header.nohb.html

Bands that needed to hire another drummer to record one track because their drummer wasn’t getting it right

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is an extension to another similar thread that @JimmyM started. Sometimes drummers can’t get the “feel” of a song so the band hires another drummer to record it. Two songs come to mind for me. Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Tuesday’s Gone” and Pink Floyd’s “Mother.” Both songs are favorites of mine too. Anybody think of any others?

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy Taylor, the great drummer/singer for Christopher Cross, relayed the story here on DFO about them having difficulty getting a decent drum track on the eventual hit "Sailing", so the band hired Jeff Porcaro to play on it. (I believe the final take is Tommy, but the parts played were derived from Jeff's approach to the song.)
This is a pic of Porcaro playing Taylor's Sonors with Tommy kneeling beside him.

sdv.jpg

Last edited:

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy Taylor, the great drummer/singer for Christopher Cross, relayed the story here on DFO about them having difficulty getting a decent drum track on the eventual hit "Sailing", so the band hired Jeff Porcaro to play on it.
This is a pic of Porcaro playing Taylor's Sonors with Tommy kneeling beside him.

View attachment 594088
Holy blanket batman!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tommy Taylor, the great drummer/singer for Christopher Cross, relayed the story here on DFO about them having difficulty getting a decent drum track on the eventual hit "Sailing", so the band hired Jeff Porcaro to play on it.

View attachment 594088
hard to argue with that decision.

JimV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy Taylor is a cool guy , he told me that my shuffle was better than Gadds then said , don’t tell him I said that please .
+1 on Tommy Taylor. A few years back I was in a band that was opening and he offered to help with a difficult situation where he certainly could have chose not to. Long story short is the headliner’s band management didn’t want the opener to use the stage or the PA (they decided this after we got to the venue) Our group was instrumental Hammond organ group so we did what they wanted,played, got the check, and left. Tommy picked up on what was going on, quietly talked to some people, and gave us the “well, I tried” look. Very nice of him to do that.

Vicey

Reaction score
Andy Newmark played on the final cut of Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. Like "Mother," it has time changes that Nick Mason either couldn't handle or couldn't be bothered to learn, depending on who you listen to.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure he was replaced so much as he just wasn’t around when they recorded it .
Jimmy is on a few more I believe.
I always wondered why Watts doesn't appear on a handful of songs here and there.

The Stones did use a lot of session musicians on their albums.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first 2 O.A.R. Albums, though their drummer was credited, were actually Steve Jordan. This was shared with me by their producer who still has the masters and let me listened to some of the sessions when I was drumming for him on another project.
Their drummer was fine live but just couldn’t sync up with the click and played stiff.
By their 3rd album he was able to do the tracking.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure he was replaced so much as he just wasn’t around when they recorded it .
Jimmy is on a few more I believe.
It's kind of both. On You Can't Always Get What You Want, Charlie was there, but wasn't getting the feel that Jimmy Miller and Keith wanted. Jimmy got behind the drums to show him and they ended up getting a take. When they came back the next day, Charlie had it down, but they kept the take with Jimmy. They had moved on from that song.

I always wondered why Watts doesn't appear on a handful of songs here and there.

The Stones did use a lot of session musicians on their albums.
Charlie was never replaced by a session drummer. And the Stones used session players to augment their lineup, not replace someone. You Can't Always Get What You Want is the only song you could say he was replaced on.

The other songs Jimmy Miller played on, "Happy" and "Shine A Light" were because Charlie wasn't there when they recorded them. And he played double drums with Charlie on "Tumbling Dice" but didn't replace him. As for Jimmy playing the cowbell on Honky Tonk Women - of course he did! Who else would have? Not Charlie. The cowbell was played live with the rhythm track. Jimmy Miller was a great percussionist - he played tambourine on practically every song on Exile On Main Street.

Kenney Jones played on "It's Only Rock N Roll (But I Like It)." The song was written and recorded in Ronnie Wood's home studio in the middle of the night by Ronnie and Mick (before Ronnie was in the Stones) and they needed a drummer, so they called Kenney to come over and play what he thought was a demo. It ended up being the take.