Bands With More Than One Drummer

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of both but think the ABB did it best with Butch, Jaimo, and later Mark Q on percussion. Mickey and Bill are fantastic as well, if a bit more "traditional" most of the time. Some of the spacier, stretched-out tunes were probably better for the 2-drummer approach (Other One, Playing in the Band, Dark Star) whereas there was really no room for 2 in the shorter tunes like Bertha and Mexicali Blues.
Except the best other ones and playings are often from the (second) one drummer era (71-74)

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Adam & the Ants, if anyone remembers them from the early 80's.
Adam Ant, before he went solo.
Mostly a tribal beat, and it worked well for them.
Lot's of tom patterns, and drums were the focus of that band.
They only had one guitar and a bass, no keyboards.
I think the one drummer was a lefty, so they kind of turned towards each other.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Thee Oh Sees. Some great double drums.

Not sure if it's only on stage, could be double drums in some of the albums but I'm not 100% sure

Saw them live in 2011 with Lars from The Intelligence on the 2nd drum kit and it was an amazing show

lurchbird

Reaction score
Happy Place - two drummers and two guitarists:

Will Mason and Austin Vaughn on drums
Guitarists Andrew Smiley and Will Chapin

Last edited:

lurchbird

Reaction score
BIRD SHOW BAND - two synths, two drummers, upright bass:

Ben Visa: Moog Voyager
Josh Abrams: Acoustic Bass
John Herndon: Drums
Dan Bitney: Drums
Jim Baker: ARP 2600

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Uh.... I have to completely disagree. Billy and Mickey complimented each other very well and referred to what they did as a double headed dragon. They stayed clear of playing the same thing. This is very eventide by listening to 71'-74' when it was just Billy. Also check out Dead and Company as these days they do it even more effectively as Mickey's set up is very unconventional with almost no cymbals and many drums from around the world in his mix.

Mickey's current live set up.
View attachment 415278
The best the Dead ever felt, to my ears, was when Mickey was on hiatus.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best the Dead ever felt, to my ears, was when Mickey was on hiatus.
By far in my opinion. 72-74 is their absolute peak. I have a theory that Mickey and TC brought something to the band attitude/concept-wise that their actual playing prevented the fulfillment of, and fair or not, Mickey after his breakdown held them back even more. Stiff, obvious cowbell parts and spacey mumbo jumbo. I think that with Oteil not being as laissez faire about things as phil was, and with Mickey basically buried in the mix on his toys "the dead" that tour now are actually better than anything that came after 74 (and almost as good as the 69-71 two drummer era, but not really in a league with the 72-74 one drummer stuff)

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
As far as the Allman Bros. are concerned, I always looked at Butch as the straight man with J Johnny being the comedian. I think that two headed 18" bass drum is one of most characteristic sounds of the early Allmans. J is breaking it up big time with both heavy on the ride patterns...and slightly different ones at that. Having seen them in the old days, what I couldn't hear I could see close up. Neither one was a hitter really...they kept it down and clean.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ABBA used two drummers för their tours.
First one with both drummers on Arbiter Autotune drums! A local distributer, and friend of mine, got them the kits for that first world tour. One (or both) of those kits sits in the Hellstone Music store in Stockholm, with the setlist still attached to one of the toms!
Second world tour they used Sonor Phonic drums.
Always white drums to match the stage and costumes. :)

Attachments

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as the Allman Bros. are concerned, I always looked at Butch as the straight man with J Johnny being the comedian. I think that two headed 18" bass drum is one of most characteristic sounds of the early Allmans. J is breaking it up big time with both heavy on the ride patterns...and slightly different ones at that. Having seen them in the old days, what I couldn't hear I could see close up. Neither one was a hitter really...they kept it down and clean.
I think in the last couple years of the band as Jaimoe started to come undone physically they began to bury him in the mix a bit, and at the big tribute show earlier this year I think we were hearing Duane Trucks almost exclusively. It's very sad, anyone who knows the history of the ABB, and has listened to those live records in stereo, or listened to Sea Level understands what a force he was at his best.

Latest posts