Back in the day, when I was cool...

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to over-analyze popular music. I used to make fun of everything that was popular and mainstream. I broadcast my sentiments loud enough for everyone to hear it, knowing full and well that it could easily be that I was putting excrement in one’s breakfast cereal. If I could convince people that my very exclusive music that I could only hear on the radio at 2:30 a.m. was so superior to the contemporary artist of the day, I was providing the world a public service.

Then I grew up. Half of that “music” I listened to I can’t tolerate anymore, let alone put it in my ears. Furthermore, I am appreciating why so many people enjoyed the artists that I went out of my way to degrade. I am realizing that because my music never amounted to more than a bunch of CD’s still in their jackets as I have run out of people to pawn them off to, some of my position was sheerly from jealousy. I could not be heard above the music that made people happy.

I have softened up a lot. Nearly dying does stuff like that to you. Beyond that, trying to make someone feel stupid for liking mainstream things is petty and evil. I feel bad for the way I treated people for liking the “trite” artists who made them feel good back in the day and even now.

When these list makers grow up, maybe they will realize the pettiness that shows through their work, and maybe work on something important like making the world a better place, instead of criticizing the only escape some people have from the world.

exliontamer

Reaction score
Yes!!! I remember a conversation I had with a friend asking me if I could be in a relationship with someone who liked Nickelback. I replied "Of course!" without so much as a blink. I knew what she was getting at and her inference was ultimately built on little more than elitism. My estimation of a human being has nothing to do with their tastes, the clothes they wear, the food they eat, the car they drive, etc. If your entire relationship is built around waxing about Scott Walker and Eno records you're going to run out of things to talk about pretty damn quick.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Dumpy.
Wisdom is gained through time, mistakes, and much introspection.
Good on ya.
In the end, I have been seeing the err in my ways for a few years. I think of an “aha” moment I had about six years ago: I was recording in the studio with one of these snobby hipster types with the “so hip” vintage clothes and all that stuff as our producer and engineer. The band leader worshipped this guy. In the end, because I am not a human metronome, the engineer did not like me. He openly stated what he would have done differently behind the kit, citing drummers I had never heard about and loved all the drama he was causing. He purposely moved my kick drum track in the ProTools *just* to make me look bad. I then informed hipster boy that he may have nudged my kick drum track. By golly- he nudged it back and it was right! That was when I knew that I was being judged by someone with one of those elitist attitudes and re-examined my own thought processes.

Keep in mind that I was in another gigging band and there were no complaints about my playing otherwise.

In the end, when this snobby studio owner got the clients he wanted, he kicked my old band leader to the curb.

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes!!! I remember a conversation I had with a friend asking me if I could be in a relationship with someone who liked Nickelback. I replied "Of course!" without so much as a blink. I knew what she was getting at and her inference was ultimately built on little more than elitism. My estimation of a human being has nothing to do with their tastes, the clothes they wear, the food they eat, the car they drive, etc. If your entire relationship is built around waxing about Scott Walker and Eno records you're going to run out of things to talk about pretty damn quick.
It always turns into a “who’s cooler?” conversation. It gets to be way boring.

I probably softened up even before but did not realize it when I met the woman who became the second (and hopefully LAST) Mrs. Dumpy. She knew of ALL the cool bands I knew and saw some of them in Pubs back in England. Then I saw the Michael Bolton CD’s. She said to me “If this CD makes you think less of me, then you’re a closed minded man and I just divorced one of them”. It was settled- I, the most hippest of hip Dumpy was put in his place by someone who had the same tastes as I, yet was unaffected by it!

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool man. gives perspective/ joe
I know there are some senior members who would say “this young whipper snapper isn’t old enough to come up with this”, but I am firmly middle aged LOL Nobody thought they’d ever get to where their favorite artists are dying off, the AARP membership card is in their wallet (mine by proxy as my wife is old enough), and finding themselves screaming “get off my lawn!”

After UC nearly killing me two years ago and having an average of one surgery every six months over the last two years, I have had a lot of time to think, and figured out I spent too much time denigrating others.

exliontamer

Reaction score
It always turns into a “who’s cooler?” conversation. It gets to be way boring.

I probably softened up even before but did not realize it when I met the woman who became the second (and hopefully LAST) Mrs. Dumpy. She knew of ALL the cool bands I knew and saw some of them in Pubs back in England. Then I saw the Michael Bolton CD’s. She said to me “If this CD makes you think less of me, then you’re a closed minded man and I just divorced on of them”. It was settled- I, the most hippest of hip Dumpy was put in his place by someone who had the same tastes as I, yet was unaffected by it!
She sounds great!!! It'a a lucky thing when you have someone in your life who can call you out for your stuff and still love you for it. I know I'm grateful to my wife for doing it with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
She sounds great!!! It'a a lucky thing when you have someone in your life who can call you out for your stuff and still love you for it. I know I'm grateful to my wife for doing it with me.
20 years married so far, lasting four times as long as my last marriage! And somehow, she keeps me around!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to over-analyze popular music. I used to make fun of everything that was popular and mainstream. I broadcast my sentiments loud enough for everyone to hear it, knowing full and well that it could easily be that I was putting excrement in one’s breakfast cereal. If I could convince people that my very exclusive music that I could only hear on the radio at 2:30 a.m. was so superior to the contemporary artist of the day, I was providing the world a public service.

Then I grew up. Half of that “music” I listened to I can’t tolerate anymore, let alone put it in my ears. Furthermore, I am appreciating why so many people enjoyed the artists that I went out of my way to degrade. I am realizing that because my music never amounted to more than a bunch of CD’s still in their jackets as I have run out of people to pawn them off to, some of my position was sheerly from jealousy. I could not be heard above the music that made people happy.

I have softened up a lot. Nearly dying does stuff like that to you. Beyond that, trying to make someone feel stupid for liking mainstream things is petty and evil. I feel bad for the way I treated people for liking the “trite” artists who made them feel good back in the day and even now.

When these list makers grow up, maybe they will realize the pettiness that shows through their work, and maybe work on something important like making the world a better place, instead of criticizing the only escape some people have from the world.
Dumpy, it's really great that you're so reflective in your thinking, especially as it led you to a better place for yourself.

Just out of curiosity, what bands and songs have you grown out of and into? I'm always hoping to find something new!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dumpy, it's really great that you're so reflective in your thinking, especially as it led you to a better place for yourself.

Just out of curiosity, what bands and songs have you grown out of and into? I'm always hoping to find something new!
I was heavily into 80s LA punk. Most of that stuff I can’t listen to.

I loved and still love KISS. Grew to love more hair metal, but the classics have grown stronger.

I would have to look at my record collection. The stuff that endures for me has a certain pop sensibility.

I have a love for Prince, Barry White, Lou Rawls and the Meters.

I am even starting to appreciate country music. Garth Brooks’ music could have been done in any genre.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that music critics can still provoke such a strong reaction! "Petty and evil!"

Yet, the reactions to the absurd 12-year-old list I posted included responses attacking "mumble rappers," Post Malone, the current Top 40 in general and Yoko Ono (who even thinks of Yoko Ono?).

I'm quite confident Insane Clown Posse, ELP and other less-than-critically acclaimed bands are aware that they're serving up a flavor that's not for everyone. In their comfortable lives, the occasional dissenting voice rarely is heard above the roar of the engines of their luxury Range Rovers and executive jet flights. Criticism is swatted away like a fly in the sauna.

The beauty of Blender's Worst Acts in Music History is that it cuts across so many genres that virtually everyone who reads it while nodding their head in agreement will soon see their own ox getting gored.

To me Drum "Forum" is a place where ideas are exchanged, not a vehicle for expressing a unanimity of opinion. So, yeah, there's a place for "raps sucks" or "Yoko Ono ruined Double Fantasy," but does Dumpy want this to be a place where those ideas are unchallenged, but putting forth the idea that "ELP's platinum records were a bit bombastic and overly reliant on the harpsichord" is labeled "petty and evil?"

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up playing in garage rock bands.
Then I went to music school:
In addition to drum set, I was taking private lessons at the mallet keyboards, tympani, piano and playing in an excellent percussion ensemble...…...I really loved the theory and composition, music lit and history too.
My long-time bass player told me that I had been "ruined"...…..My ears, appreciation and thoughts on music had been expanded.
After a few years at school and way too many hours of practice at these instruments, I got a lot better at all genre of music.
My bass player got left behind...…...