Backline Inspired Purchases?

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up 16/18" Paiste Signature crashes after having played them on a backline kit. I listened to about 4 other bands at that gig, playing various styles, from the audience. They sounded damn near perfect.

drums1225

Reaction score
I played in a band that warmed up for the Spin Doctors - they asked me to play Aaron's Brady kit to make the changeover easier... Nice drums :)

Anyway, also back in the 90s, I played a gig at Le Bar Bat in NYC. They had a beat up DW Collector's house kit which sounded great. It tuned up easily, even with old heads, so I was motivated to order a DW kit after that...
Man, I loved Le Bar Bat. I used to go see Funk Filharmonik there the first Wednesday of every month, for a few years from late 90's until around 2002. A great place (and band) to impress a first date. I can't remember what Lee from FF played, but for some reason I'm thinking it was white Yamahas.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Forget where but I played a backline kit once that had a Tama Iron Cobra kick pedal and it was very beat up and worn—and functioned perfectly.

I said to myself, “I’ve got to get one of these,” and I did. That was a long time ago and I still use it.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played the Fest For Beatles Fans band competition and they had a Yamaha Oak Custom kit. I got up on the riser and quickly tuned the Akira Jimbo snare, which had detuned into Don Henley territory. Began the first song, and swung over to the ri....wait? Where's the ride? OHHH, there IS none. Way to go, S.I.R.! But geez, when I hit the kick, it was like a meteor hitting the earth--even the audience responded, and I HAD to get a kit. Here's the actual moment I became a believer:

Here's the kit I bought(long story):

Dan

Core Creek

Reaction score
Played my first 24” bass drum on someone else’s kit at a gig (got to use his drumset) and went out and got my first 24” bass drum. That one sucked, but it eventually led to a Mapex Saturn kit - 24, 14, 16, 18, which I still own and use with 15” hI hats and a 22” ride when the situation calls for it.

flam5adiddle

Reaction score
I once played a backline kit that was such poor quality, and poorly maintained, that the rack tom literally slid off the mount and rolled across the stage during the set.

But here’s where the inspirado came in: among all the sad garbage was a truly lovely 18” Sabian XS20 Medium Thin crash that I’ve been looking for ever since (one that sounded as good as that one, I mean). Who knew?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once played a backline kit that was such poor quality, and poorly maintained, that the rack tom literally slid off the mount and rolled across the stage during the set.

But here’s where the inspirado came in: among all the sad garbage was a truly lovely 18” Sabian XS20 Medium Thin crash that I’ve been looking for ever since (one that sounded as good as that one, I mean). Who knew?
That's an underrated line. I have a 16" Medium Thin that sounds great!

Dan

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, an under rated line. I've played some Sabian's on backlines over the years that were really good cymbals. Unfortunately the few that I have bought over the years just didnt do it for me. There was a 20" AA thin crash I regret letting go.
My first backline impulse buy was a Ghost pedal, ,smoove