Axis Remote Hi-Hat

Chondros

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, actually I'm new to forums in general. Out of my own excitement, I wanted to share a few pictures of the DIY Axis remote hi-hat i made. It took about a week to make and 3 or 4 little changes. What I wound up with amazed me. It has no lag from cable, and is very smooth. I have tried DW's, the Trick, and an off brand remote. Luckily what i came up with works better that all of them. The only thing i am not 100% happy with is the rod rotates a little easier than I would like. Under normal play it is not noticed at all, with the drop clutch i use on it, you have to be a tad more accurate when hitting the dropper with stick. I have a Pearl drop clutch which has a side dropper. I think if I used another brand with a top hit dropper it would work fine. As far as build, I have been in the bicycle industry for 34 years, so I used mostly small bicycle parts in my design. The most important was the cable, which is a very high quality inner brake cable and compressionless brake housing. Besides the Axis stand there is about $25-$35 of extra supplies and parts. Unfortunately I didn't get any close up pictures of the internals, I will eventually take some and add them to the post. Here are pictures of the finished product.

Attachments

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, actually I'm new to forums in general. Out of my own excitement, I wanted to share a few pictures of the DIY Axis remote hi-hat i made. It took about a week to make and 3 or 4 little changes. What I wound up with amazed me. It has no lag from cable, and is very smooth. I have tried DW's, the Trick, and an off brand remote. Luckily what i came up with works better that all of them. The only thing i am not 100% happy with is the rod rotates a little easier than I would like. Under normal play it is not noticed at all, with the drop clutch i use on it, you have to be a tad more accurate when hitting the dropper with stick. I have a Pearl drop clutch which has a side dropper. I think if I used another brand with a top hit dropper it would work fine. As far as build, I have been in the bicycle industry for 34 years, so I used mostly small bicycle parts in my design. The most important was the cable, which is a very high quality inner brake cable and compressionless brake housing. Besides the Axis stand there is about $25-$35 of extra supplies and parts. Unfortunately I didn't get any close up pictures of the internals, I will eventually take some and add them to the post. Here are pictures of the finished product.

Hey there ..... and welcome!

Looks like a nice job you've done there! Seems like your hats are located over on the right side of your kit; how long is the cable?

Some years ago I built something similar, more or less from scratch - see pics. My goal was a "center hi-hat", so my cable was very short (18") and direct. It works pretty well, but I've gone back to the simplicity of the conventional setup with my jazz microkit. The center placement was great for fast hi-hat riding playing rock tunes without crossing over.

Love to see more details. Using Axis stuff as a basis is a great idea .... I use a lot of Axis gear myself. And I can relate to the "bicycle connection"; as a long time cyclist (both motor and pedal) and machinist, I use the synergy of the two disciplines all the time!

DF2CE1CA-82B3-4AF4-8C00-2473CC789210.jpeg
A1E010EA-28E4-4107-8423-FED3E7C5BB2D.jpeg
643209A5-D8F6-4D97-80E5-9410CC3B6B47.jpeg
B58071B8-FBE0-4381-BBB1-52F01FCBDF49.jpeg

Mike

Chondros

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind replies!
Mike, that's a very cool looking remote that you made. The cable I use is about 5 feet. I could probably drop 6 or 8 inches, but it would not matter. It's funny, I didn't really have a need for the remote hats but I had a spare hi hat sitting around and I was bored with an idea. So now my kit is bigger.

Latest posts