Ayotte Still In Business?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am seeing new Ayotte kits being sold at Timpano Percussion in Montreal (close to where they are now made). Not an indicator of company health, but they still exist. There is a kit with a 20 x 12" kick that I would just love to own! The pic is of me playing a backline Ayotte kit in La Grande Place, Brussels. Great gig on a great kit!
I've been there and I loved it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
In their website splash page, (bottom left) it says "©2020". So someone is at least maintaining the website. Maybe they aren't responding due to the Covid situation. I've experienced this with numerous companies in the last couple of months.

BNK

Reaction score
In their website splash page, (bottom left) it says "©2020". So someone is at least maintaining the website. Maybe they aren't responding due to the Covid situation. I've experienced this with numerous companies in the last couple of months.
Covid-19 shutdown could be to blame but DFO is full of threads with people having an impossible time reaching anyone from Ayotte over the last 10+ years. Also, most Youtube videos show JD working alone in the Ayotte shop so now would be an ideal time to play catch up if they were still viable.

I want to order a spare throw off just in case the one on my Ayotte snare breaks but am afraid to send money to the Ayotte store after all the horror stories I've read on DFO.

Seems highly unlikely that Ayotte could ever overcome the anger and lack of trust associated with their brand.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's sad! At least their webmaster must be getting paid, Lol!!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m debating putting wood hoops on my Fibes kit ....I always wanted an Ayotte kit .

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe COVID got to them early-- like 3 years ago. :D. They haven't responded in forever. I'd only ever buy another Ayotte kit if it was complete with no need for parts.

Anyone who's dying for the sound should get one of those PDP classic kits. They're not exactly there, but they're in the right direction. I do wish they'd come back, though.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I fear sometimes buying from companies like that because they can become "fly by night" operations. Then your stuck with it! Sometimes it's just better to go mainstream in order to get support. Some people don't care about that but I personally do (for the most part). If you need a part later on, it usually exists when it's a brand name company. But the problem comes down to innovation which you usually get from these small companies. I've bought things like that, if it's been something that totally wow's me, I ignore the instinct to resist. I've been bitten by that more than once!
When I bought my Offset pedal which I love, I also bought spare shafts, hardware, etc.. Just in case!
Either way, sorry that you Ayotte fans have been going through these issues. Stinks!

BNK

Reaction score
A quick search revelaled Jean-Denis Beaudoin's LinkedIn page shows he's been general manager of Jussaume (commercial/industrial furniture manufacturing) since March of 2018 so maybe he's very busy with that.

He still has CEO/Owner of Ayotte listed from 2012 to present so he hasn't publicly ended that project at least.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the mid 90's I wanted an Ayotte set so badly, in fact I still do!

The trick for me is finding a set with the right sizes. I want a 20, 12, 14, 16, I don't want deep sizes, and I want my floor toms with legs. Oh yeah, and there is that cost thing!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the mid 90's I wanted an Ayotte set so badly, in fact I still do!

The trick for me is finding a set with the right sizes. I want a 20, 12, 14, 16, I don't want deep sizes, and I want my floor toms with legs. Oh yeah, and there is that cost thing!
I had a wood hooped 12/14ft/16ft/18bd/22bd with a Keplinger. Silver Sparkle lacquer. For the life of me I don't know what I was thinking when I sold it.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a wood hooped 12/14ft/16ft/18bd/22bd with a Keplinger. Silver Sparkle lacquer. For the life of me I don't know what I was thinking when I sold it.
Yeah there was a gold sparkle lacquer for sale locally to me recently but it was a 24" bass and had a deeper 12" tom so the sizes didn't work for me but man was it ever beautiful. The lacquer sparkle with wood hoops and Ayotte lugs is just such a nice look and instantly recognizable.

BNK

Reaction score
So sad, such a demand for Ayotte drums and no one seems able to get things going again.

Chris Lombardi & John Good, any interest in acquiring yet another languishing drum company?.