Back from the Grave

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Welcome back, MikeJtone! I remember all your great Rogers posts. Cheers!

Jazztom

Reaction score
I haven't been active for a few years on the forum due to changes in life and health - I am at the stage of unwinding things and consolidating and simplifying my life, which included my "collection" - but as of now I am now locked up in the house with a new (to me) drum set and the time on my hands to spend playing and admiring it. I have had some very special and cool drum sets over the past 15 years but now I am down to just one set (kind of). I'm not a drummer, but I enjoy collecting, admiring and playing (banging) vintage drums. Recently I contacted Steve Maxwell about a Gretsch 12-14-18 set that he had just gotten on consignment to sell and this weekend I just received this beautiful drum set at my door this Friday. I spent the day putting the set together and setting it up, I removed the hoops to send them to Jack Lawton to replace the Merlot Sparkle inlays with some original Gretsch Burgundy sparkle material from a damaged burgundy tom that I bought. I changed the heads to calf at the positive response from Steve to my idea and had some fun playing on the drums. The drums are beautiful and with calf heads they sound great. The snare is very sensitive and open, the toms are tuned hi and have more of what I think is a jazz sound to them. While I am more oriented to a rock and roll sound I am getting use to the finer sound from these drums there is a great pleasure just going down to the basement and being able to sit behind this set and produce some beats.

In addition to the set the owner also had a 20" RB Burgundy bass drum that I bought which I can plug in and have a 12-14-20 set up - this is my one & only drum set. The drums were originally purchased in the late 60s by the person who sold them through Steve.

This set has more or less brought me back from the grave figuratively speaking in terms of my interest in vintage drums.

View attachment 433161 View attachment 433162 View attachment 433163 View attachment 433164

Jazztom

Reaction score
I haven't been active for a few years on the forum due to changes in life and health - I am at the stage of unwinding things and consolidating and simplifying my life, which included my "collection" - but as of now I am now locked up in the house with a new (to me) drum set and the time on my hands to spend playing and admiring it. I have had some very special and cool drum sets over the past 15 years but now I am down to just one set (kind of). I'm not a drummer, but I enjoy collecting, admiring and playing (banging) vintage drums. Recently I contacted Steve Maxwell about a Gretsch 12-14-18 set that he had just gotten on consignment to sell and this weekend I just received this beautiful drum set at my door this Friday. I spent the day putting the set together and setting it up, I removed the hoops to send them to Jack Lawton to replace the Merlot Sparkle inlays with some original Gretsch Burgundy sparkle material from a damaged burgundy tom that I bought. I changed the heads to calf at the positive response from Steve to my idea and had some fun playing on the drums. The drums are beautiful and with calf heads they sound great. The snare is very sensitive and open, the toms are tuned hi and have more of what I think is a jazz sound to them. While I am more oriented to a rock and roll sound I am getting use to the finer sound from these drums there is a great pleasure just going down to the basement and being able to sit behind this set and produce some beats.

In addition to the set the owner also had a 20" RB Burgundy bass drum that I bought which I can plug in and have a 12-14-20 set up - this is my one & only drum set. The drums were originally purchased in the late 60s by the person who sold them through Steve.

This set has more or less brought me back from the grave figuratively speaking in terms of my interest in vintage drums.

View attachment 433161 View attachment 433162 View attachment 433163 View attachment 433164
Mike, nice kit! I’m enjoying and gigging with the rare Gretsch snare drum received from you. My bass player loves the look and sound. He thinks he’s at Birdland.

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, nice kit! I’m enjoying and gigging with the rare Gretsch snare drum received from you. My bass player loves the look and sound. He thinks he’s at Birdland.
That is awesome Jazztom! It is a small world - in more than one way! By the way your snare drum was pictured on page 84 of the Gretsch book by Chet Falzerano!

Last edited:

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome back from The West Side, Mike! Like many others, I’ve missed your posts and awesome kits. More important, glad you are healthy.
If you’re ever in GR, let me know!
Michael

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wunnerful wunnerful wunnerful .... !!!

Jazztom

Reaction score
That is awesome Jazztom! It is a small world - in more than one way! By the way your snare drum was pictured on page 84 of the Gretsch book by Chet Falzerano!
Yes, I have it set up with my 58 Gretsch kit which is set up next to the 60’s Camco kit , ready to do a solo drum battle I can’t lose.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome back, Mike. Hang in there.... I suppose a nice Burgundy Sparkle could fill the gap left by rare Caddy Green...

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks again! Not exactly healthy but better than I was this past year - these drums are helping me to pass the time while everyone is laying low. I have a non curable form of thyroid cancer that has spread into my lungs and bones and is starting to take a toll on my body. It's been a trying year but at least I feel better than before. These drums are a form of therapy for me, I love to go down and sit behind the set and tap out different beats, it really is quite therapeutic. My young grandson is also picking up the sticks and playing this set too! He seems to have a knack for it!

Attachments

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike!!! Long time for me too... Here's my Ludwig Burgundy kit which is the exact same finish Gretsch used, but I have to refer to a higher authority... Am I correct Bijano?

Attachments

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike!!! Long time for me too... Here's my Ludwig Burgundy kit which is the exact same finish Gretsch used, but I have to refer to a higher authority... Am I correct Bijano?
Frank! So good to be back and to hear from you!! It has been a long time - I was hoping to go to Chicago this year but those plans got changed!! I’d love to meet up and catch up!!

Beautiful drums by the way! You sure know how to picture those drums! They look better than than in a catalog! I’m missing that Ludwig Galaxy Set I sold to Bun. I remember your advice about buying that beautiful jazzfest from the old timer (I forget his name) up in Wisconsin - I’m glad I listened to you!

Attachments

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike...I'm still hanging on to most everything... I thought I was ready to sell until I sold a snare to Bijan...I was depressed afterwards, even though it went to a good friend and good home. Maybe he will post some pics. I understand the Drum Show will be moved back to Kane County Fairgrounds next year for the 30th anniversary. There were an awful lot of complaints about the new location the last couple of years. I'm really going to try and make that one...Hope to see you there! Here's my Galaxy...

Attachments

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, on a separate note, you have a special place in my heart having gone through the cancer fight with my wife of twenty years. I will pray for you to stay strong and continue treatment.

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, on a separate note, you have a special place in my heart having gone through the cancer fight with my wife of twenty years. I will pray for you to stay strong and continue treatment.
Thanks so much Frank! I appreciate that!
On the drums -
I got to say that galaxy set & snare is stunning! So beautiful & so rich in color! I’m sure they sound great too but just the visuals are absolutely stunning! You always had the best stuff!

That is funny about your being depressed after selling a snare to Bijan! He should sell it back to you even up!! To make you feel better!

I do hope that they do the Chicago show back at the county fairgrounds that would be great as far as I’m concerned- and I hope to be there next year and see you!!

Thanks again Frank!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Frank! I *think* the Gretsch burgundy is glass glitter. But it’s been so long that I can’t remember.
Oh you better believe I have that drum I got from you!!!

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Update - When I bought this set the owner had the original bass drum inlays replaced with Merlot Sparkle - evidently the original inlays had curled and discolored from what I was told. I was able to buy a damaged 13" RB Burgundy Tom from an excellent seller on Ebay - Ryan Hajj (not sure if he is a member here or not) but he did me good! I sent both sets of hoops from the 20" & 18" bass drums to Jack Lawton who removed the Merlot inlays & the glue and installed strips cut from the 13" tom. 2 strips to each hoop and he had just enough material to do the job! And what a difference! Jack is a top notch drum repair guy who deserves to be in the Vintage Drum Hall of Fame - if there ever is one! Just look at these hoops and what a difference it makes - and what a perfect match too! I am so happy with the result.
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1079.jpeg

Latest posts