Back in the day, when I was cool...

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could never chose between Debbie Gibson or Tiffany. One of them HAD to be superior! LOL
Only in your dreams could you sing “I think we’re alone now” with either of them.

Of course in my humble opinion, Deborah Gibson (as that is what she prefers now) has the edge as she is better preserved and still writes tunes.

But as I say, we were blessed with Chocolate, Vanilla and Pistachio and the ability to mix those flavors.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O.P.'s O.P. (Original Poster's Original Post!) resonated with me like a 36 inch concert bass-drum.
I think back to how much of a music snob I was around my friends, even totals strangers, and I cringe. Some of the music I championed back then I now find embarrassingly un-listenable. Some of the music I scorned back then I now cherish. I just keep trying to be a better person, and have no illusion about "the good-old-days."
Many people -- particularly non-musicians -- use music as a lifestyle wallpaper. They enjoy music that meshes with the culture or sub-culture they identify with, and that's the end of it. Foreign as that is to me (and I imagine many musician/artist types), there is nothing wrong with it.
Thanks, Dumpy, for helping us all think about this stuff.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The O.P.'s O.P. (Original Poster's Original Post!) resonated with me like a 36 inch concert bass-drum.
I think back to how much of a music snob I was around my friends, even totals strangers, and I cringe. Some of the music I championed back then I now find embarrassingly un-listenable. Some of the music I scorned back then I now cherish. I just keep trying to be a better person, and have no illusion about "the good-old-days."
Many people -- particularly non-musicians -- use music as a lifestyle wallpaper. They enjoy music that meshes with the culture or sub-culture they identify with, and that's the end of it. Foreign as that is to me (and I imagine many musician/artist types), there is nothing wrong with it.
Thanks, Dumpy, for helping us all think about this stuff.
My pleasure.

I used to say to my wife “I am absolutely jealous of people who just hear music.” I still am jealous of people who use music as sonic wallpaper (a band name in the making!).

I know that I use commercial viability as a measuring stick, but guess what? People will PAY for what they like (even with streaming services). And you know what? The minute you charge to play in front of people or sell records or merchandise, you’re hoping to make money at it, or at least recover your costs!

I am truly overwhelmed by the positive responses on this thread! Thank you very much!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How many other things have we gone full-circle with? How many other philosophies have we realized that were flawed in our professional and personal lives outside of music? I am just posing that question for thought and ponderance.