Barkeepers Friend on chrome

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those of you that have never tried Barkeepers Friend on chrome, I highly recommend it. Normally I would use Mothers, but these were so bad and Barkeepers works so well on cymbals, I thought I would give it a shot. As you can see by the pics, the results were no less than amazing. By the way, the completed hoop was in much worse condition when I started than the unfinished one you see in the pics. To be honest, I really didn't think I was going to be able to save these. :occasion5:

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you make a paste first? What did you use to apply it to the rims?

Great results!

I used the liquid cleaner, although I think they have it in powder as well. What ever works best for you. I just poured a small amount into the channel and scrubbed away with a shop towel, working my way around the hoop, then adding more when needed. These were so bad I had to go over them a couple times.

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW
i need some of that!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
great job on that. where can you buy that product?

mike

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thanks brian. i havent seen it around here anywhere. i guess i could buy it on ebay like everything else that i cant find locally.

mike

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
never heard of a Menard's?
the hardware stores here do not seem to have it.
i will check at a lows next time i get to town.
i did find it on ebay.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just a little disclosure here. I want to point out there was some hazing to the chrome when finished. Not alot, but some. It could have been because of the extreme amount of rust and the work it took to get it off. This tells me there is some sort of abrasive in it that could put a bit of a haze on perfectly good chrome. With that said, it probably wouldn't be appropriate or even necessary for normal polishing of chrome in good condition.

mike

My wife gets it for me at the local Wegmans Grocery store.

marveltone

Reaction score

mike
Mike,

The Home Depot carries BarKeeper's Friend in both a paste and liquid. It's on the cleaning aisle with other cleaning products like Simple Green. It's very reasonably priced too. Hope this helps!

Ken

tmc333

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

mike
Mike,

The Home Depot carries BarKeeper's Friend in both a paste and liquid. It's on the cleaning aisle with other cleaning products like Simple Green. It's very reasonably priced too. Hope this helps!

Ken
Add ACE Hardware to that list of stores that carry it.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
never heard of a Menard's?
the hardware stores here do not seem to have it.
i will check at a lows next time i get to town.
i did find it on ebay.
They are new to our area and for a big store they are fast at the check out. Prices are very competitive...so far.
http://www.menards.com/main/storeLocator.html

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just a little disclosure here. I want to point out there was some hazing to the chrome when finished. Not alot, but some.

mike

I'm glad you put the disclaimer in there... BKF does have an abrasive and will scratch chrome. It's made for cleaning stainless steel, porcelain, glass cooktops, and the like. Again... it will abrade chrome.

So yeah, if that thing that needs to be cleaned is a total rusted mess, like the hoops in the this thread, use BKF with gusto. The Coke/aluminum foil trick is a nice option for a lot of rust as well.
If you just want to put the shine on an already nice chrome part... use Semi-Chrome, Maas or some other non-abrasive polish.

Another thing to keep in mind... if the chrome plating is not a great job, BKF will cause the plating to start to flake off, so don't use it on a Supra that's flaking... or you'll end up with an Acro. :lol:

One last warning... it'll dry your hands to alligator hide if you don't wear gloves. :shock:

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I saw it in Albertson's the other day. I have stainless steel hoops on my Pearl Masters so I will give it a try on those.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I will have to try that stuff. Impressive results for sure.

Up until now I have used the blue Brillo pads on parts that were in rough shape - doesn't seem to haze them up too much either.

On good parts I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. With enough rubbing, it even removes rust...

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
I also use Bar Keepers on cymbals, but use oxalic acid (found in wood bleach and some deck cleaners) for stuff like that. These Fibes rods were in comparable shape to those rims before I soaked them in a mixture of wood bleach/water and rinsed. Used chrome polish to protect afterwards.

I used this last time I did this

http://www.amazon.com/Valspar-Cabot-140-0008003-007-Problem-Solver-Brightener/dp/B000RMPJJS

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=4004702

HerronScott

Reaction score
Did you use the Cabot product straight or dilute it? If you diluted it what was the ratio?

Thanks!

Scott