Badge removing

harrismikol

Reaction score
I am considering refinishing my Gretsch kit and would like some advice on removing the badges. I read on Jammin sams web sight that they reccomend filing the grommet end off and simly removing the badge grommet and all. This sound great but I was wondering if somebody had a better idea. I was alos wondering if any body has used the the threaded heavy duty badge grommets and if the liked them?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I cut the inside of the grommet with a dremmel w tiny cut-off wheel. Neat and quick. I prefer factory crimp edge done with a grommet tool. The screw on type work fine if that’s the look your after.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a step bit from the inside of the shell. Will grind off the inner flange and allow you to pop out the bit. Just have a watchful eye and it should go well.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch badges are usually installed like this:
1655498187049.png

I think I bent up the 'ears' one at a time with a small screwdriver.

Cheshirecat81

Reaction score
Gretsch badges are usually installed like this:
View attachment 566129
I think I bent up the 'ears' one at a time with a small
I am considering refinishing my Gretsch kit and would like some advice on removing the badges. I read on Jammin sams web sight that they reccomend filing the grommet end off and simly removing the badge grommet and all. This sound great but I was wondering if somebody had a better idea. I was alos wondering if any body has used the the threaded heavy duty badge grommets and if the liked them?
I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and bent each tab up individually and just pushed it right out of the hole. I replaced them with the screw on ones that Jammin Sam sells. Very happy with the outcome

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I cut the inside of the grommet with a dremmel w tiny cut-off wheel. Neat and quick. I prefer factory crimp edge done with a grommet tool. The screw on type work fine if that’s the look your after.
I use the dremmel too. Just be careful. You can easily cut into the shell.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the badge has the "flower petal" crimp, as Gretsch often do, I bend the tabs up until the grommet will slide out. This lets you reuse the grommet.

On "normal" grommets I take a rat tail file and file around the inner edge of the grommet. Eventually you file all around the inner lip and it comes off freeing the grommet. It takes a bit of time but the chances of damaging your drum shell are minimal. You will need a new grommet though ( I make my own) if you want to put the badge back in place correctly.

crestiferJ

Reaction score
i've had pretty good luck removing old grommets using a counter sink drill bit. i just protect the shell with a towel or blanket and drill the inside diamter of the grommet from inside the drum. i've yet to damage a shell with this method. i just go slow and slowly drill with the counter sink bit until the grommet is loose and can slide out of the drum to the outside of the shell and i can then remove the badge. just did this on a 70's gretsch kit and a 70's ludwig that i'm recovering.