Banner Mij drums

Mr TS

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have this mij kit that sat on in someone’s barn for probably about 30 years. I cleaned up the lugs on the floor tom and I just finished putting the bass drum lugs in after giving them a good polish. I took out the original bass drum legs and got some DW clamp on ones. The bass drum is 20, floor tom is 14 and I have a tom that’s 13. The 13 tom has a bad crack in the wrap and I still need to take it apart and clean it up. These have rerings and have a nice mellow tone. I think maybe made in the same factory as the Stewarts/Pearl drums. The tension rods and threading in the lugs match up with a Stewart tom that I have. I also have a Star(Tama) tom and the lug inserts and tension rods didn’t match up with these. Anyone ever seen a Banner kit before? Anyone know what the colour of the wrap is? I think that it’s some kind of onyx but I can’t find any matches. I did see one that was white onyx which is as close as I’ve gotten. Anyways, thanks for looking and any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If no luck/ Check over at/ Vintage Drum Forum guys know MIJ backwards and forwards...
backwards and sideways I meant... ; /

Mr TS

Reaction score
If no luck/ Check over at/ Vintage Drum Forum guys know MIJ backwards and forwards...
backwards and sideways I meant... ; /
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Mr TS

Reaction score

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok. I'd match that "World's Supreme Quality" with other ("distributor") names; I've seen that before; then match the lugs and whatever else ^^ In those Japanese pages above))
Those "names" are-were- just territorial distributors... You'll get to the root of it)

90% end up being precursor to "pearl export" with out the power tom & bass sizes/ Trad size & pearl wraps / were Still mid/late/60s/ "in"... ; )

Last edited:

Mr TS

Reaction score
It definitely seems to be Pearl and now that you pointed out that worlds supreme quality that makes it seem to be the case even more so. Thanks JDA. I did post on the other forum, but I couldn’t attach the pics, so I put a link to this thread in there instead.

Reactions: JDA

Mr TS

Reaction score
Ok, so it seems actually that they were made in the Star(pre-Tama) factory in 1966, based on what I can see on the vintage drum guide website. I compared the lugs and the tom mount and they seem to match up with the ones on the chart that I saw there.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems actually that they were made in the Star(pre-Tama) factory in 1966, based on what I can see on the vintage drum guide website. I compared the lugs and the tom mount and they seem to match up with the ones on the chart that I saw there.
Yup! Pretty sure these are Star-made. Stewart was one of the only stencil names used by both Pearl & Star & if you go to the badge section of VDG you can see both badge types and clearly see that the Star-made Stewart badge is identical to yours, with the exception of Banner instead of Stewart.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup! Pretty sure these are Star-made. Stewart was one of the only stencil names used by both Pearl & Star & if you go to the badge section of VDG you can see both badge types and clearly see that the Star-made Stewart badge is identical to yours, with the exception of Banner instead of Stewart.
From what I understand, many these early MIJ stencil kits had countless names for what was essentially the same kit.

You could pretty much have any name you wanted on these badges, as long as you ordered enough of them. The same kits with badges like "Mr TS - World's Supreme Quality" or "Funkypoodle - World's Supreme Quality" could be made.

I think it's akin to private label: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_label

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From what I understand, many these early MIJ stencil kits had countless names for what was essentially the same kit.

You could pretty much have any name you wanted on these badges, as long as you ordered enough of them. The same kits with badges like "Mr TS - World's Supreme Quality" or "Funkypoodle - World's Supreme Quality" could be made.

I think it's akin to private label: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_label
Yes, this is true. The OP was looking to understand which company made them, as Star, Pearl & Hoshino were all in this game. The Pearl stencils are essentially the same as other Pearl stencils, Star stencils are essentially the same as other Star stencils, Hoshino....well you get the point. They can (pretty well) be lumped into 3 groups, so no, not all stencil kits are essentially the same kit, they are one of (mostly) 3 same kits.

And yeah, who wouldn't want a Funkypoodle - World's Supreme Quality kit? Although my family is Stewart. Also my first kit in the 70's.

1175020_10203005997943133_6900257330989983133_n.jpg

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another Star indicator is the wrap. "Black Agathe Pearl", which looks much like Rogers' Black Onyx (& whatever Slingerland called it) is in the 1967 Star catalogue & isn't in Pearl catalogues of the same era.

Latest posts