Band Website headaches

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So our band website has become hopelessly out of date after the replacement of a band member. We had to wait until after the covid shutdowns to finally and safely get band photos redone. I tried updating the old one which was done by a "real" web designer using Wordpress. Holy crap it was a nightmare. I spent hours trying to simply replace a few pics using Wordpress tutorials and youtube. Our singer also had a graphic designer friend try but gave up after 3 days of frustration and only swapping out a small percentage of photos. I thought Wordpress was supposed to be easy. not true! I spent 40 years doing high level science at UCSF so I can handle using software to a degree (but I am no programmer for sure). It should not be so freaking hard. A couple folks suggested trying Squarspace. Any thoughts or suggestions?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the old one which was done by a "real" web designer using Wordpress.
"Real" web developers don't use WordPress. You can even ask me, a "real" web developer.
And even though my livelihood depends on it, I would love it if the Internet were completely shut down pronto. It was a great idea that took a left turn along the way. The world would be a much better place without it. While we're at it, let's scrap "smart" phones too.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Real" web developers don't use WordPress. You can even ask me, a "real" web developer.
And even though my livelihood depends on it, I would love it if the Internet were completely shut down pronto. It was a great idea that took a left turn along the way. The world would be a much better place without it. While we're at it, let's scrap "smart" phones too.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I use Wix. I know serious web managers don’t use it but it works for me. I manage three sites. I make it a priority to keep my bands sites up to date. My personal web site? Not so much.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
WordPress gets real tricky, real fast, when you start using themes like Divi that have their own built in visual editors. Is that the case here? Is there a third party theme that is giving you fits?

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I maintain 4 band websites. One is with Squarespace and the rest are with Bandzoogle. Bandzoogle is by far my favorite. It's super easy and intuitive, and specifically designed for everything we need (music players, selling merch, etc.). Highly recommended.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WordPress gets real tricky, real fast, when you start using themes like Divi that have their own built in visual editors. Is that the case here? Is there a third party theme that is giving you fits?
Honestly, I don't know. But, what I do know is that it is not worth the effort to salvage. Seems like Wix, Bandzoogle, and Squarespace are the ones I should look at and are commonly used by bands.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. But, what I do know is that it is not worth the effort to salvage. Seems like Wix, Bandzoogle, and Squarespace are the ones I should look at and are commonly used by bands.
WordPress is a full featured content management system. In the past I worked for a company that hosted sites as large as state government portals on WordPress. Perhaps stretching the platform to its limits, but powerful it is. I can't imagine why a band would need it unless they were regularly updating content on their website. That's just not 2021. Bands update regularly on social media, and occasionally on their website. I'd move on to a simpler platform as you're already considering. Good luck!

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I maintain 4 band websites. One is with Squarespace and the rest are with Bandzoogle. Bandzoogle is by far my favorite. It's super easy and intuitive, and specifically designed for everything we need (music players, selling merch, etc.). Highly recommended.
Well I tried Bandzoogle. The templates are great, the ease of use is really good, and the support is unreal. I've bugged them with 10 questions already. Chat help in real time, email response in under an hour, and they make short step by step videos to answer many questions. Thanks for the suggestion!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a graphic designer, and I occasionally get wrangled into working on websites. Unless I need some sort of unique or custom functionality, I use Squarespace or Showit. It's just easier and it works.