Ayotte love

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Got this lovely Ayotte 4,5 x 14" snare yesterday. Guess it was time for me to jump on the Ayotte train! This thing is heavy - a lot of hardware on a small drum like this.

Bought it from London, UK (I'm in Sweden). Store said it was from 1991, seemed a bit off so I asked Ayotte if they had more information about the snare and...

Yes, they had. This is what I got back from the extremely helpful Sébasitien Breton at Ayotte:

"P-530: Mirror Black - 14" x 41/2 Pro maple Series - Sent to Foote's Drums & Percussion in London U.K. March 7th 1994. 6 ply shell + 6 ply of reinf. ring".

Maybe this snare stayed in London until now? Who knows.

Excellent condition given its age. However the throw off is a bit so so. I ordered a replacement Rack & Pinion Snare Release from Ayotte (the new one). Expect it to arrive late next week. Today I put on a new reso and changed the snare wires. Cool sounding drum. Saw Blair Sinta play a similar 13x3 a while back and this one also does the "splat"/bzzzt sound really well, but also shines at higher tunings. I expect it to have even more shine with a new throw off. But let's see. Maybe I will leave the old one on since the new one will require the holes to be slightly enlarged.

Anyone else here playing Ayotte?

Attachments

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I used to and I miss it the most of all the kits I've owned. It was just too nice to gig with so I let it go. Miss it to this day.

Congrats on a great drum.
That's a nice kit. I know the feeling. Just being curious, what did you get in its place?

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice one! What sizes?

How did you like the snare? What heads/wires/tunings did you prefer?

Thx
Thanks! Sizes are 10X8, 14X14, 18X15.
This kit has a controlled, organic, warm and surprisingly dry tone. The look, finish and quality of construction are excellent. The wood hoops make the drum drier, warmer and quieter. It has a great tuning range and sounds good with any heads. The 18x15 bass drum is quite powerful. I just wanted to groove when I sat behind this kit. It’s a great compact and versatile kit.

I liked the snare. It's very versatile. It has plenty of warmth and articulation to be a great jazz snare, but also has enough crack and power to be a great Rock snare.
I preferred Evans PCRD/Hazy 300 on it, with a medium-tight batter and pretty tight reso.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Thanks! Sizes are 10X8, 14X14, 18X15.
This kit has a controlled, organic, warm and surprisingly dry tone. The look, finish and quality of construction are excellent. The wood hoops make the drum drier, warmer and quieter. It has a great tuning range and sounds good with any heads. The 18x15 bass drum is quite powerful. I just wanted to groove when I sat behind this kit. It’s a great compact and versatile kit.

I liked the snare. It's very versatile. It has plenty of warmth and articulation to be a great jazz snare, but also has enough crack and power to be a great Rock snare.
I preferred Evans PCRD/Hazy 300 on it, with a medium-tight batter and pretty tight reso.

Nice sizes. I bet that kit was fun to play. I saw an Ayotte bop kit on eBay a couple of months ago, located in France. Oh my, if I only had the money...

Yes, also my impression that these drums are quite dry and warm sounding, bordering on "tubby" if you put heads on that counteract with the drums inherent layout/design. I went for Ambassador Hazy bottom and Vintage Ambassador top on the snare.

Still need to figure out wether or not to change the throw off. Putting on the new Ayotte I ordered means that the holes needs to be slightly enlarged and that in turn means that the original throw off will not fit. On the other hand, with a new throw off the snare will be more reliable/ready to gig and probably will have a more "even" snare sound/tension.

Let's see.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not an Ayotte player...yet. Picked this bad boy up on a curb alert. It has the most beautiful Maple Re-Ringed Keller shells and I’m about half way through removing the veneer for a redo.
AA7EB85C-4E1F-4748-B1EB-723FC9F290E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Blisco

Reaction score
That's a nice kit. I know the feeling. Just being curious, what did you get in its place?
I took a shot on a new line of kits called Keystone. Always wanted an USA Ludwig and the deal I found was too good to pass up. It served me perfectly for 6+ years and nearly 300 gigs! It was the right call. Wrapped was just better for that much handling.

If I had more than a 'drum room', I'd have kept the Ayotte as a centerpiece and practice kit. Sadly, my room is too small for all that. It was a once-in-a-lifetime kit for sure.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
That kit must have seen a lot :) But yeah, always have to consider what and where your drums will be used. I plan on gigging this Ayotte :)

purity

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of their drums ever since I first saw them. I still think their lugs and mounting system are some of the most aesthetically pleasing that have been put on a kit. Is there any other company that either licensed Ayotte's lugs or copied them?

Blisco

Reaction score
I first saw them in 97 at my favorite local drum shop. Blown away. But I could never afford it. One day, the dream appeared before me and I couldn't resist its song. What do they say about getting what you wish for? It was better than imagined but wholly impractical to gig. Still, thee best sounding kit I've ever owned. Ayotte really figured out how to do wood hoops right. The claws were so thin as to be invisible under the stick. Everyone else is using bass drum claws and that is just soooo wrong. I'm surprised the Ayotte designs haven't ended up in other drum company offerings. The lugs were genius, for example.

Here's my too tiny drum room in 2012 with the kit set up against the wall

Here's my favorite shot of the kit. The gig was one of the few that I took it on. I played a LOT less than I do now so I can't even imagine....
The bass head is from Drum Art and I think it was a perfect match for the kit and band. By the way, I had to get permission from the artist in Britain to use his image. Sadly, the band lasted only a short time and all I have left is the head on the wall.

Taken a minute ago. My still too tiny drum room with the head (and others) on the wall as picture art

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really liked my Ayotte's. Just great sounding, easy to tune. Very dynamic playing. The best made set I've ever owned and gorgeous. Family medical emergency caused me to sell them. They still live on with a forum brotha......
IMG_1894.jpg

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I first saw them in 97 at my favorite local drum shop. Blown away. But I could never afford it. One day, the dream appeared before me and I couldn't resist its song. What do they say about getting what you wish for? It was better than imagined but wholly impractical to gig. Still, thee best sounding kit I've ever owned. Ayotte really figured out how to do wood hoops right. The claws were so thin as to be invisible under the stick. Everyone else is using bass drum claws and that is just soooo wrong. I'm surprised the Ayotte designs haven't ended up in other drum company offerings. The lugs were genius, for example.

Here's my too tiny drum room in 2012 with the kit set up against the wall

Here's my favorite shot of the kit. The gig was one of the few that I took it on. I played a LOT less than I do now so I can't even imagine....
The bass head is from Drum Art and I think it was a perfect match for the kit and band. By the way, I had to get permission from the artist in Briton to use his image. Sadly, the band lasted only a short time and all I have left is the head on the wall.

Taken a minute ago. My still too tiny drum room with the head (and others) on the wall as picture art

Beautiful!

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of their drums ever since I first saw them. I still think their lugs and mounting system are some of the most aesthetically pleasing that have been put on a kit. Is there any other company that either licensed Ayotte's lugs or copied them?
I don't think so. I agree, truly different design, the lugs, hoops, throw off.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Here are my former Ayotte kit and snare.
I don't miss them, but they were great drums.

Ayotte Custom Kit (Deep Plum Maple)

Ayotte Custom Maple Snare Drum 14X5.5
Same kit? Wow, wish it was closer to Sweden... If not the whole kit, at least the snare.

Latest posts