Backbeats-Dead Center or Rim Shots?

Barden

Reaction score
What about dead center rim shots? Also played quietly? I've done that a bunch lately when called for. 1" stick height. Practically push the stick into position.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I hear so many tunes and due to compression and EQ I cannot differentiate whether it is a center hit accent or a rim shot.
Personally, if I am not playing in a large venue I prefer the sound of a center hit. I find it more rounder sounding... the RS cuts through more
but I still prefer the feel and sound of the other.

Thoughts
Back in the 80's, I would do both.
Before I started playing I remembered drummers at school talking about playing in the center of the head. It was the "proper" way to do it, back then (I'm talking about drumset and marching snare here, folks).
That stuck with me and when I started playing, it seemed to be an unconscious action. I always hit the middle area ("center").
When I would play back beats on the snare, I just had it positioned so I would hit center, but the stick would also catch the rim, so I was getting both the rim shot and center hit, simultaneously.
Not a conscious move, just a comfortable position for me to have the snare positioned at.
I played matched grip exclusively back then, so my hand was set lower upon impact. These days I tend to play more traditional grip and when I do that, I tend to have the stick almost vertical, so I only get the center hit now.

Elvis

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Rim shot’s most of the time depending on the song of course.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of the time rimshots but it also depends on the music and venue. For a huge, big sound I strike center or a bit north of center with a rimshot.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm also in the rimshots the lion's share of the time club. And like others... both loud and pretty darn soft.

Jorn

Reaction score
I like my rimshots 40% in on the drum. My hands auto adjust to that.
There’s great sounds in the center and 60% in. I’m trying to use those too.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All kinds of sounds, depends on style/aciustics etc. Rimshots alone can sound so different: center, off-center with short part of the stick over the head, off-center with a longer part of the stick inside the hoop.

A more bass-heavy snare sound, like what you'd use a "Big Fat Snare" for, requires a non-rimshot. RS adds high end/mids, but reduces lows, you could even say it chokes the fundamental tone.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends on the music . I try to maintain a facillity to do both consistently . The discussion about snare drums( tuning ,heads etc.) that we regularly have is very relevant here .

MoTown, Stax were built largely on Purdie's , Jackson's, Hawkins' and Palmers' rimshots.

Watts and Starr, same thing , not to mention Blaine and Copeland and Bonham .

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also play rimshots the vast majority of the time and grace notes and comping can be either. I play in a faux funk horn band so there are a lot of punches and stabs to catch and nail down. I generally like a fat pop out front....that is if the soundman doesn't try to turn my set into something else. My snare is always tight no matter what and very little ring because of its tension...some muffling at the hoop.

Latest posts