Bands you used to love but, but not so much now.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...Where once I was blind, now I can see.
Percussion is the main force behind this music.
Dont worry about lyrics you might not understand.
It really kicks in at (1:20)
Your mind operates like a parachute...
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
Sixteenths on your snare. Accent
a of 1
+ of 2
e and the a of 3
+ of 4
Bass drum quarters.
Immediately thereafter I recommend dancing to it...

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KISS and Genesis. There's still a few songs from each I like, but I struggle getting into them anymore. Especially KISS> Gene and Paul seem like such genuine tools...it really taints it for me.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently found a 10 year old MP3 player. It was like taking a walk down memory lane. 1/2 the music I still listen to. Some of the stuff on there I don't remember ever listening to.

Reactions: Ely

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Motley Crue, Poison, and Bon Jovi. I loved them when I was 14-15, now I just can’t stand any of them.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Classic rock in general.

To be honest, I really have to be in the mood these days to listen to classic rock or any of the bands I loved. IMHO, a lot of it hasn't aged well. A lot of it sounds dated to me, almost like oldies. They are not like the old standards that Sinatra or Dean Martin did, music that can roll on forever and sound fresh to me. These days, I'd rather listen to a John Pizzarelli, Tommy Igoe or some old Buddy Rich.

I feel that I wasted a lot of time listening and trying to play classic rock that now in looking back, would have been better spent on more productive endeavors. When I read about the excess of drugs and sex that bands that I loved did BITD, I become saddened by the waste of it all and it turns me off to the whole scene.

So yeah, I'm 60 now and with age, comes a little perspective.

Of course this is just my humble opinion... :)

AgentGreen

Reaction score
Radiohead, Pink Floyd and many others listed previously

I really don't know how I thought Radiohead was actually good music, it got worse from the ok computer album.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I'm 68, and I still love just about all the music that I loved when I was a teenager. The only artist I loved then that I don't love now is Chicago. I still enjoy listening to their first two albums, but they're the only two I ever bought — everything since has been lousy (OK, their third wasn't so bad). They should have packed it in after Terry Kath died — he was their musical heart and soul.

The only artist who I really loved recently but now, not so much, is Steve Vai. I have his first 8 CDs plus a DVD, but only still listen to the first 4 CDs (and haven't played the DVD except for once when I first got it). At first I was captivated by the virtuosity of it all, but now most of it strikes me as just too much testosterone-fueled ego posturing.

I've been a Sirius/XM subscriber for 17 years, and the channel I find myself listening to most often is The Beatles Channel. Their music continues to supply me with new gifts, even more than 50 years after I first started listening to it (yep, I watched 'em on Sullivan in February of '64). Even the songs on their first couple of albums are still wondrous.

Speaking of Sirius/XM, for the past month Sirius/XM has had a Led Zeppelin Radio channel (all Zep). I've rediscovered some of their stuff that I never listened to and have an even greater appreciation for just how good (and important) a drummer John Bonham was. Zep is definitely one of the bands I loved when I was younger that I still love.

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
Used to absolutely love me some Dream Theater. Huge fan. Then Systematic Chaos ended the run for me. James' voice finally grated on my last nerve (had for awhile) and I grew tired of hearing the boys try to mimic Tool or Metallica or whichever band they were heavy listening to at the time.
I will listen to my favorite DT tracks on a playlist, rarely it seems, but honestly it doesn't register with me anymore.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used to absolutely love me some Dream Theater. Huge fan. Then Systematic Chaos ended the run for me. James' voice finally grated on my last nerve (had for awhile) and I grew tired of hearing the boys try to mimic Tool or Metallica or whichever band they were heavy listening to at the time.
I will listen to my favorite DT tracks on a playlist, rarely it seems, but honestly it doesn't register with me anymore.
I can barely listen to any DT anymore .
And I was a big fan .
I was in awe of Portnoy , now he just sounds like he forces his style into whatever band he’s in .

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I really don't know how I thought Radiohead was actually good music, it got worse from the ok computer album.
Huh...
Most Radiohead fans I know are the opposite. They “liked ‘em okay they’re cool I guess y’know” to “Now that I’m a neurotic dad who no longer feels as though I have any power or even any meaningful stake in my own life I appreciate them on a WHOLE new level”

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
At first blush, Ted Nugent comes to mind.
The Nuge is good for keeping I.C.P. from worrying if they’re the most embarrassing clowns to come from Michigan. Kid Rock makes sure they don’t even need reassuring that they might be in second place.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the issues is that Classic Rock Radio (which, the music of my early-90's youth certainly qualifies as) is that they grind good songs and bands into dust, because there are reams of data showing that enough people won't change the station when "Good Times, Bad Times" comes on for the 27th time that week that there is no reason to play anything else.

I can't stand it now, but is Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" a good song? Was it ever? Was "10" good? Was Pearl Jam?
It's a struggle to answer that objectively, but I'd rather walk barefoot through a thumbtack factory then hear them now.

I will say that the stuff from back then that I still enjoy listening to, like Urge Overkill, Meat Puppets, Jesus & Mary Chain, Pulp, Stereolab, etc. isn't played on the radio (well, UO's "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" cover, but I ain't sick of that yet), so if it pops up in a stream it's like hearing from an old friend, and not running into your boorish upstairs neighbor who apparently has a private bowling alley and farts so loud you can hear it through the floor for the 3rd time today.

WXRT does theme days, and every once in a great while it's the lesser-played stuff. I still enjoy many of those.
I sold some vintage gear to Stereolab....Tangerine Sparkle Gretsch 20,12,14 Set....Blue Sparkle Gretsch bongos...Ludwig wood tambourine....some old A’s....Mary and Andy stopped over to my house pre show once..and Mary got so wrapped up looking thru my 1,700 LPS..They were late to the gig!

Latest posts