Bands with more than one name

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think Genesis was called Revelation in the US in the beginning (hence, From Genesis To Revelation)

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but didn't BOC play on long island as soft white underbelly? I heard something about that as a kid, could be myth.
BOC started as Soft White Underbelly. At the time they achieved arena-level success, they would occasionally play clubs as Soft White Underbelly.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Then there are the scenarios where the band gets fired, changes the name then gets another gig at the same place.....
bt
You might be thinking of the timeline leading up to Jethro Tull’s name.

From Minstrels in the Gallery, by David Rees:

At first, the new band had trouble getting repeat bookings and they took to changing their name frequently to continue playing the London club circuit, names which included "Navy Blue", "Ian Henderson's Bag o' Nails", and "Candy Coloured Rain". Anderson recalled looking at a poster at a club and concluding that the band name he didn't recognise was his.

And in Ian Anderson’s words from jethrotull.com:

Back in February, 1968, we had many different names which usually changed every week, since we were so bad that we had to pretend to be some new band in order to get re-booked in the clubs where we aspired to find fame and fortune. Our agent, who had studied History at college, came up with the name Jethro Tull (an eighteenth century English agricultural pioneer who invented the seed drill). That was the band name during the week in which London’s famous Marquee Club offered us the Thursday night residency. So it stuck. Is it too late to change? I thought so.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but didn't BOC play on long island as soft white underbelly? I heard something about that as a kid, could be myth.
Not a myth. That was one of their original names. But they didn't change it because of another band called that...they changed it because Blue Oyster Cult is a much better name.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Squeeze was called Squeeze UK in the US for their first album because of another band.

Blink 182 was originally called Blink.

Death From Above 1979 was just DFA till James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem made them change it.

My favorite, though, is Pearl Jam...they were called Mookie Blaylock till Mookie objected.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic I suppose as it’s not strictly about drums.

I’ve been getting back into the Raconteurs over the past couple of days and read somewhere that they are known as the Saboteurs in Australia because there’s already a band called the Raconteurs there and they didn’t want to give up their name. I actually wonder how that works with people in Australia purchasing their music.

Does anyone here know of any similar cases with other bands, past or present?
One that's the opposite situation, the Australian band The Angels were called Angel City in the US. I saw them open for The Kinks in 1980.

Face_To_Face_%28Album_Cover%29.jpg
61YfFXi8wiL._SL1068_.jpg

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Guess Who's record label inadvertently changed their name through a publicity stunt.

In 1965, the group changed their name to Chad Allan and the Expressions after an American group called The Reflections released the hit single "(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet".[8] They released the garage rock album Shakin' All Over in January 1965.[9] That album's single, a cover of "Shakin' All Over" by Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, was the band's first major hit, reaching no. 1 in Canada, no. 22 in the United States, and no. 27 in Australia. Their American label, Quality Records, disguised the single by crediting it to Guess Who?, as a publicity stunt to generate speculation that it was by a more famous British Invasion band working incognito.

After Quality Records revealed the band to be Chad Allan and the Expressions, disc jockeys continued to announce the group as Guess Who?, effectively forcing the band to accept the new name.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic.. But, I'm not sure of all the legalities of a band name.

My original band, The Moderns, was started way back in the 70s. Unbeknown to us, there was a band in England with the same name. Not sure which one was first, but no biggie as neither of us were very popular. They have been defunct for many years while we continue on.

Fast forward a bunch of years, when streaming services came out, we found that there are now a number of other bands with the same name, The Moderns. All of which are much younger than us. Most notably a band out of LA that plays entirely different music from us.

It's created problems in separating their music from ours on streaming services, but we aren't going to give up the name as we were easily the first with it.

So not bands with multiple names, but multiple bands with the same name. I guess I should start a new thread, but it's really not that important. Just came to mind when I saw this thread.

gabo

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I used to see a great band open for themselves as a different band. Different clothes and all - you wouldn't know it unless you were watching closely.

The headliner was the Slickee Boys, and the opener was the Wanktones, more of a garage rockabilly outfit.

Another band in the same area was the "Band of a Thousand Names". They had a new name for every show. The guitar player went on to become the famous Paul Reed Smith guitar manufacturer.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic.. But, I'm not sure of all the legalities of a band name.

My original band, The Moderns, was started way back in the 70s. Unbeknown to us, there was a band in England with the same name. Not sure which one was first, but no biggie as neither of us were very popular. They have been defunct for many years while we continue on.

Fast forward a bunch of years, when streaming services came out, we found that there are now a number of other bands with the same name, The Moderns. All of which are much younger than us. Most notably a band out of LA that plays entirely different music from us.

It's created problems in separating their music from ours on streaming services, but we aren't going to give up the name as we were easily the first with it.

So not bands with multiple names, but multiple bands with the same name. I guess I should start a new thread, but it's really not that important. Just came to mind when I saw this thread.

gabo
Very interesting. This was one of the things I was wondering about in my original post re: Australian fans of the Raconteurs buying their music, as I would think that they’d have access to material outside of Australia online and they wouldn’t be searching for the Saboteurs.

Last edited:

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. This was one of the things I was wondering about in my original post re: Australian fans of the Raconteurs buying their music, as I would think that they’d have access to material outside of Australia online and we wouldn’t be searching for the Saboteurs.

Yes, I agree. If you have a band and you notice on streaming services that some other band's material shows up on your page. You can put in an "artist separation" request with whoever your distributor is. If you give them the UPC codes of all your material they will generally separate them.

Of course for larger bands through major labels, they probably have it all sorted out as to how to handle it. But for smaller bands it's a bit trickier and sometimes they just don't get it separated very well.

Fortunately for us, many years ago (actually from the beginning in the 70s) we created a "logo" way of writing The Moderns. Every album, promotion, or printing of our name since the beginning has been done the same way. So it's easy to tell our work from someone else's.

As a side note... The way that logo came about, if you look at it, everything is in straight lines. It was done that way because it was easy to make stencil's to spray paint our name on all our equipment when we travelled! hahah..

Here's our logo. If it's written this way... It's us!

Moderns_logo_360.png

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. If you have a band and you notice on streaming services that some other band's material shows up on your page. You can put in an "artist separation" request with whoever your distributor is. If you give them the UPC codes of all your material they will generally separate them.

Of course for larger bands through major labels, they probably have it all sorted out as to how to handle it. But for smaller bands it's a bit trickier and sometimes they just don't get it separated very well.

Fortunately for us, many years ago (actually from the beginning in the 70s) we created a "logo" way of writing The Moderns. Every album, promotion, or printing of our name since the beginning has been done the same way. So it's easy to tell our work from someone else's.

As a side note... The way that logo came about, if you look at it, everything is in straight lines. It was done that way because it was easy to make stencil's to spray paint our name on all our equipment when we travelled! hahah..

Here's our logo. If it's written this way... It's us!

View attachment 534661
Awesome logo! I could picture drawing a small face around the O and D and making those letters be cool glasses.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome logo! I could picture drawing a small face around the O and D and making those letters be cool glasses.

Haha, never thought of that! If it didn't change the logo, I might go for it! haha. Had that logo too long to make changes now!

gabo

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
POCO started out as Pogo but were served legal paper by Walt Kelly. They were appearing as late as Dec '68 as Pogo.

BTW, the dog on the LP cover was added in place of original bassist Randy Meisner (> Eagles) who left Poc/go after recording most of the first LP.

1640284848831.png

1640284883056.png

1640284719658.png

1640284517523.png

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back as a kid we used to sit around a table passing funny cigarettes trying to decide on a band name. While in a fog and knowing who we all were, we chose Sphincter dubbage for obvious reasons. (we were stoner a-holes.) It never took but was always a joke later on in the years.....

Yeah, I guess you had to be there for it to be entertainment.

Sorry if this was offensive or breaks any forum rules.

I can find the exit on my own.