Ballpark Value For Ludwig & Ludwig 1930-ish Peacock Pearl Snare Drum?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Way I understand it is the drum is gone home with it's owner and the store wanted only the lamp. Does the clothes store know who brought the drum in. You would find that out. Go get in contact with that person and let him say to you: " 200$ ? I want 6000$ for it"
No, the store wasn't even interested in the lamp. The owner of the clothing store was a guitarist who knew that the snare drum was worth something, so he bought it for $20 just to get it. The "lamp" owner just wanted $5. Obviously never had a clue as to what he had. I ended up with the lights because no one wanted them. It's a Bakelight switch and might be worth a few bucks.

Stretch

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buy the drum. Find out what he'll take before someone informs him drummers are crazy and will pay a lot for an 80 year old drum.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking of making an offer on it, just not sure how much I want to spend to own it. Something less than $1000, although $1000 would be reasonable.
I also don't usually keep my drums for very long, so I want to make sure if I sell it off i can make a few bucks along the way.

Stretch
If there are no issues with the drum, I'd bet you could buy it for a grand and flip it quickly for a nice profit if you can't hold onto it. And for a fast flip, the buyer would likely be getting a great deal too. Of course, you have to convince the owner to sell before he does a lot of research. It takes little time nowadays for a guy with no knowledge to go to a facebook instrument page and quickly get some "values" on the drum. I've done it with guitar and saxophone stuff and found much of the info to be spot on in regards to a quick sale.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't offer the guy a grand you don't want to give him a heart attack; Ask him 'what he wants'.....
don't wait too long....may be too late already; Ideally got the guy on the phone the moment you laid eyes on it..in your shop.

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Catch and release ... at least you got pics. Well, I think most of us vintage nuts have had something like this happen. More than once.
I got pics, and even better was actually holding the thing in my hands for close inspection. I was the one who removed the top head and put it back on.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But you've no idea what he'd like to sell it for?
I sent him a message today telling him I was interested in buying it and how much did he want. He JUST messaged me back and said "it must be pretty rare, I can't find one like it to determine a value. I'm putting it on eBay bidding will start at $1."

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yowza! Nice looking snare. Hope you can work something out to get it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make an offer ASAP! (Not a crazy high offer, because then he won't sell it!)
Or tell the guy you will build him (for his store) a beautiful looking snare lamp using any other snare you own.
You never know, he might accept that and just give you that snare drum to throw in the trash LOL!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the Peacock Pearl wrap was 1928-1932, why is the shell stamped 3508?
Wouldn't that indicate August 1935?
Could the wrap have sat around those extra few years then got used here in 1935?

Hey Mike Curatto, any insight??

Stretch

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd have an exploratory discussion with the clothing guy and feel him out before offering any amount. If the market value is $1000+ and the guy has no clue, I'd offer $500. that just might blow his mind and make him jump in head first.