Ballpark Value For Ludwig & Ludwig 1930-ish Peacock Pearl Snare Drum?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, I'll post some pictures tonite. Suffice it to say it was probably 5x14, all original, no real issues, and pretty darn clean with light fading.
Guy down the street from me works at a vintage clothing store, and they also have a few odds and ends next to the clothes. So someone selling
clothes also had "a lamp for sale". Turned out to be this snare drum with a homemade light bulb rig inside that was old. Bakelight era. Guy selling
the "lamp" wanted $5. NO, NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!!!! I got to keep the lamp rig although we cut the cord to remove it.

So what is the ballpark on a Peacock Pearl 5x14 in pretty nice shape?

EDIT: Pictures added. Light bulb assembly is in my possession. The snare drum is NOT. Guy at vintage clothing store has it. He paid $20. I told him I was interested in the drum if he sells it. Which is why I'm asking about it's possible value...

Stretch

Attachments

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For clarification, will the resale be with or without light bulbs? Sweet find Stretch!

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy moly.
Pics or it didn’t happen!!!

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope the light wasn’t part of the original drum, some had lights to keep
The heads warm.
Waiting on the pictures or it’s an April Fools joke.
Great story.
Wayne

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow beauty
Great shape but I am confused.
You bought the lights but not the drum?
Even the strainer is still there.
Still trying to figure out the lamp part.
Was it on a stand?
Wayne

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
SO THE STORY IS THIS. I DID NOT BUY THE DRUM, because it wasn't offered to me. The drum was bought by the vintage clothing shop owner. He came to me to help him remove the light bulb. I work at a music store, he sells clothes. But it was HIS customer who sold the "lamp" to him. And the "lamp" turned out to be this snare drum with bulbs inside. It was brought in in a fiber drum case. There never was a stand.

Stretch

Hobbs

Reaction score
Catch and release ... at least you got pics. Well, I think most of us vintage nuts have had something like this happen. More than once.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The $1175 drum has serious wrap issues. If the one one from the clothing store has no extra hole from the lamp (looks like they just ran a cord through the badge grommet), then I think you'd get at least $1500 for that drum. If I were Stretch, I'd go to that store and offer them a grand.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You mean the value after you buy it. You have to buy the drum first- guy might sell for cheap.
What or does he care about drums to look into its value.

This story isn't complete yet.
Has a lamp cord hole in it..we know that much.

Did you ask what he wanted for it?

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The $1175 drum has serious wrap issues. If the one one from the clothing store has no extra hole from the lamp (looks like they just ran a cord through the badge grommet), then I think you'd get at least $1500 for that drum. If I were Stretch, I'd go to that store and offer them a grand.
Yeah, I'm thinking of making an offer on it, just not sure how much I want to spend to own it. Something less than $1000, although $1000 would be reasonable.
I also don't usually keep my drums for very long, so I want to make sure if I sell it off i can make a few bucks along the way.

Stretch