Backbeats-Dead Center or Rim Shots?

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear so many tunes and due to compression and EQ I cannot differentiate whether it is a center hit accent or a rim shot.
Personally, if I am not playing in a large venue I prefer the sound of a center hit. I find it more rounder sounding... the RS cuts through more
but I still prefer the feel and sound of the other.

Thoughts

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in the habit of rim shots and have been consciously working on center hits. I like both sounds, but I'm working on stroke control and bringing my volume down.

cplueard

Reaction score
Personal playing/originals groups/most recording - Rimshots
Everything else depends on the venue, but since I'm not doing much of outdoor cover gigs it's almost entirely center hits for cover/smaller groups and specific recordings.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like center shots on mellow ballads but use a lot of rim shots on driving hard charging grooves. I just love the "corky" conk (sound, not substance, or seafood) flavor of RSs and how you can flavor the tone by moving the tip to and from the rim. I also use them in combo. As in a shuffle where the swinging is all tip and the 2 and 4 are rim shots. Or when playing triplets with the downbeats played by right hand and bass with the left hand adding the two lighter strokes... but the second stroke is a rim shot, giving an interesting accent and feel.
So..."yes", I guess.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I like rimshots for accents and effect, while playing backbeats center or slightly off center with no rim 99% of the time. I've found that consistent rimshots over the course of the evening or event can really wear on the listeners' and my band mates' hearing. Kinda like piano or guitar, where the majority of your time is spent mid-instrument supporting the song while venturing off in the higher octaves for some spice and effect.

Plus my drumsticks last forever :D

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I grew up thinking rimshots were solely for accents and so on but have come full circle to being pro-rimshot for backbeats. I feel like rimshots add body to the sound and of course give a higher volume ceiling if needed. Also, it's possible to rimshot a backbeat without adding much volume, just by playing softer and/or only adding a tad of rim to the stroke. Below a certain volume level though they no longer work.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both, depends on the musical context. I do prefer playing rim shot backbeats, though...just feels good. Plus I like the sound of the drum opening up.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rock and Top40 (for me) = RIMSHOTS

Watch Todd break it down @ 4:03.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I usually start the night with center hits then migrate to RS by the end of the nite. However with that being said a rimshot can be played at low volume as well , it’s all about stick control

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The leader last night told me he liked the way I hit rim shots during a break down to generate more excitement. I didn't even realize I switched it up.