Back when Sonor did it all in house

Targalx

Reaction score
Yes. This, folks, is a REAL drum company, not one of the many component assemblers out in the marketplace these days. I love that Sonor always did things their way: Unique designs, their own hardware, in-house engineering, took risks, didn't always follow trends. So much respect for these folks.

Thanks for the great video, even if I don't understand much of it.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can enable English subtitle
Pictures say it all
Some English interviews
My wife makes me watch foreign film on Netflix so I have some practice but this one I like

sheridan

Reaction score
I have a Sonor Force 3003 10,12,14,22 kit in white glitter, and it is built way beyond it’s midline kit designation. It looks and sounds fantastic, and at one point I wanted to recover some tom tom shells and add them to my kit, so I looked everywhere for white glitter wrap. I couldn’t find it anywhere, and when asking forum members if they knew where I could get some, one member asked me if I was sure the drums are wrapped, and if I could find the seam. I looked and found out that they weren’t wrapped, they had a white glitter lacquered finish. That absolutely blew me away! It wasn’t the high end, expensive kit, but it sure was built like one! The hardware and pedals are all high quality. I definitely got more than my money’s worth and don’t see me ever selling them.

sheridan

Reaction score
Right. Even the China made Sonor drums have great quality. My dream Sonor set is the Signature Series, but there’s no way I could afford them. One of my drumming heroes is Steve Smith. I always thought his technique and sound was unbelievable, which is why I fell in love with Sonor drums. When I was able to finally buy a new kit, ( courtesy of my beautiful wife. She had to force me to buy a new kit.) I got the Sonor kit and I finally got the sound that I wanted. Great, great company!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Signatures are so over the top, those snare mechanisms!
If anyone has one of those ultra-deep Signature toms and an identical size in a shallower depth, or maybe Phonic Plus and regular, I would like to hear a comparison.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonor is all I play - have loved that Sonor sound since I heard it 40 years ago. Wont ever leave em.

F

sheridan

Reaction score
Sonor always seemed to me to be a cut above every other company out there. You might see another company’s drums and think,”Wow! Those are awesome!”, and then see a Sonor set and it’s like the other companies have a long way to go to reach Sonor’s quality and ideas. But then again, everybody’s opinion will differ on what good quality and good ideas are.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phonics in standard sizes are my favorite drums. No suspension mounting, just a pipe through a beech shell.....tone for days, they sing like birds. Best bass drum ever. Heavy heavy heavy .

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Right. Even the China made Sonor drums have great quality. My dream Sonor set is the Signature Series, but there’s no way I could afford them. One of my drumming heroes is Steve Smith. I always thought his technique and sound was unbelievable, which is why I fell in love with Sonor drums. When I was able to finally buy a new kit, ( courtesy of my beautiful wife. She had to force me to buy a new kit.) I got the Sonor kit and I finally got the sound that I wanted. Great, great company!
I believe my Force Custom is the original Chinese Sonor model.
Mahogany-Maple shells. Not the thinnest in the world, but they work well enough.
Fat, Creamy sounding drums. Probably takes to two ply heads like a fish to water, but I run single ply's on it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Phonics in standard sizes are my favorite drums. No suspension mounting, just a pipe through a beech shell.....tone for days, they sing like birds. Best bass drum ever. Heavy heavy heavy .
In the mid 80's there was an entry level series called "Performer".
Heavy BD, but the toms were thin for that time.
Also Beech shells.
Only came as 22/12/13/16, with 10 & 14 toms as an option.
I've seen a few videos and they sound great as well.

1568938318188.png

Rosewood finished Phonics are like Walnut finished Gretsch's.....Absolutely beautiful :notworthy::love4:

Elvis

Last edited:

sheridan

Reaction score
Mahogany-Maple shells. Not the thinnest in the world, but they work well enough.
Fat, Creamy sounding drums. Probably takes to two ply heads like a fish to water, but I run single ply's on it.

Beautiful kit! I don’t think there’s any model kit that Sonor makes that I haven’t been impressed with. To me, Sonor drums seem to be more flexible in terms of getting the tone or sound you want than other companies, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve seen the video before and I love seeing how companies build their products. It’s just amazing to me how they have the technology and innovations, but they also put a great deal of care into them, along with their care for the environment as well.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I loved the Sonor Teardrops, especially the last ones in the early 70's. That was their peak, in my opinion. Incredibly sensitive, wide tuning range, just amazing.

When they switched over to the heavy Phonics, I lost them. I understand that they had to sell to the rock market. The Phonics were well made drums, for sure, but incredibly heavy. Sonor came out right quick with the Sonor Lites for drummers who wanted thinner shells, but they were still pretty hefty.

The market dictates drum design, and obviously today, it's rock music.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
great sounding drums, and yes they were beasts! I don't know how I ever lugged my phonics around for as long as I did. 24/14/15/18. ridiculous!

Latest posts