Axis Longboards Slave Pedal Problem

RivaL

Reaction score
Hello guys,
i have had my axis longboards only for like 5 weeks or so until i ran into issues with the slave part of the pedal. (bought a used pair online in my country) It responded differently just over night, it feels like some part is loose or there is shaft friction or something! I put 2 video files in there, maybe you can hear what i mean! I tried to lube all the moving parts and tightened the screws, as i thought something wasnt adjusted right.
Please, let me know if you have had these issues as well or what i could try to solve the problem. I dont believe that it is a big issue or that anything is truly broken, I think im just a scrub with those directs pedals and messed something up touching the springs or so.
Thanks in advance!
-RivaL

PS: sry for my english, im not as descriptive as english isnt my mothers tongue.

3 Video files here (Volume up!):

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello guys,
i have had my axis longboards only for like 5 weeks or so until i ran into issues with the slave part of the pedal. (bought a used pair online in my country) It responded differently just over night, it feels like some part is loose or there is shaft friction or something! I put 2 video files in there, maybe you can hear what i mean! I tried to lube all the moving parts and tightened the screws, as i thought something wasnt adjusted right.
Please, let me know if you have had these issues as well or what i could try to solve the problem. I dont believe that it is a big issue or that anything is truly broken, I think im just a scrub with those directs pedals and messed something up touching the springs or so.
Thanks in advance!
-RivaL

PS: sry for my english, im not as descriptive as english isnt my mothers tongue.

- Perhaps your left foot board hits the rest of the pedal on the upstroke. I've not experienced that ; you might try reducing the foot board angle a bit.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The clicking sound is pretty obvious in the first video as the left pedal loses momentum, but sounds more like a low pitched, softer thump and slight rubbing sound.
Look for any bright (in comparison to how the metal generally looks) spots that would indicate that is hitting something, in order to narrow the parts down.
I would do a "slop" or "Lash" check in the driveline and look for any indication of unwanted parts movement. I would grab hold of the beater with my right hand (give it some back/forth movement) and then work backwards with my left hand feeling each and every part to the left pedal for issues... which you may have already done?

Reddy

Reaction score
Hello guys,
Thanks in advance!
-RivaL

Hop has some great ideas. It looks like there is a looseness in the area where I showed in the image. I would take the arm off and check everything out on the pedal first. The “L” bracket to the 2nd beater is flopping around a bit when it is returning to position on its own. Something there is loose/ worn out. Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: Hop

flurbs

Reaction score
Quite simply, something is loose. From the slave axle right through the shaft to the left beater holder, it's supposed to be completely tight without any play anywhere. If you hold the slave board still you'll be able to 'wiggle' the beater (or vice versa). Follow the movement and tell me exactly which part is loose?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it's not something you can fix, reach out to Axis on their website. I've found them to be very helpful - and I've sent them a few pedals for refurb over the past 30 or so years. Great folks doing a great job, IMHO.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
… It looks like there is a looseness in the area where I showed in the image. I would take the arm off and check everything out on the pedal first. The “L” bracket to the 2nd beater is flopping around a bit when it is returning to position on its own...
That was the first part that popped out to me as "most likely culprit to give RivaL a bad time!!!"

J-dubya

Reaction score
I hear a clacking sound in the first video but not the second. The difference between the videos is that you are releasing the slave entirely in the first and keeping pressure on it in the second, correct?
I would check the hinge of the slave pedal. I had a similar issue on mine and the hinge had play in it and needed replacing. Axis customer service is exceptional and the replacement parts are relatively inexpensive.

RivaL

Reaction score
Hello again,
first of all, wow so many responses in just such a short time span, thank you all for that!

After sitting down and detaching the shaft from the two parts i came to another conclusion....
i think the sound, the click-clacking, its coming from the left side of the slave pedal structure! i just tried messing with it for an hour again.... once i take the transmission shaft off its no sound, runs smoothly. it must be some problem between the shaft and the docking part of the transmission! But yeah as @Reddy mentioned, it might be the L segment for the slave on the master pedal!
I never thought i would be able to do any harm to this pedal, Lol. As i play heeldown/ankle, and i see most drummers totally bashing in on those, like heavy hitters!

The old parts on this well-beaten pedal could be an issue, i agree, but it pretty sure wasnt a scam @Hop , the drummer is pretty famous on YT actually, im not gonna drop any names, but it must have been bad luck for me, if something is truly broken! I have another mutual drummer friend who could reach out to him, but i dont want to do any of that, it happenend on my end so yeah...

Another question... is it possible to "over-oil" something? Like 1-2 weeks ago i grabbed some bike-oil spray (oh god) to lube all the moving parts, as i thought they could need some of that. When i look at the transmission shaft, its like clumpy, yellow residue sticking between the gaps. Could that be harmful for a fluid movement? Should these hinges flap back when you bend them to any direction? Because if that is the case then that might be the problem! Here are pictures, so you know what i mean!

Thx again
-RivaL

Attachments

J-dubya

Reaction score
Interesting. I've owned 3 of these (2 currently) double pedals and have only seen the footboard to baseplate hinges wear out (they've updated the design since) causing this exact same clacking sound issue that was difficult to trace down at first. I would think there would have to be very noticeable play in the u-joints of the shaft in order to make such a sound. If you suspect it's coming from that area, my first instinct would be to check the connection of the drive shaft u-joint to the primary pedal shaft since it is hex shaped, and could cause this noise, but I would think a lose connection would be very obvious.
As for that "L" shaped piece that the secondary beater attaches to, that could be your culprit, but that should never have been loosened from the shaft, ever, in the past, and if it had been, the heads of the screws would certainly be stripped out. You typically need extractors to get any of the screws out of these pedal assemblies. Axis uses threadlocker on all of those fasteners. That and dissimilar metals don't make the screw removal process very easy at all.
As for the "over-oiling", I don't think it's possible. That yellow gunk looks like it's either white lithium grease that has oozed out after you lubed it, or you possibly used a bike lube that is more of a "wax" (like a chain-wax, designed to cling to the chain) rather than an oil. If the joints are tight, I would recommend spraying them with something that would clean out the old grease and then re-lube.
You don't state your location, but if you can, call Karen at Axis and ask her what she thinks might be going on (you'll likely have to leave a message). Like I said, the only issues I've ever had were the footboard (heel plate) hinge assembly. Especially with the older units with a lot of miles on them. If you haven't checked that area yet, I recommend doing so before moving on.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: Hop

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with J-dubya… you can't really over oil something like that. If you did then merely wipe the excess so it doesn't eventually drip on the floor, but it won't hurt the parts.
The bike chain spray may also have some cleaner in it (check the ingredients for light petroleum distillates) that could chase some of that stock grease out of there. The only thing I would recommend is not to mix lubricants. Either clean the old grease out and apply some fresh grease in its place, or clean it out and use the lighter lubricant. I would also recommend sticking with the stock lube material - like J-dubya mentioned - is probably white grease of (lithium grease). Lighter lubricants evaporate after a short period of time and then becomes a frequent maintenance item. Grease doesn't evaporate, however its qualities don't last forever and do need some kind of infrequent/periodic maintenance after a couple of years. I'm sure Axis would share what type of lube they use readily.

RivaL

Reaction score
I see, so i actually think at this point, there might be several parts, which arent functioning correctly!

I came here to see if i could solve this on my own, but i guess i will send it to this special drumtech guy, reasonably near to my location, and just let it get fixed properly! Always thought i could save myself these (atleast) 70bucks for shipping and service, but i guess this has gotten more difficult than i expected! If there are parts broken, the price for the service will go up for sure.

And no, @J-dubya , i actually dont know about Karen, but i guess shes located in the US? Im located in Vienna, Austria. The shop im trying to get my pedals fixed at does service and custom builds for Axis, Trick, CK and so on... Plus they actually build their own highend pedals for about 2k... Lol.

So yeah.. i think thats what im going to do, or do you guys have any other idea?
And yes those special screws on heelplate and other parts are incredibly hard to get open, i wouldnt even have the right tools and equipment to disassemble the whole thing, if i wanted it!

Thanks

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If they are authorized to do work for Axis, you should be good.

RivaL

Reaction score
Yessir, im going to let you all know, what he found, what the issues were, as soon as i get the report back!
thanks @ all for the input!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a bummer you've got to go through this hassle, but at least they pedal will be "fresh" after servicing them.

J-dubya

Reaction score
Good luck with the repair and let us know what you found out.
I'm super curious because, not to sound like a broken record, but after seeing the videos again, it sounds and behaves exactly like a broken heel plate hinge. That clack when allowed to go free, but mostly silent when pressure is on it, is identical to what I've experienced with two of mine. Even the tone is the same.
Regardless, like Hop said, it will be nice to have a refreshed pedal set when it's all said and done.

RivaL

Reaction score
Hello guys,
sorry for being a week late or so!

Soo... the pedals are back and running as smooth as ever! Freshly refurbished and some new parts added! The actual problem was really tiny (as i assumed it to be), i will have the pictures attached to this post. The following part just got loose and I couldnt fix it using our hex wrench sizes, as we use metric keys opposed to "you" who have standardized imperial keys! (If i am right) I always thought about what kind of screws those could be, but never really figured it out until he told me so!
pedal.jpg

What he optionally offered was removing the old heelblocks against his own-built parts, which supposedly should close the "gaps" on the heel of the mechanical part! At first i was a bit shocked about the price of the parts when bought solely, but he really offered me a great deal, so it was a no-brainer to get those! He also sent me the old AXIS heel blocks to compare the differences on my own, but i got to say i dont wanna mess anything up again, so i just kept them in the small little box! They new ones feel more direct and stiff though, if its not just placebo-effect!:flower:
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 00.51.57 (1).jpeg

Shoutout to some of the previous posts, people have been writing about the well-known problems and aches with the original heel blocks on this exact model, i guess its certified now! (newer models should have reworked parts so i was told)

So thank you all for your input on my problem, this is an awesome forum!:headbang:

Attachments

Latest posts