Backrest Throne Comparison: Mapex T775 and Tama First Chair Ergo-Rider, Part I

jmcohen

Reaction score
Backrest Throne Comparison:

Mapex T775 and Tama First Chair Ergo-Rider

I learned first-hand that doing a side-by-side comparison of drum thrones can be a challenge. A major music store chain would not let me remove a new throne from the box to give it a test drive. Plus, who wants to buy two in order to compare them? Well actually, I did. I wanted one to take to gigs and possibly leave packed up and ready to go between gigs, and another permanently set up for practice. Therefore, I bought two different ones.

The Tama throne I have had since about 2007, but without a backrest. Since the throne is not brand new, I cannot speak to whether the same throne is currently available exactly as described and photographed, but from what I can see online, they are remarkably similar, if not identical. If you have an older Tama throne without a backrest, you can add the backrest if your throne seat has 6 holes on the underside. Mine had four holes being used for the mounting plate, and two more holes performing no function, but with screws in place.

1632167867829.png

Both thrones are the “tractor"
1632167953857.png
1632168097885.png
1632168153293.png
1632168207422.png
1632168398077.png
1632168732085.png
style of seat. The Tama has a very thick vinyl-covered, pebble-grained seat, while the Mapex throne is thinner, softer and has a more rubberized feel to the surface. The Mapex also features a cutaway seat design that surrounds the back and the front area between your legs. I note only a slight feel of being ‘cradled’ in the Mapex due to the contour. Note also that Tama makes a First Chair throne that mimics this cradle design.

Backrest Design

Tama First Chair Ergo-Rider

The design and performance of the two backrests represent the largest difference between the two thrones. Tama utilizes a straight, ‘bread loaf’ style of pad. It measures 9 1/2” long by 4” high by 3 1/4” thick. The backrest pad is mounted to a heavy-duty two-shaft upper assembly that slides easily when the locknut is loosened. The entire assembly is nicely chromed. The pad adjusts 6” up and down. The pad can be adjusted forward and back using a large knurled knob. For travel, the backrest can tilt forward to make the entire seat/backrest assembly slightly more portable.

1632168153293.png
1632168207422.png

Note in the photos the six holes in the bottom of the seat. The lower bolt adjusts the front/back movement of the back rest.

1632168398077.png

The backrest folded.

The Base

The Tama uses a tripod base with a spread of about 19 1/2”. The base is double-braced and quite sturdy. The seat securely attaches to the post of the base with a two-bolt clamp. One bolt is a long hex nut, and the other tightens using a wing nut. And unless you want to turn your musical performance into a comedy show, I strongly recommend you place a leg directly behind you if you plan on leaning back on the backrest.

The chair adjusts from 19” high to 26 1/2” high. Adjustment is via a piano-stool style of acme-threaded rod. The entire throne weighs approximately 18 pounds. The throne overall is not particularly compact, largely because removal of the backrest completely is cumbersome.

The Base

The Tama uses a tripod base with a spread of about 19 1/2”. The base is double-braced and quite sturdy. The seat securely attaches to the post of the base with a two-bolt clamp. One bolt is a long hex nut, and the other tightens using a wing nut. And unless you want to turn your musical performance into a comedy show, I strongly recommend you place a leg directly behind you if you plan on leaning back on the backrest.

The chair adjusts from 19” high to 26 1/2” high. Adjustment is via a piano-stool style of acme-threaded rod. The entire throne weighs approximately 18 pounds. The throne overall is not particularly compact, largely because removal of the backrest completely is cumbersome.

1632168732085.png

Mapex T775

The Mapex backrest is curved. The pad is thinner overall compared to the Tama, and does not adjust more than about 1 1/2” up and down. The pad is 10 1/2” wide by 7” high by about 1 1/2” thick. Adjustment of the backrest forward and back is via a bolt on the underside of the seat. The adjustment is limited to about 1 1/2” forward and back. The backrest features a spring below the up/down adjustment bolt. This feature helps the backrest follow the contour of your back as you move.

1632168878533.png
1632168831185.png

1632168933546.png

See Part II for the conclusion of this article.