Awesome Snare Drum Ring for my Son

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them. Here is the 3D CAD drawing of the ring.
Dylan Ring 1.JPG

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
That’s gorgeous! Class rings are generally kinda meh, especially in HS. But to have a beaut like that, that has meaning for both of you, well that’s priceless.

The best part is it’s an Acro, so once you buy it, polish it up, and provide a good bullshit backstory it’ll be worth 3x what you paid for it!

Acro humor aside, it’s just awesome.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them. Here is the 3D CAD drawing of the ring. View attachment 460722
Looks like an Acro with the bowtie logs. Perfect!

m_anderson

Reaction score
This is really excellent! Wouldn't mind having one myself, but I don't wear jewelry. My parents bought my HS ring and I wore it one time, 42 years ago, on my graduation day. It's a very nice solid gold ring. I should let your jeweler melt it down and make something cool.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
That’s gorgeous! Class rings are generally kinda meh, especially in HS. But to have a beaut like that, that has meaning for both of you, well that’s priceless.

The best part is it’s an Acro, so once you buy it, polish it up, and provide a good bullshit backstory it’ll be worth 3x what you paid for it!

Acro humor aside, it’s just awesome.
Ha! Too accurate on the Acro humor. I do love the drum though.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
This is really excellent! Wouldn't mind having one myself, but I don't wear jewelry. My parents bought my HS ring and I wore it one time, 42 years ago, on my graduation day. It's a very nice solid gold ring. I should let your jeweler melt it down and make something cool.
I wore my class ring for a couple of years, no idea where it is now. I am definitely considering getting one of these for myself as well.

beto_drummer

Reaction score
Hello!
That finger ring looks really great! A lot of detail!!!

I'm not from U.S.A... If it's not a problem... could you tell me what a 10th grade ring is?
Do you finish school in 10th grade?
It's like a graduation or finishing school present?

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Hello!
That finger ring looks really great! A lot of detail!!!

I'm not from U.S.A... If it's not a problem... could you tell me what a 10th grade ring is?
Do you finish school in 10th grade?
It's like a graduation or finishing school present?
In the US, a lot of students get a class ring when they are in High School to show off their school allegiance or school pride. It will have the school name, their name, emblems of what sports or clubs they are into, and their graduation year. They are usually sterling silver to keep costs reasonable. High school here starts in either 9th or 10th grade depending on state/district and you graduate after 12th grade. You typically wear your class ring all through high school (and after that it is usually not worn).

Last edited:

beto_drummer

Reaction score
In the US, a lot of students get a class ring when they are in High School to show off their school allegiance or school pride. It will have the school name, their name, emblems of what sports or clubs they are into, and their graduation year. They are usually sterling silver to keep costs reasonable. High school here starts in either 9th or 10th grade depending on state/district and you graduate after 12th grade. You typically wear your class ring all through high school (and after that it is usually not worn).
Wooow... never thought of this kind of things.
Sounds great!
Thank you for your explanation!!!
:toothy7: And I repeat... it's a very beautiful ring!