B-Stock

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never bought a B-stock item and I've read what the "imperfections" could be but it could be anything from how I understand it.

I keep looking at Supras and see a lot of new B-stocks reasonably priced but it seems like it could be spin-the-wheel maybe and is it worth it to save a Benj or two?

Who's bought B-stock items and what did you find with them?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ludwig B-stock snare. As you mentioned, they seem to be marked this way due to minor cosmetic imperfections, often on the inside of the shell. They have different badges (cut B/O badge on 5x14 Supras, and full B/O badge on 6.5x14 Supras) rather than the keystone badges on A-stock Supras, but I can't see why this would matter.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have,a BB for $350 years ago,a pimple in the finish on the inner flange of the bearing edge!
Never seen,never effected the performance of that drum,ever.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never bought a B-stock item and I've read what the "imperfections" could be but it could be anything from how I understand it.

I keep looking at Supras and see a lot of new B-stocks reasonably priced but it seems like it could be spin-the-wheel maybe and is it worth it to save a Benj or two?

Who's bought B-stock items and what did you find with them?

I’ve recently purchased the following items as B-stock:

Ludwig Black Beauty - “smudge” in the finish inside. It looks like a spot of grease on the inside of the shell, but it’s not cleanable

Gretsch Bell Brass - the knurling around the center was misaligned, so there’s a small segment where there’s a “ghost” second set of knurling

Warm Audio WA273 preamp - slight chip-out of the paint/powder coat near the rack mount holes.

Warm Audio DI box - tiny scuff on the outer shell

No problems with any of them - definitely was worth the cost savings for all items, IMO.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
B stock can be almost anything from repaired major damage to "trick to get around minimum advertised price". Usually it is just cosmetic stuff

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a B Supra , only blemish was on inside . And it was very minimal.
Had I bought it as A I’d have never known better ….

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a B-stock Gretsch Bell Brass, and it was ok cosmetically, but the strainer had a broken plastic strap. Lesson learned? Caveat emptor.

Dan

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had a few B stock Ludwig snares and have seen drums that you can’t find a flaw on. I currently have a Black Beauty and you can see light scratches on a couple of the panels. Nothing bad. I just sold a COB Supraphonic and it has this plating issue:
42BE86F7-BD31-4EDA-8553-F57D7A656CFC.jpeg

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a B stock Supra once. Everything was perfect on the exterior. The interior had some spots that looked like an oil spill - kind of rainbow/peacock looking areas.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a B stock Supra once. Everything was perfect on the exterior. The interior had some spots that looked like an oil spill - kind of rainbow/peacock looking areas.
Sounds like they should charge extra for that. :p

So I'm maybe working a deal for an aluminum 6.5x14 Supra B with a couple of vendors and might give it a go. I lost my GAS a while back and sold off a few snares I tried and wasn't crazy about. I have an Oriollo aluminum "frankenstein" snare that I absolutely love and I'd like to give the Supra a try. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Drums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After reading so many great reports of Ludwig B-Stock drums I purchased a 6.5” Black Beauty the other day. I should have it by Tuesday—can’t wait to play it! (Also just bought a used 6.5” Copperphonic Pewter that I have coveted for some time. It’ll be interesting to compare with the BB…)

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Oriollo aluminum "frankenstein" snare that I absolutely love and I'd like to give the Supra a try.
I've heard several people say they prefer the Oriollo stuff to a Ludwig. Interested to hear your take on it. I haven't had the chance to play an Oriollo.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
I know nothing about this so please bear with me. Couldn't one company's B-Stock be another company's X-Stock? How do you know what's an acceptable "B"?

On a side note, I am a fan of refurbished items (particularly electronic), so I am probably a good candidate for such.

Just asking. . .

Reaction score
I know nothing about this so please bear with me. Couldn't one company's B-Stock be another company's X-Stock? How do you know what's an acceptable "B"?

On a side note, I am a fan of refurbished items (particularly electronic), so I am probably a good candidate for such.

Just asking. . .
It would vary between companies, but it's anyone's guess.

From what I've heard/read, I don't think Ludwig know how to define what they consider A and B Stock. I have heard people with Ludwig A Stock report more/worse problems than those with B Stock (some can't even find an issue with their B Stock).

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they should charge extra for that. :p

So I'm maybe working a deal for an aluminum 6.5x14 Supra B with a couple of vendors and might give it a go. I lost my GAS a while back and sold off a few snares I tried and wasn't crazy about. I have an Oriollo aluminum "frankenstein" snare that I absolutely love and I'd like to give the Supra a try. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If you have an aluminum snare you love why get a Supra ?? If you don’t have a brass drum I’d strongly suggest a BB . My 5x14 Hanmered BB is a dream so far .

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought a few B stock items and they’ve all been great, zero complaints.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you have an aluminum snare you love why get a Supra ?? If you don’t have a brass drum I’d strongly suggest a BB . My 5x14 Hanmered BB is a dream so far .
Totally fair question. I want to see what the difference is with the Supra. I only know what I know and if I don't like it there's a market to sell it, I might only be out a few bucks or whatever.

I've never had the opportunity (or drive tbh) to play different stuff and now I do a little. Doing a little more homework before I buy anything though.

I did have a brass snare. PDP Ace. It was ok but I sold it off to pare down my (just a couple actually) snare stock.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm fan of B-stock from way back. In my experience, and I admit luck could have plenty to do with it, but almost everything I've ever bought as "B-stock" was indistinguishable from brand new in every way, and came in the original packaging, with (sealed) original documentation and full warranty. Both recording gear (ADAT, Tascam DA-20) and drum gear.

Most recently, I bought a B-stock 13x6 Tama STAR Maple snare in Ocean Blue Curly Maple from Dale's Drum Shop; I saw it on their weekly email. At the time, these were selling for $999 (since early 2022, the new price is $1299), but Dale's was selling it for $599. At $999 there's no shot I'm buying it, but at $599, sure. I called Dale's and asked the salesman, "What makes it B-stock? Scratches, damage?". He said, "I can't see anything that makes this any less than brand new. Chrome looks perfect, heads untouched, shell and finish look flawless." It arrived looking brand new with the hang tag still on it, and sounding great right out of the box. A year later, I haven't changed the factory tuning, much less the heads. And I play it every day.

Got some B-stock Tama rack parts for about 1/3 of retail, during an in-person visit to Dale's.

About 15 years ago, I bought a B-stock MIJ Starclassic Maple tom, also from Dale's Drum Shop. It came with black nickel hardware that showed peeling and small imperfections. As my kit had chrome hardware, I was going to swap it out anyway, and as the price was about one-third of retail, it was a no-brainer. Aside from the hardware, the drum was otherwise absolutely perfect, unplayed, without a stick mark on the original head. It ended up sitting in a case, un-played, for over a decade and I recently sold it on Reverb for more than I paid for it (still without a stick mark on the original head).

I guess the moral of the story is, I'm down with B-stock, as long as I know what I'm getting. Oh, and that Dale's Drum Shop is a great place for screaming deals on Tama B-stock.

Last edited:

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally fair question. I want to see what the difference is with the Supra. I only know what I know and if I don't like it there's a market to sell it, I might only be out a few bucks or whatever.

I've never had the opportunity (or drive tbh) to play different stuff and now I do a little. Doing a little more homework before I buy anything though.

I did have a brass snare. PDP Ace. It was ok but I sold it off to pare down my (just a couple actually) snare stock.
And I now have that Ace which gives me a chance to try out a brass snare :) I have been fortunate to purchase several used snares over the last few months. Once I get to set everything up this fall I will have a blast checking out all the different sounds.

Keeping to the orginal thread, I would have no issue buying B-stock. I have purchased so much used gear that B-stock would probably look like A-stock to me!