Bands With More Than One Drummer

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
King Crimson at 3. Tedeschi-Trucks Band At 2. Of course, the old Allman Brothers Band and Doobie Brothers and Grateful Dead.
Technically Crimson has 4 as Reiflin is still playing with them, only on keys this time around. :)

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
King Crimson at 3. Tedeschi-Trucks Band At 2. Of course, the old Allman Brothers Band and Doobie Brothers and Grateful Dead.
J.J. Johnson and Tyler Greenwell are pretty spectacular with Tedeschi Trucks. Simply saying that they're tight doesn't seem to do them justice. It's beyond technical - those two gentleman are surfing on each other's brainwaves.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool tunes as well
I saw them live about a year and a half ago. While the idea of 2 drummers is cool to me, it simply didn't work live. Maybe it was the venue we saw them at or the sound guy, but it was not interesting at all. There were unintended flams, and at the end of the set it was clear we were mostly hearing one of the drummers. The other guy was almost inaudible.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dahaud Sharr paired with Peter Van Hooke behind Van Morrison live. They also did a lot of the studio work with Van.
Those guys worked so incredibly well together.
Consider the knife edge that is Van live ... and those two kept that music flowing so smoothly. I do not believe they ever played the same groove together. Peter usually played the main groove while Dahaud would color and punctuate underneath. Brilliant.
Amazing pair.

... and with Pee Wee Ellis blowing sax, how could it have been anything but spectacular!

Last edited:

pH12

Reaction score
Genesis- Phil Colins/Chester Thompson, lefty/righty mirror image during the occaisional unison fill

Zeppelin at Live Aid.

Last edited:

TPC

Reaction score
So much of the time I see the two drummers playing more or less the same thing. Both on ride cymbal, bass, snare, both playing backbeats (unintentional flams), etc. Why? Many/most seem to work this way. I’m not a fan of this style.

Instead, the drummers have to be highly aware of what the other guy is playing and PLAY SOMETHING ELSE - different subdivisions, different parts of the drum set ...

I think the Dead and the Allmans did it best. Two drummers with very different styles and sound palettes.

Then there’s the Ornette Free Jazz and In All Languages bands, and Sun Ra styles that are extremely effective. Swing combined with straight 1/8’s, chaos, wall of rhythm, etc.

Last edited:

lamartee

Reaction score
J.J. Johnson and Tyler Greenwell are pretty spectacular with Tedeschi Trucks. Simply saying that they're tight doesn't seem to do them justice. It's beyond technical - those two gentleman are surfing on each other's brainwaves.
[/QUOT!

Amen to that!

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts