Barney Miller Theme Song

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Was just watching Barney Miller. Such a great show!

Also love the theme song. Just an absolute killer bass line and the drumming is perfect.

Does anyone know who the drummer was? I couldn't find any info.

Thanks

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From this link - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ayed-on-the-barney-miller-theme-song.1891887/ - I found this...

Allyn Ferguson, composer. Dan Ferguson (guitar), Allyn Ferguson (electric piano), Chuck Berghofer (bass), Paul Humphrey (drums) and Chuck Findley (trumpet).

Berghofer on bass I saw confirmed multiple places. To my ears, none of these names are surprising.
Thanks!

I could find information about the origins of the bass line and playing but couldn't find all of the musicians.

I'll look up Paul Humphrey.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is a compilation of some different takes of the song.

All time great show and theme song. The version that starts at 2:27 is the one I recognize from the original run and the best version IMO. It has the best bass and guitar parts, and I particularly love the drum fill in the 5th bar of the double time section that starts on 2. Very funky!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can still recall first hearing the Barney Groove. It had never occurred to me to play hi hats like that. Just a great feel to that song.

P.H., what a player with depth. With palmares ranging from Frank Zappa to Lawrence Welk, this thread needs visuals on the man:

AEA7176F-3491-4A4E-ADC7-5867097D1ABF.png

0D9D9F01-827C-4CBD-895E-24661519B64F.png

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My all-time favorite sitcom! I watch the reruns every night. Every episode had new characters to deal with. I remember when the show first aired, and had never heard an opening theme like it! Thanks for the rundown of all the musicians who played it.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From this link - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ayed-on-the-barney-miller-theme-song.1891887/ - I found this...

Allyn Ferguson, composer. Dan Ferguson (guitar), Allyn Ferguson (electric piano), Chuck Berghofer (bass), Paul Humphrey (drums) and Chuck Findley (trumpet).

Berghofer on bass I saw confirmed multiple places. To my ears, none of these names are surprising.

If I'm not mistaken, Chuck Findley also toured with Johnny Rivers' band (along with Jim Gordon). Now, that was one helluva road band.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's Sol Gubin on the original 1974 version of the TV theme. Paul Humphrey was on the second (1976) version, which was the longest used and most popular version. The 2nd version also had Jim Hughart playing the bass. Chuck Berghofer said that his inspiration for the bass part came from listening to James Taylor's "Rock and Roll is Music Now" while he was driving in to the studio. You can certainly hear the similarities.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pencils down everyone and listen to Paul on Jimmy Smith's Root Down - Great opening fill and groove (and bass line).

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Played this in high school jazz band and I remember being thrown by that judicious sock to the bass drum/cymbal on beat 3 (by one man's counting) during the double time bit. But that's definitely the coolest bomb drop ever, and I always listen for the version of the theme which incorporates it.

Great track, and it won't be long now before folks start nudging in their Bob Newhart season ones, or their Police Squads In Color. (the Barney Miller freeze-frame-chuckles called that to mind, for those who get that...)

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was coming thru Jr High/Sr. High this was one of the charts at least someone would play at a competition.