Ayotte Still In Business?

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent dealings with Ayotte. I know they went through a rough period with horror stories of delays and unfulfilled orders, and then it seemed like things were starting to improve a while back with a change in ownership.

I picked up a Ray-era snare drum a couple of months ago, and placed an order on Ayotte's on-line store for some replacement lug locks. They processed the PayPal payment, sent me an automated e-mail confirmation saying my order was awaiting fulfillment, and then...nothing. Sent a few e-mails over the next few weeks asking for an update and didn't get a response, and it wasn't until I opened a PayPal dispute that I got a reply that just said "order refunded".

The local drum shop says they haven't had any luck with communications for a while, and the last update on the Ayotte Facebook page is from last May. If they are done for good, that's sad - the craftsmanship on the snare's shell and finish is pretty incredible.

IMG_4826.JPG

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The last I heard, they were still in business but that's been a year or so. I also heard that Ray Ayotte had re-joined the new owners in some sort of capacity. Not sure if that is still in play.

R

RickP

I was told Ray Ayotte has no affiliation with Ayotte drums currently .

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could fill pages on this topic but I will only say this: Never a company got it so right as far as product quality and so wrong as far as customer service, or dealer service for that matter. Really sad . I am not sure if they are still doing business or not but since they do not answer or return calls, they may as well be closed.

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The burden has been on Ayotte for the better part of the last decade to prove they're a legitimate concern and they haven't seemed too inclined to make good. I wouldn't send a dime their way. I can't remember the last time I saw someone have a positive experience with them.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
They haven't ever recovered from their early 2000's meltdown, take over, and eventual disintegration. Sad because they made incredible drums with some serious tone. I had a beautiful tobacco sunburst wood hoop kit that sold a few years back when I stopped gigging.

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i bought some parts from the "new" ayotte (new owner and new location) several years ago as they were just making a new go at it....i'm glad i was able to get those parts...i bought them direct at that time with no problems.

sad to hear that they may be struggling , but here's their newer 2016 website....

http://www.ayottedrums.com/

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RickP said:
I was told Ray Ayotte has no affiliation with Ayotte drums currently .
Ray Ayotte rejoined the company in December 2013, but left again in early 2015, unable to make contact with new owner Jean-Denis Bedoine and after the Company stopped paying his consulting fee.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's too bad that Ray Ayotte can't seem to,get his name back from these guys. Their price is probably too high. If that were ever to happen, maybe he could give it another run and have some success with what is essentially his innovation. It's pretty sad, actually. My own "Ray era" drums are incredible. Sound and build. In a league of their own.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the best sounding drum kits I have ever heard/owned was a wood-hooped Ayotte set bought in 2001 - after Ray left. The thing was fantastic sounding, I mean just phenomenal. Unfortunately, I was gigging a ton, and the finish was very, very delicate. (I think it got scratched when someone sneezed on it.) As a gigging drummer, I just couldn't handle the fragility of the set, so I sold it. I would love to own another one of their sets since I am no longer actively gigging.

I hope they get their business back on track.

Track

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OttawaDrumGuy said:
I had read a thread from about a year ago in which Jean-Denis posted a few replies to questions about Ayotte, and I thought they might be on the road to recovery. http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/108522-anyone-done-business-with-ayotte-drums-recently/?hl=ayotte

His last activity on the site was May 24, though - coincidentally, the day after the company's last Facebook post. Suppose it was too much to hope for.
JDs last Instagram update was today. He was processing some black hoops. I hope he can get the company back on track. He's a very nice guy in person. I got my custom share after nearly a year. It was worth every penny.

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i don't have new info about them, but earlier this year a guy contacted me looking for ayotte parts because he tried for a year to contact them and no one ever replied.

he bought all the ayotte parts i had (which wasn't alot) even if he didn't need them. he told me replacment tom wood hoops are priced insanely high, not to mention shipping from canada.

the last time i seen ayotte's presence in the u.s. market was when i worked at a music store and we carried ayotte. this was the mid to late 90's. perhaps it would be different in other areas but i haven't seen anything ayotte in the so-cal since. not even used.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just got an e-mail that the status of my order has been changed from "refunded" to "shipped". Sounds promising.

And yes, JD's Instagram page does have a few recent photos of drums being made, so looks like they're still alive and kicking.

Dunnett_Classic

Reaction score
While I am not at liberty to discuss any details at this point, I am currently working with Ray on a new project. For now the best place to watch for further info is the Drums Only! Facebook page.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Dunnett said:
While I am not at liberty to discuss any details at this point, I am currently working with Ray on a new project. For now the best place to watch for further info is the Drums Only! Facebook page.
Hi Ronn! Welcome to DFO. My username is 'Mike LaFontaine' at www.drumsmith.com

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am seeing new Ayotte kits being sold at Timpano Percussion in Montreal (close to where they are now made). Not an indicator of company health, but they still exist. There is a kit with a 20 x 12" kick that I would just love to own! The pic is of me playing a backline Ayotte kit in La Grande Place, Brussels. Great gig on a great kit!

Attachments

BNK

Reaction score
Sorry to drudge up a very old thread, the latest one I could find regarding Ayotte was this one https://www.drumforum.org/threads/help-with-ayotte.155178/ but felt this was more appropriate topic.

Recently picked up a beautiful Ayotte Keplinger snare with steel hoops and would love to order the "Hoop Conversion Kit" mentioned on the new Ayotte website but have been unable to get any response.

Has there been any definitive news regarding Ayotte?. Last post on Twitter was nearly 6 years ago and last post on Facebook was 3 years ago.

Is Ayotte officially done?.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have often wondered this myself. Last I heard, the machinery was moved to Quebec, but I never saw or heard of any drums coming out of the new shop. This is such a shame because Ayotte had so much forward momentum in the mid 90s-mid 2000s...so many players were showing up with their kits. I had a woodhoop kit made for me around 2000 that was fabulous...I should have kept that one.

Latest posts