Bare [bear] with me

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I take a stripped down vintage Ludwig shell, and built it up with Tama hardware from another stripped down shell, do I have a Ludwig drum?
If I take vintage hardware off a Rogers shell and build it up with a Keller shell, do I have a Rogers drum?...or what do I have?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes on the first one
No on the second (Unless Rogers used keller shells

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here ya go. Toms are orphan Gretsch. All metal had been painted black. Pearl mounts. Triple flange hoops. Bass is ‘58 Ludwig. Lugs were trashed/missing. I used Gretsch I had. Same hole spacing. Bunch of mutts. Don’t care what it’s called. Became my gigging weapon. Sounds great. I don’t have to worry about it.
D34E1537-C0FB-4B37-A4EF-2E7DC75BBF1F.jpeg

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tough question. Originally I was going to say no to both. However, my 1963 Chevy S10 had a new engine and transmission and I would still consider it a Chevy.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know what it is.... it's a LuTdAwMiAg!

For me, and I know everyone is different, the shell is the soul of the drum. If I buy a STOCK shell from someone then build it up into a drum, I may call it a Wilson Customs, but it is really who ever built the shell. if I have contract someone else to build a custom shell for me to my specifications, then it is MY drum as it is my design. Again, thats just me and that is not the most popular opinion.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I think what you would have in both cases are things that can't be described with single brand names unless you wanted to confuse people by calling one "Ludma" and the other one "Kelro." You would have, in short, what you described:

- A vintage Ludwig shell with Tama hardware
- A Keller shell with vintage Rogers hardware

These descriptions are like high prime numbers, where you can't do the math to combine things together to get a composite number (vintage Ludwig shell x Tama hardware does not = Ludwig drum, etc.). Add in the size of the drum, and people have the information they need to know what they are dealing with.

Last edited:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I know what it is.... it's a LuTdAwMiAg!

For me, and I know everyone is different, the shell is the soul of the drum. If I buy a STOCK shell from someone then build it up into a drum, I may call it a Wilson Customs, but it is really who ever built the shell. if I have contract someone else to build a custom shell for me to my specifications, then it is MY drum as it is my design. Again, thats just me and that is not the most popular opinion.
So, a lot of us play Keller or Jasper drums?

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im just being a wise guy here. This drum industry is full of oddities and things that are a play on words. Good thing is we have so many options available to enable us to achieve those magical sounds we hear in our head. Drummers are creative people and make the best of any situation. Its a good club to belong to.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, a lot of us play Keller or Jasper drums?
Well, I always assume a reply like that is baiting me for an argument, of which I will not take part in. The OP asked a question and I gave what I clearly stated was my persional opnion, complete with additional explanation less I offend someone. But yes, unless the drum shell was a proprietary design for that specific company then yes, to me it's a Keller or Jasper set.

Or more appropriately, a such and such set featuring Keller shells. They make GREAT drum shells, so I see nothing wrong in stating the body of the kit being the company that made it. When Grestch or INDe have them make special order custom shells based on thier own unique design, then it's a Grestch or INDe set of drums. If I buy an off the shelf shell and finish it out, I badge it Wilson Customs but proudly say based on a Keller or Nordic, or whoever shell.

I don't see it as a bad thing, it's just a thing. And again, nothing but my persional opnion at that. Everyone in the whole world is free to disagree with it. I'm married so Im used to someone not agreeing with my ideas!!!