Bands With More Than One Drummer

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its all about similar chemistry and blending instruments together, drum harmony if you will.
Have been double drumming my whole career going back to the 70's playing in GD and ABB type bands covering quite a bit of the stuff still to this day. Generally, one drummer lays down the beat the other a colorist , a pretty basic approach. When both in the same groove a piece of cake and thing of beautyView attachment 415281View attachment 415283
Billy's the groove, the solid center, Mickey's the color
Yeah I was hinting to something of that nature ;)

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dahaud Sharr paired with Peter Van Hooke behind Van Morrison live. They also did a lot of the studio work with Van.
Those guys worked so incredibly well together.
Consider the knife edge that is Van live ... and those two kept that music flowing so smoothly. I do not believe they ever played the same groove together. Peter usually played the main groove while Dahaud would color and punctuate underneath. Brilliant.
Amazing pair.

... and with Pee Wee Ellis blowing sax, how could it have been anything but spectacular!
Sharr kills it on Street Choir . " Domino "

Van Hooke squeaky clean without becoming sterile . " Summertime in England "

owr

Reaction score
In my (limited) experience, it only works if both drummers are deliberately playing to complement each other. You can’t just play what you normally would and expect it to work.

Years ago when I was first coming up I got pulled into a one off band with some guys I looked up to for a house party. Classic rock, lots of Grateful Dead and the like. Apparently rehearsals with me let them a bit worried cause the night of the gig I show up and there’s another drummer setting up. Given the music, it was appropriate, but I was peeved that I had t been told about it ahead of time.

First set we played was rough, I just played the way I normally did. During the break I got to know the other guy and talked it through a bit. Second set I listened to him a lot, laid back a lot, played half of what I normally would. If went much better and there were a few magic moments. This was with a guy I just met, I can imagine how good it could get with someone long term.

I once saw paul Simon play 2007 or so and he had two kit drummers (one of which was Gadd) and a percussionist. If Gadd can manage, I can at least give it a shot.

Sure beats a singer with a tambourine...

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the ending two drummer era of Fugazi. Some cool counterpoint happening, and the doubling sounds pretty awesome.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sharr kills it on Street Choir . " Domino "

Van Hooke squeaky clean without becoming sterile . " Summertime in England "
Whether you call him David Shaw, Dahaud Sharr, or even Daoud Shaw ... the man with many names was freekin brilliant behind the kit.

I've noticed quite a few people commenting on Jerry Garcia and the Dead in this thread.

Sharr (Shaw) was Jerry Garcia's drummer from 80-81.

The guy could absolutely play.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim Hodder and Jeff Porcaro played together on Steely Dan's 1974 tour supporting Pretzel Logic, before the band became the studio-only Fagen-Becker show.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't see anyone mention the Doobie Brothers. I saw Grace Potter with two drummers. And if we count a bass drummer and snare drummer then the majority of the New Orleans brass bands have two. Also a truly remarkable example was the last David Byrne tour which is going to Broadway soon. He had six drummer/percussionists with the components of the set split between two, three or four people, all carrying the instruments on harnesses and dancing/marching/moving.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Uh.... I have to completely disagree. Billy and Mickey complimented each other very well and referred to what they did as a double headed dragon. They stayed clear of playing the same thing. This is very eventide by listening to 71'-74' when it was just Billy. Also check out Dead and Company as these days they do it even more effectively as Mickey's set up is very unconventional with almost no cymbals and many drums from around the world in his mix.

Mickey's current live set up.
View attachment 415278
Well... I have to respectfully disagree with YOU. No less than Jerry himself often complained about the drummers having trouble playing the ballads and the "sneakers in the dryer" effect of the double-thudding approach being slightly out of sync at times--especially post 1980. Now, I'm a HUGE fan of the Boys and own TONS of Dicks Picks/Vault releases/etc, so I'm not coming at this from a negative angle at all.
There just simply ISN'T a need for 2 drummers on most (all?) of the "first set" material and much of the 2nd imho, especially post 1974. Yes, Drums/Space was cool and the occasional sublime moment DID occur, but Bill or Mick on their OWN were more than capable of handling things. Bill in particular has REALLY had to "dumb down" his approach to leave space for Mick. And in Dead & Co is Mickey even playing?? And Bill is barely playing at his advanced age...he is so used to leaving space that , to me, the drums are TOO sparse nowadays. YMMV

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
Well... I have to respectfully disagree with YOU. No less than Jerry himself often complained about the drummers having trouble playing the ballads and the "sneakers in the dryer" effect of the double-thudding approach being slightly out of sync at times--especially post 1980. Now, I'm a HUGE fan of the Boys and own TONS of Dicks Picks/Vault releases/etc, so I'm not coming at this from a negative angle at all.
There just simply ISN'T a need for 2 drummers on most (all?) of the "first set" material and much of the 2nd imho, especially post 1974. Yes, Drums/Space was cool and the occasional sublime moment DID occur, but Bill or Mick on their OWN were more than capable of handling things. Bill in particular has REALLY had to "dumb down" his approach to leave space for Mick. And in Dead & Co is Mickey even playing?? And Bill is barely playing at his advanced age...he is so used to leaving space that , to me, the drums are TOO sparse nowadays. YMMV
Fair assessment. But I disagree. Respectfully. ✌

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fair assessment. But I disagree. Respectfully. ✌
Saul Goodman! Being a drummer I obviously listen MUCH closer than the casual fan or Jerry Freak so I definitely hear what M & B were doing, esp say 85-95, and I fully enjoy both the '71-'74 and the Double Team years equally so it's always a fun listen. Imho Bill was one of the All-Time great jazz-rock drummers in his prime!!

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I guess "drummer" is here implicitly defined as someone with a conventional drum set--and while there have been a few bands with two of those, I've never seen the point.

Here in Latin America the first guy to be hired is the conga player. The second may be a conventional drum set player or a timbal player. This doesn't count the singer with a tambourine or cowbell.

Who's a drummer?

drummer1234

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned my friend and mentor Hal Blaine on numerous “Wall of Sound” sessions with Earl Palmer. Many huge selling records.

Latest posts