Back in the day, when I was cool...

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s right, I only like the early Michael Bolton before he sold out. You guys probably haven’t even heard that stuff. (strokes beard and returns to brewing his own beer).

All hipster kidding aside, not only was he a hard rock guy I’m pretty sure Bruce Kulick from KISS was his guitar player. I think the song Fool’s Game was his big hair metal single. Clearly I am not very hip if I know these things :)
I knew that. I am attempting to brew beer but I won’t grow a beard, just a mullet.

Bruce Kulick is truly a pro AND a gentleman in the biz. I sat at a small table with him and Tom Murphy at a guitar show. One of THE TRULY coolest I have had the pleasure of meeting!

Ian S

Reaction score
It takes a real man to call attention to the errors he's made. Dumpy you seem like a real cool cat.

But hang on a minute, well KISS I can at least forgive,, but Garth Brooks ?? OMG.. B)

KevinD

Reaction score
That’s right, I only like the early Michael Bolton before he sold out. You guys probably haven’t even heard that stuff. (strokes beard and returns to brewing his own beer).

All hipster kidding aside, not only was he a hard rock guy I’m pretty sure Bruce Kulick from KISS was his guitar player. I think the song Fool’s Game was his big hair metal single. Clearly I am not very hip if I know these things :)
Yeah I remember that video, drummer had a yellow Vistalite set. I thought Bolton's voice on his hard rock stuff sounded like Dave Meniketti from Y&T

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I remember that video, drummer had a yellow Vistalite set. I thought Bolton's voice on his hard rock stuff sounded like Dave Meniketti from Y&T
OK, you made me go to YouTube and look for the Fools Game video ... I'll take Meniketti any day of the week, even Summertime Girls.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Iommi said Black Sabbath auditioned Michael Bolton to replace Ronnie James Dio during a March 2020 interview!
My brother worked with Bolton on a project. The guy has one of the most incredible voices around. Has nada to do with style and everything to do with his abilities. He’s a mutant (a compliment). Simply put.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It takes a real man to call attention to the errors he's made. Dumpy you seem like a real cool cat.

But hang on a minute, well KISS I can at least forgive,, but Garth Brooks ?? OMG.. B)
I appreciate the kind words.

I could have never admitted to being a closet Garth Brooks fan until one dude I knew said to me “It’s a natural thing to love both KISS and Garth Brooks.” I gave him the weirdest look.

So weirdly enough, I was doing some listening. Someone gave me the KISS covers album from early 2000s. “Hard Luck Woman” comes on. Darned if it wasn’t Garth Brooks. He did a FANTASTIC job. Some of those cover songs were just weird, but very unique.

Used to love the VH1 Behind the Music TV series. Garth Brooks mentions how much he loves KISS. So I pop in a Garth Brooks CD. There is so much KISS influence it isn’t funny. Garth Brooks songs have that pop arrangement that pulls you in. And yes- I found myself feeling really un cool getting into some songs!

Modern country is something I still struggle with not wanting to just use an ice pick to destroy my ears so that I can’t hear it any more, but I hear all sorts of influence and elements from the pop hair metal that was popular in the 80s. Mutt Lange really put his stamp on modern country. I can appreciate where it’s coming from, even if I don’t like it.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Dumpy your post really resonated with me. I also am listening to music styles that I detested 30 to 40 years ago (my teens and college years) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it - even regretful that I didn't appreciate it at the time. Some of my friends in older years remain stuck in that more immature musical mental place, but I do believe that those of us who've found our way out are happier from it.

I should add that I'm still a work in progress. Still working on bluegrass and country, but they're becoming more tolerable - especially live performances.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dumpy,
There's something that happens (hopefully) when we finally come to grips with middle age...maturity, wisdom, and a much greater and deeper sense of being humble. It doesn't afflict everyone, but it should and I, for one, am very grateful for this change that occurs with many of us. If you have had a near death experience, it resets this disposition to an even greater degree. Life is short. You have so many wonderful gifts to share and while you have only been on this forum for a very short time, your contributions have been note worthy and enjoyable to read. Life and living life brings many gifts and those gifts should be enjoyed maximally. I am in my mid 50's now and I can say that as I think about being on the back nine, I realize that every single day is an opportunity to get it better, make lemonade out of lemons, enjoy this wonderful experience before we are "taken home." I have a very dear friend who has suffered from UC for many years and I have watched him change greatly over the past 30+ years... take good care of yourself, continue to enjoy your life (your wife sounds like a great lady..smart, funny, tough), most of all, play the tubs to your heart's content. Excelsior and Cheers!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dumpy your post really resonated with me. I also am listening to music styles that I detested 30 to 40 years ago (my teens and college years) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it - even regretful that I didn't appreciate it at the time. Some of my friends in older years remain stuck in that more immature musical mental place, but I do believe that those of us who've found our way out are happier from it.

I should add that I'm still a work in progress. Still working on bluegrass and country, but they're becoming more tolerable - especially live performances.
Thanks for the kinds words.

Admitting you are a work in progress is half the battle! Do I find myself saying a few awful things about some forms of music, particularly popular music? Yes! But I always qualify it with “but hey- there a likely a LOT more people who love it than loathe it.” My wife’s simple reply is “if us adults hate it, the kids love it! We are simply not young any longer!”

You know who it took me long to appreciate? Michael Jackson and Barry Manilow. Musical genius in spades.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dumpy,
There's something that happens (hopefully) when we finally come to grips with middle age...maturity, wisdom, and a much greater and deeper sense of being humble. It doesn't afflict everyone, but it should and I, for one, am very grateful for this change that occurs with many of us. If you have had a near death experience, it resets this disposition to an even greater degree. Life is short. You have so many wonderful gifts to share and while you have only been on this forum for a very short time, your contributions have been note worthy and enjoyable to read. Life and living life brings many gifts and those gifts should be enjoyed maximally. I am in my mid 50's now and I can say that as I think about being on the back nine, I realize that every single day is an opportunity to get it better, make lemonade out of lemons, enjoy this wonderful experience before we are "taken home." I have a very dear friend who has suffered from UC for many years and I have watched him change greatly over the past 30+ years... take good care of yourself, continue to enjoy your life (your wife sounds like a great lady..smart, funny, tough), most of all, play the tubs to your heart's content. Excelsior and Cheers!
What a thoughtful response! Thank you!

I currently don’t have UC as I no longer have a colon. Three of my surgeries in the past two years were to address that (I have a J-pouch) and the last of the quartet dealt with the hernia all of this jazz caused! I am having great luck (knock on wood) with the J-pouch, so I just have to take care of management.

I can be cantankerous, still. With age and wisdom comes jadedness. So I am definitely a work in progress!

I was talking with an old band mate last night. I confessed that it was a good thing I quit all of the bands I was involved with about six years back. Had this thing happened whilst I was playing, I would have been fired and replaced! That would have been devastating. So realizing that there sometimes is a purpose with all of the things that happen is a sign of maturity! Who would have thought?

I am truly overwhelmed in a good way with your thoughtful response. Thank you again!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for writing this Dumpy. I'll try remembering it whenever I hear my kids listening to music. The only thing that crosses my mind at those moments is how much i feel that their music sucks. Unfortunately every generation thinks that the next generations music stinks and sometimes we verbally express it. I will try to remember that they are receiving happiness by listening to their music. The same happiness that I felt when my parents would tell me that my music was crap. We are nobody to judge! Good lesson man!

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for writing this Dumpy. I'll try remembering it whenever I hear my kids listening to music. The only thing that crosses my mind at those moment is how much i feel that their music sucks. Unfortunately every generation thinks that the next generations music stinks and sometimes we verbally express it. I will try to remember that they are receiving happiness by listening to their music. The same happiness that I felt when my parents would tell me that my music was crap. We are nobody to judge! Good lesson man!
What I have found surprisingly is how the teens like what we grew up listening to! We could take a page from that, as well!

Thanks for your kind words!

Ian S

Reaction score
I could have never admitted to being a closet Garth Brooks fan until one dude I knew said to me “It’s a natural thing to love both KISS and Garth Brooks.” I gave him the weirdest look.
I never would have guessed about the KISS influence, but how it goes.. it can come from unexpected places. Anyhow, for me just about everything has a time and a place. I remember a road trip with a buddy and he played some Garth Brooks while we were on the highway, I thought I wouldn't want to hear it, but it was actually quite relaxing and enjoyable. It fit the mood on that trip perfectly.

KISS was always intriguing to me in the same way that hospital rooms with doors slightly ajar have always been. Though I remember as a kid really enjoying Lick It Up, cranking volume and jumping around the living room every time.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never would have guessed about the KISS influence, but how it goes.. it can come from unexpected places. Anyhow, for me just about everything has a time and a place. I remember a road trip with a buddy and he played some Garth Brooks while we were on the highway, I thought I wouldn't want to hear it, but it was actually quite relaxing and enjoyable. It fit the mood on that trip perfectly.

KISS was always intriguing to me in the same way that hospital rooms with doors slightly ajar have always been. Though I remember as a kid really enjoying Lick It Up, cranking volume and jumping around the living room every time.
Garth is actually a HUGE KISS fan! He has cited them as an influence from way back. Listen to enough KISS, you will hear those influences.

KISS, to me, was and is junk food music. I say that in the best possible means of a compliment. It brings out that emotional, joyous part of you in all the anthems, little double entendres in some songs, getting away with a few not quite overt sexual references, and even a few syruppy ballads. The original line up was the best at being KISS, with decent vocals, decent drums, decent guitar solos all in easy to consume format (if that’s what you like). They aren’t going to tell you how to vote, not try to teach you moral lessons as that is not their mission; their mission is to take you away from that!

People tried to make me feel like the most base human on the planet for liking KISS. It wasn’t some acquired taste like some music that required a primmer in being “cool, yet intellectual”. Listening to KISS brings out the kid in me, a part that has been lost for so long!