Bad Response to a Sales Query?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of people given insufficient responses but it's usually because they don't know the answer, but at least they try. Perfect example if you ask somebody how much a cymbal weighs and they aren't enough of a drum geek to understand the significance of that, so they weigh it and tell you "About three pounds." Again, what's important to me is that at least they try.

I saw a used kit I'm interested in on a sales site. Correction: Was interested in. Only one full picture and didn't show the drums off very welll. The kit isn't any thing rare or high end, but it's an auction and my money is tight and I need to make sure I know what I'm getting, so I can bid accordingly . I asked the seller if he or she had more photos. The response was: " Nope sorry. If you want it that's cool but I'm not taking more photos. It's pretty obvious what it is. 4 drums. thanks for the question"

My reply was heavily edited down to: Yes. Pretty obvious.

100% satisfaction rating selling lots of items and gear, so I'm not taking issue with the seller's honestly, just an unnecessary rude response.

Anyway, dude, I don't want it without better photos. It's not cool. It is indeed quite obvious what it is and I'm not talking about the drums. But I do wish you GLWS. Plenty of other kits in the sea.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some people are idiots and don't try to go the extra mile when trying to sell something. They act like your doing them a favor. But you said it yourself that their are other kits out there. As much as I might like something, I'd rather skip it when dealing with someone like that. tkillian posted a similar situation yesterday:

thestorysold

Reaction score
people like that make no sense to me. I see countless drum ads with awful pictures. even if I were selling an item I knew little about I would take multiple, clear, pictures.

I recently bought a single tension bass drum on eBay from a vintage/antiques seller who didn't know anything about drums. there were only 6 pictures, mostly from above showing the heads and a few of the drum itself- same side just different angles. the duco was clearly flaking and was mentioned in the description. I had asked to see some pictures of inside the drum to ensure it wasn't damaged/fully in round. their response was 'inside the drum, don't think that's possible?'. I explained how to take the head off to which they responded 'we will not be taking this piece apart'. the price was good so I took the chance on it anyway. the badge side of the drum ended up being in much worse shape than any other side of the drum. it was not mentioned in the ad, nor were there pictures. I mentioned this to the seller. they went on to say 'more photos of the sides would not have helped- it's the same drum'. that line bothered me the most. more pictures are always helpful! then I think they tried making me feel bad because they said they paid additional money out of pocket for shipping and the sale was barely worthwhile, which is not my problem.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Sounds like the seller was tired of "too many ebay freaks and flakes" who, according to previous threads on here, ask lots of questions and then disappear without another word.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I like the listings that have multiple pictures, but they are the exact same shot just taken 6-inches to the left from the last one.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Sounds like the seller was tired of "too many ebay freaks and flakes" who, according to previous threads on here, ask lots of questions and then disappear without another word.

Man isnt that truth.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I was shopping for a studio device worth about $1800. Called the tech section of my local drum store. Got the owners son and asked him to consider an online price match. He looked at the site and then said “they don’t have actual stock so no” the whole experience was embarrassing. I ended up buying from a large retailer. They treated me like royalty. Later one of the sales people told me they made $124,000 from their stores in one day that week. During lockdown they even ran out of microphone leads.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A little effort by the seller can go a long way towards making a sale. I really go out of my way to patronize the seller who puts in the effort with pics and a good description/story. I kind of like knowing why a guy is selling something. It makes a difference, and it makes me comfortable with the seller.

I stay away from clowns that can't be bothered no matter how much I want their stuff.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I get that people "kick the tires" on items without being serious about making the purchase, and I've both done that and had it done to me plenty of times.

Recently, I've been on a vintage Zildjian kick and have been so frustrated by the responses some sellers have given. Most listings include the stamp, which is nice, and there are usually enough pictures to ascertain the condition, but I'm baffled at sellers who aren't motivated enough to sell to find and post a weight, especially when a 20" ride can vary so incredibly from <2000g - >3000g. My strategy is to send a brief, polite message like "Great cymabal! Any idea how much it weighs?" Here are some of the responses I've gotten in the past few months:

- "I don't have a scale and we're still in lock down"

- "Hi I am not sure how much it weighs it doesn't feel the heaviest. Hopefully I will be able to update soon."
(Never updated)

- "Heavy lol"

- "No I'm sorry"