Bands you used to love but, but not so much now.

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
(Contains salty language)

That's what I've got - very little I've looked for and haven't found. Wife has to have Prime for work anyway, and while a with-commercials version is free with that, I'll pay 8 bucks to not hear the same ad 3 times in a row, 4 times an hour.
Haha nice cap :) BTW.. Henry's podcast (which he does one like very 4 months when bored) was all about meeting ozzy and hanging out with sabbath.. really good listen.

Balance

Reaction score
Wow there's so many but, off the top of my head and number 1; Led Zeppelin. Too much satanic stuff and too much song stealing. Still like John Bonham and John Paul Jones though. JPJ was pretty much the only original song writer in Zep. The other two can go to hell.

towndog

Reaction score
Sadly, most of them. Chicago for one. Up to the fifth album, then I couldn’t care less.
I would agree with that. The first couple Chicago albums were great until they got to the sappy Peter Cetera ballad era then I lost interest.

Also the J. Geils band. The first couple of albums were killer funky blues. After the Bloodshot album the next couple of albums were just OK. After the Hotline album the rest of the albums sucked. They were more successful but had went commercial and was not the same band. I saw them live a few times before they went commercial and they were the best live band I had ever seen.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
..... The first couple of albums were killer funky blues. After the Bloodshot album the next couple of albums were just OK. After the Hotline album the rest of the albums sucked. They were more successful but had went commercial and was not the same band. I saw them live a few times before they went commercial and they were the best live band I had ever seen.
This is the story for most bands entering the 80's from the 70's.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I find it odd that one would select against growth and maturity beyond the music of their youth. Scientific studies be damned. There is no way an artist should ever be satisfied with the choice of static influence and appreciation. To not delve into anything beyond that which was touched during ones hormonal shifts ... bizarre.
This is contrary to artistic growth ... the results of which would be quite the musician, I’m sure.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find it odd that one would select against growth and maturity beyond the music of their youth. Scientific studies be damned. There is no way an artist should ever be satisfied with the choice of static influence and appreciation. To not delve into anything beyond that which was touched during ones hormonal shifts ... bizarre.
This is contrary to artistic growth ... the results of which would be quite the musician, I’m sure.
My tastes have shifted quite a lot in just the last year alone .

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I more likely evolved to where I enjoy hearing some things that didn't do it for me in my younger years. Most of the stuff from back then I still like although it may have shifted out of the top spots for the above reasons. I have been making an attempt to listen to music that a stubborn-minded self might not otherwise seek out. I've overall been pleasantly surprised at how much stuff I actually enjoy hearing that may have been under (or over) the radar in my younger years. That's a good thing, I think. I don't like a musical rut.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Couple for me :
Rush - after Neil’s passing it just makes me too sad to listen to them anymore .

Chicago - my favourite band until I saw their last concert . I had already been a bit put off by Chicago after they ousted Danny Seraphine . I had seen them a couple times with Tris Imboden and he is a fine drummer . The current lineup is a joke . Walfredo Reyes Jr the former percussionist is now the drummer and he just can’t cut the gig IMHO. Keith Howland the guitar player is a miserable cuss and just looks like he is collecting a pay cheque . Lou Pardini the second keyboard player made multiple gaffs and clinkers and butchered the one song he sang . The three remaining original members are still great but they cannot save the band anymore .

Some others
Van Halen
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Killers
Green Day

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I more likely evolved to where I enjoy hearing some things that didn't do it for me in my younger years. Most of the stuff from back then I still like although it may have shifted out of the top spots for the above reasons. I have been making an attempt to listen to music that a stubborn-minded self might not otherwise seek out. I've overall been pleasantly surprised at how much stuff I actually enjoy hearing that may have been under (or over) the radar in my younger years. That's a good thing, I think. I don't like a musical rut.
Yeah me too , and my current GF has turned me on to a lot of music as well .
I'm so Classic rocked out ....

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jethro Tull after Aqualung

Chicago after their second album became formulaic

Savoy Brown after Street Corner Talking

After Zuma, Neil Young's moments of brilliance kept getting farther and farther apart .

Jackson Browne after Everyman

Jeff Beck after Beckola and Truth

Van Morrison during and after Wavelength

Dire Straits after their second album

Rod Stewart after Never a Dull Moment

Bad Company after their first album

McCartney after Band on the Run

Fleetwood Mac after Buckingham Nicks joined

King Crimson after their second album

Yes after Close to the Edge

Emerson Lake Palmer after their first album

Black Sabbath after Paranoid

Michael Jackson after The Jackson Five

BB King after LA Midnight

Dianna Ross after she left the Supremes

Marvin Gaye after Lets Get it On

Dr John after Hollywood be Thy Name

CSNY , they kinda evaporated after the second album

Miles Davis after Miles Ahead/ Kind of Blue

Santana after Abraxas

Roxy Music after Stranded

ZZ Top after Tres Hombres

Steely Dan .... they couldn't buy a thrill after they lost that number .... chose perfection over excellence .

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Couple for me :
Rush - after Neil’s passing it just makes me too sad to listen to them anymore .

Chicago - my favourite band until I saw their last concert . I had already been a bit put off by Chicago after they ousted Danny Seraphine . I had seen them a couple times with Tris Imboden and he is a fine drummer . The current lineup is a joke . Walfredo Reyes Jr the former percussionist is now the drummer and he just can’t cut the gig IMHO. Keith Howland the guitar player is a miserable cuss and just looks like he is collecting a pay cheque . Lou Pardini the second keyboard player made multiple gaffs and clinkers and butchered the one song he sang . The three remaining original members are still great but they cannot save the band anymore .
These old bands are starting to look silly up there to me ..

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Skynyrd and Rush . Hope I never tire of Kansas , Lately I’m in a Steven Wilson listenfest pretty much a whole month now .
I found Steven Wilson when I think DanRH posted a Porcupine Tree video several years ago. A little late, but I got prettY much everything PT and solo, and love it all.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would agree with that. The first couple Chicago albums were great until they got to the sappy Peter Cetera ballad era then I lost interest.

Also the J. Geils band. The first couple of albums were killer funky blues. After the Bloodshot album the next couple of albums were just OK. After the Hotline album the rest of the albums sucked. They were more successful but had went commercial and was not the same band. I saw them live a few times before they went commercial and they were the best live band I had ever seen.
J. Geils . I agree . How to maintain that sort of intensity and not die ? You can't .

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
It's not them it's you. Seriously I've been through this before. While I don't wish to minimize anyone's clinical depression (try living with someone with major depression. I do.) It's something everyone deals with in varying amounts from time to time. And musicians are especially prone to it. And even if you're basically dealing well with it, this is one of the minor ways it affects you. Losing interest in things you once cared about. And it is a relatively minor thing we tend to wrap an inordinate amount of ourselves up in. So yeah there can be disillusionment with it. 40 year old pop (or snobby intellectual music du jour for that matter) won't carry you through times of soul searching. That's not it's job. just enjoy when it's good and look elsewhere for sustenance.
It'll be there for the good times when you come back around.

Latest posts