?

I really like the synth work on “I’ll Wait”. Also, AVH plays a relatively simple beat but just stumps you at the bridge.

One of my faves off this album.

Love his snare work and beat on this song the best though...

"
"

Latest posts