header.nohb.html

Axis hardware

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there using Axis Vortex hardware ....... particularly snare and cymbal stands? I've recently picked up on this stuff, after years of familiarity with the Axis bass drum pedal. I really dig the light weight and precise feel of the stands; admittedly, the price is a downside. So I've been successful in finding used gear that needed rehab ..... currently using BD pedal (with "strap" conversion - works for me!), hi-hat, and snare stand. And looking for more stuff to rehab ......

I came up with my own design for the "basket" part of the snare stand; great as this 2 - piece concept is, I think the stock Axis design is a bit too fiddly ....... to put it diplomatically. I've made three prototypes which all work really well, are considerably lighter that the stocker, and potentially easier (cheaper?) to make. Of course, this last can't be said of my protos since they were machined piece by piece in my little basement machine shop and took hours to make (time = money ..... even mine!). I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

Please see my post under "wanted" - I could use another snare stand bottom tripod to experiment with .....

Mike

R

RickP

I bought a Hihat stand a couple months back and I really like the stand but absolutely hate the clutch.

I own thre Axis pedals that I love too. Two Longboards (a21 and X) and an A shortboard. Great pedals.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the idea of the longboards but I don't like the look and feel of a canti-levered one-sided support. I like the axle and cam to be supported on both sides. The Longboard just looks awkward, like the old Rogers swivo pedals. And for such huge $s it's just not going to happen for me.

I would like a Longboard-type pedal but with twin supports to the axle/shaft and thereby cam.

Otherwise, some of the Axis stuff looks pretty good.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
> tempobob -

Yes, I did convert a couple of Axis "A" series pedals to "strap drive" ...... by "strap" I mean a flexible connection in general. I had owned Axis pedals in the past, but never warmed to the action with the stock direct ball-bearing linkage. I don't really know exactly why ...... the pedal was for sure super smooth, but there was something about the solid connection that felt too rigid to me. I could never get the other adjustments to my liking; admittedly I'm a "lightfoot" heel-down player, with what I'd charitably call pretty p**s poor technique ...... but the quick doubles just weren't happening. I was also pretty used to strap drives by this point (Rogers swivo especially), but I never got around to trying to convert an Axis A to strap. It was only after trying this trick on another direct linkage pedal that I got hold of a borrowed incomplete Axis to experiment on .... with owner's permission, of course! I kludged something together just to try the concept, liked what I felt so made a couple of pivoting aluminum pieces joined by a short leather strap - same geometry, just the rigid connection decoupled. Definitely felt better (way better!) to me ....... again, I really can't say why. Now the pedal sports a piece of 1/16" stainless steel multi-strand "aircraft" cable making that pedal-to-cam connection. I now own it .... playing it all the time, trying to break it (I carry a spare ..... !). Really like the lighter, less rigid feel; works for me, anyway (but I'm not a "kicker"). And it looks hella minimalist cool ...... !

Mike

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On my super light and portable rig I use all Axis. Everything is great with 2 exceptions, I hate not having memory locks, and the snare basket is a POS. The pedal, hat and cymbal stands are superb.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
>> LimaPop -

I'd be happy to show off the details of my retrofit Axis snare basket idea. I've spoken with Darryl at Axis ....... he seemed intrigued, but not that interested. All I can say is that after moving the stock basket back and forth a couple of times between my favorite 14" and 13" snares, I have not looked back since making my own. That said, it was a lot of work and would require access to some decent machine tools ....... lathe, mill, band saw etc.

>>tempobob -

I'm not really in the business of doing mods or retrofits for consideration ....... just a retired engineer who plays jazz and loves to tinker and invent in a "hobby" machine shop. That said, I'd be happy to share details of my pedal mods if you'd care to have a go ......

The trouble with all of this custom hardware stuff is that when you add up the hours, making things by hand one at a time is a lousy business model.

Mike

maxb2k

Reaction score
RickP said:
I bought a Hihat stand a couple months back and I really like the stand but absolutely hate the clutch.
I own thre Axis pedals that I love too. Two Longboards (a21 and X) and an A shortboard. Great pedals.
Clutch is my favorite component of the hat stand. Do you have the upgraded or standard clutch?

R

RickP

maxb2k said:
Clutch is my favorite component of the hat stand. Do you have the upgraded or standard clutch?
I have two that were purchased this year, I was not aware there were two models.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tempobob, I'll take some pix when I get a moment.

Regarding the somewhat infamous Axis clutch: I was prepared to hate it when I picked up my used stand, had a nice Remo quick-lock all ready to go. But ...... I have to say that I liked it right off, find that it holds the top cymbal firmly in place without seeming to dampen it or strain it mechanically. All of my favorite hi-hat pairs seem to work better, particularly in regards to airlock (or lack thereof ..... !). I'm pretty sure my stand is several years old, so I doubt that the clutch is "upgraded". What did that entail?

Mike

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
This is the most over-priced, over-engineered stuff I ever saw. I don't get how a $180 snare stand or a $250 bass drum pedal is going to make an iota of difference in your ability to play music.

But if you like it, buy it! :occasion5:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
>maxb2k -

Yeah, mine is definitely the older clutch ..... but pretty much the same idea, except for a more elaborate tilt adjuster. It would be pretty easy to modify.

>rondrums51 -

Well, I can't disagree ..... especially the part about making any difference to one's playing ability. For me, the interest is all about the weight, and starting with an existing aluminum stand is my way of getting going with my own design. That's why I've been seeking out used stuff, especially pieces needing TLC. Plus, I dig the "over-engineering", in the sense that anything significantly lighter in weight is going to need plenty of it in order to be strong enough. Sure, there are flaws (besides the price!) ...... but it's also cool to see a company having a go right here in the USA.

Mike (an old engineer)

Track

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So far I've noticed two people who don't care for the snare baskets. Can you provide a little more insight as to why? Is it the arm adjustment with the worm screw(s)? Do you have the latest version with the neoprene bumpers on the ends or the older version with the channeled delrin end caps?
BTW - they now have even lighter hardware than the standard stands. Their straight cymbal stand weighs less than a pound. Makes gigging a breeze as long as you're not a basher.

R

RickP

maxb2k said:
here ya go . . . .
I have two of these and not thrilled with them. I like my Hihats sloshy and it kept loosening up on gigs on me. Loosening to the point that it disengaged. I love the Hihat stand, just not as thrilled with the clutch.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Titus Pullo said:
This is the most over-priced, over-engineered stuff I ever saw. I don't get how a $180 snare stand or a $250 bass drum pedal is going to make an iota of difference in your ability to play music.
It's not. But after the obvious weight savings, machined aluminum from a small American shop is going to cost more than Asian steel from giant overseas factories churning out chromed boat anchors.
LOL :occasion5:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments! Went to bed early last night so ....... late to the party .......

> Track -

My gripe with the snare basket is that the adjustment is tedious - it's hard to get the basket sized correctly and centered on the drum, plus getting it tight enough so it doesn't try to fall off when dismounting and bagging the drum. My older used stand has the delrin fingers; Darryl told me about the newer neoprene version, and for sure that would help with the problems I encountered. Once the basket is installed on the drum, there's really nothing wrong with it ....... so, if you've got several snares and can afford to buy a basket for each, you're cool. I did find that it was easy to foul the snares while adjusting the arms and mounting the basket, however.

My idea uses a totally different method of sizing on the drum rim: instead of telescoping tubes, there are three pivoting arms that close in on the rim. When installed, the arms look sorta like the "vortex" arrangement of the tripod itself (coincidence? Probably not ...... !). The fingers have rubber surfaces and a "knob" on their tops (hardware store "crutch" tips), and the arms are held in place by the friction of the nylon washer pivots. Works great ....... totally secure so far on many a gig.

>RickP -

I can see where the clutch would be inadequate if you like your top cymbal really loose and the pair super sloshy. The thing would definitely try to loosen ....... but most other clutches would too. I've had the bottom nut fall off when sitting in on a strange kit more than once. I recommend the Remo quick-lock design (I think there is a Taye version also) with its spring-loaded top felt.

>Titus Pullo -

That's it exactly. Small (relatively) American shop, innovative designs manufactured in comparatively small batches using CAD and subtractive machining of solid billet rather than huge volume and cast pot metal. You can sure make solid hardware on a large scale with the second option - it will be a lot cheaper, especially made overseas ...... but a LOT heavier.

>Rudy Mints-

Good question ...... that's why I want to get my hands on one of those cymbal stands. Maybe have to buy a new one ...... ! I see no reason why the Vortex stand shouldn't be able to support a flying tom ...... don't know about the super lightweight stand mentioned by Track. One thing: the anodized finish of the stand tubes will be marred a bit by the clamp, unlike a good chrome plate. But the thicker walled aluminum tube will be unlikely to crush like some of the lighter thin wall steel tubes do. I've flown my left hand ride off my Axis hi-hat many times using a clamp-on boom arm.

Sorry for length!

M.