Back from the Grave

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't been active for a few years on the forum due to changes in life and health - I am at the stage of unwinding things and consolidating and simplifying my life, which included my "collection" - but as of now I am now locked up in the house with a new (to me) drum set and the time on my hands to spend playing and admiring it. I have had some very special and cool drum sets over the past 15 years but now I am down to just one set (kind of). I'm not a drummer, but I enjoy collecting, admiring and playing (banging) vintage drums. Recently I contacted Steve Maxwell about a Gretsch 12-14-18 set that he had just gotten on consignment to sell and this weekend I just received this beautiful drum set at my door this Friday. I spent the day putting the set together and setting it up, I removed the hoops to send them to Jack Lawton to replace the Merlot Sparkle inlays with some original Gretsch Burgundy sparkle material from a damaged burgundy tom that I bought. I changed the heads to calf at the positive response from Steve to my idea and had some fun playing on the drums. The drums are beautiful and with calf heads they sound great. The snare is very sensitive and open, the toms are tuned hi and have more of what I think is a jazz sound to them. While I am more oriented to a rock and roll sound I am getting use to the finer sound from these drums there is a great pleasure just going down to the basement and being able to sit behind this set and produce some beats.

In addition to the set the owner also had a 20" RB Burgundy bass drum that I bought which I can plug in and have a 12-14-20 set up - this is my one & only drum set. The drums were originally purchased in the late 60s by the person who sold them through Steve.

This set has more or less brought me back from the grave figuratively speaking in terms of my interest in vintage drums.

63B5ED6E-5101-4BDD-9CCB-C7A9CBACDEF1.jpeg
CC2FC0B0-7EED-4E7D-8D06-87236CBB5E43.jpeg
0B702626-270E-45B2-AD14-4C88E3B45F73.jpeg
7790EC45-A384-4BAC-A04B-DD6EAAD2AECC.jpeg

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, killer looking set of drums! Now just find a 16" FT and maybe even a 22" kick if that was ever available. All the bases would be covered from jazz to rock and every thing in between :).
Coy in Idaho

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...........STOP..........did somebody say Birdland ????????????????/

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice to see you again Mike. You had some incredible drum sets at one point. This one is a stunner as well. Enjoy and stay healthy!

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who was going to get their hands on that beauty. I'm glad it went to someone who will enjoy and actaully play it. Let 'er rip!

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! This past year I really went downhill health wise and have been fighting several issues and at the same time we moved but I think things are improving! This is just another step in that direction- it is uplifting! And good to be back on the board sometimes!
Thanks again!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! And what a kit to start over with!!!!! Now stay healthy, stay inside, and enjoy those drums. :)

abryantp

Reaction score
Gorgeous set of drums! And what a solid trio between the tweed, strat and the burgundy sparkle Gretsch set!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
By the way, congratulations on your reinvigorated interest in drumming and what a beautiful drum set to have as your only one. I hope your recovery continues unabated.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, welcome back, I was wondering where you’d disappeared to. Glad your health is improving. I remember some of those kits you had. I think you had a Rogers Mardi Gras kit that was amazing.

That Gretsch kit is sweet. Congrats.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Long time no see Mike! Love the new to you drums. Enjoy!

Mike

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great to hear from you on the Forum, Mike. It's Stu from Hamtramck. I remember getting some fine drum parts from you and being able to check out those cool kits you had. I am glad to see you're kickin' and diggin' the tubs!

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike & Tom & Stu I remember stopping over your place just before you were heading to some coffee shop to do some gigging! It is good to be back somewhat, although I had been lurking in the weeds so to speak all the time!