Bands With More Than One Drummer

richardh253

Reaction score
Ringo and Jim Keltner the concert for Bangladesh 1971, on the video they are having a great time together.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sun Ra regularly used two drummers. As did Ornette Coleman with his Primetime band and earlier on Free Jazz with Billy Higgins and Ed Blackwell. Earth, Wind and Fire used two drummers sometimes. Henry Threadgill used two drummers with the drums tuned to different pitches in his sextett in the 1990’s and has been using two in some of his recent bands.

sheddski

Reaction score
Does anyone know of bands with more than one drummer?
38 special had 2 drummers the outlaws had 2 even Charlie Daniels when I saw Charlie Daniels in1980 he had 2 drummers but after the break they came back with only 1 found out later the drummer was arrested for no payment of child support back stage doobie brothers was another duane allmon liked James Brown having 2 so he had Jamoe and butch

nearlybrian

Reaction score
Uh.... I have to completely disagree. Billy and Mickey complimented each other very well and referred to what they did as a double headed dragon. They stayed clear of playing the same thing. This is very eventide by listening to 71'-74' when it was just Billy. Also check out Dead and Company as these days they do it even more effectively as Mickey's set up is very unconventional with almost no cymbals and many drums from around the world in his mix.

Mickey's current live set up.
View attachment 415278
In interviews, Billy describes his role as the groove man which makes sense considering his roots as an R&B/Soul drummer. He lays down a song's rhythmic structure and feel. Micky is the time and color man with his roots in drum lines and years developing a sound toolbox from around the world with some of the best traditional drummers int he world. Call it what you want: point/counter point, syncopation, groove/color, hippy/music, you get the point. In the late 60's, at the beginning and for a short time in the early 70's, the Dead only had Billy. Great music, but not the same sound as with Micky.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band! Some incredible musicians in this collaborative effort, I mean big big names. Ringo, Helm, Bissonette, Keltner. No shortage of talent in this band.

Guitarists, vocalists, forget it - some of the very best players, singers, keyboardists, you name it. A who’s who of the coolest cats in music.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The most effective and musical use of this concept I've seen was Robby and Horacio with Jack Bruce's Cuica Project. That worked because both guys have a firm grounding in Afro Cuban percussion concepts and know what each other is playing, why, and how not to step on each other. Otherwise, the working examples are generally a case of one guy playing pocket while the other guy effectively plays percussion.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I agree with a few others in this thread. My favorite two drummer match ups were The Allman Brothers, Genesis, especially on Second's Out with Chester Thompson and Zappa on Roxy and Elsewhere, with Chester and Ralph Humphrey. I find the drum fill on More Trouble Every Day on Roxy that also appears on Afterglow on Second's Out to be one of the most bad ass drum fills by two drummers. It makes listening to both tunes addicting. I recently saw Tedeschi Trucks band with two drummers and while it was a good show, I wasn't sure the music really benefited with those two particular drummers. I know the Grateful Dead have pretty much always had two drummers but I swear when I listen to some of their tunes I only hear one drummer. If two drummers are playing but you only hear one, sort of like when you lock onto the metronome when practicing and you no longer hear the metronome, I figure what's the point of that? If you have two drummers don't you want to hear both of them? Isn't that the point of having two? Allmans, Genesis and Zappa you definitely hear them both and it gives the music a fatter rhythm. Just my opinion. It's not worth much to anyone else except to me.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Don Ellis used multiple drummers. Our own Dave Crigger might have interesting insight on the subject.