Barton Drum Co?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
My buddy just took a gold sparkle maple on the road with Zach Williams. He really digs it so far. They seem to be good quality and sound good.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Their factory is an hour from me. Need to make a trip there and check it out. I’m afraid I’ll have to wait till I have money on hand, because I’m sure I’ll leave with something!!

Ptrick

Reaction score
Sorry, not their factory, but their office in the US in Chico, CA.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember seeing these somewhere. Maybe somebody else posted information on another thread. They look nice. They have a regular website too:
https://bartondrums.com/

By the way, anybody know where to find a list of all current drum manufacturers?
I'd love to have a current list and go thru it all.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’ve been intrigued by this company, and my interest led me to find them similar to George Way. Tempting atypical wood options with a vintage vibe, Asian shell manufacturing, and a seeming aversion to strong customer service and customization.

Would love to hear more from them though (sound demos and general info). It’s not every company that makes beech affordable.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 12,14,20 Orange Sparkle maple kit with matching snare that I've been pleased with since last Xmas.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would be intrigued by one of the beech shell kits, but otherwise, I personally don’t really see a whole lot that clearly sets Barton apart from many of the other companies around right now. And I don’t mean that as a slight in any way — we just live in a time when we’re spoiled with an overabundance of VERY good options when it comes to drums in almost any price range, and that’s not even factoring in the used market.

Anyway, that said, I hope Barton does do well. They seem like good-quality kits, and as a consumer in this equation, there’s nothing wrong with having one more option to choose from!

Last edited:

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They have/had a birch kit 22,13 and 16 in 5 different wraps that looked great for $599 shipped to your door.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it typical to come to market in the USA as an American company with a drum guy who's the founder, selling drums and right off the bat build them in Asia? It's a serious question I'm asking.
Because usually it's some guy who loves drums and want's to build a better kit and starts the company and then builds them here and eventually they build some stuff overseas when they get popular or when they decide to sell a lower priced product line. Is everything they make Asian made?
I'm not saying it's a bad idea. If you can get top quality from day 1 with everything made there and charge a good price (which I see they do), that's fine and they make money as a company.
It's just a different philosophy than what you typically see. Maybe Barton is on to something using this business model for drums.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I would own a Barton kit in a heartbeat. In fact, some of his recent deals on FB have been hard to pass on! I was able to spend the better part of an hour with him while he was putting heads on some kits. Even went through his phone as he showed me pics of the manufacturing plant. In a nutshell / Reader's Digest second hand version of the story, he and a partner acquired this factory. He had been buying shells from this place and thought that he and his partner could make them better and cheaper. So they started making shells to be branded by other companies until they came upon the idea to create their own line, cutting out the middleman and selling direct. He explained to me how they source their wood from the same places as the major companies. He showed me that the difference in cost between wood types is fairly minor when talking about the amount of wood to make a single kit. The vast differences we see between DRUM COMPANY A's Birch vs. their Maple is the result of marketing more than true cost recovery. Some woods are indeed more expensive and some are more difficult to work with, so there may be less usable plies in a purchase, and these issues are reflected in the retail pricing. You won't see a lot in the way of custom sizing or finishes. Their finish options are ever changing as to what's available at the warehouse, but you will see everything from durable PVC wraps to hand lacquered sparkle finishes, to wood stains, to... The pricing for new is where they shine, but only based on what I believe is a quality product. If they were crap, then the pricing wouldn't be a factor to me.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw their drums a few years ago at the Vintage and Custom Drum Show in Glendale. Great looking drums with wonderful craftsmanship! They make their own shells!

-Mark

fishdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would own a Barton kit in a heartbeat. In fact, some of his recent deals on FB have been hard to pass on! I was able to spend the better part of an hour with him while he was putting heads on some kits. Even went through his phone as he showed me pics of the manufacturing plant. In a nutshell / Reader's Digest second hand version of the story, he and a partner acquired this factory. He had been buying shells from this place and thought that he and his partner could make them better and cheaper. So they started making shells to be branded by other companies until they came upon the idea to create their own line, cutting out the middleman and selling direct. He explained to me how they source their wood from the same places as the major companies. He showed me that the difference in cost between wood types is fairly minor when talking about the amount of wood to make a single kit. The vast differences we see between DRUM COMPANY A's Birch vs. their Maple is the result of marketing more than true cost recovery. Some woods are indeed more expensive and some are more difficult to work with, so there may be less usable plies in a purchase, and these issues are reflected in the retail pricing. You won't see a lot in the way of custom sizing or finishes. Their finish options are ever changing as to what's available at the warehouse, but you will see everything from durable PVC wraps to hand lacquered sparkle finishes, to wood stains, to... The pricing for new is where they shine, but only based on what I believe is a quality product. If they were crap, then the pricing wouldn't be a factor to me.
Your insight here is invaluable to understand the drum they offer. I am curious where they get their wood and who else they made shells for. If I'm not incorrect many US drum companies use Keller shells. So mass produced shells is really what we see today ... it then comes down edge cutting and hardware (and the look of course).
In the end few manufacturers offer homemade shells from scratch. I have Eames shells that were made by Joe Mac...that to me was worth every penny. I mostly play vintage kits because again the shells (that would include birch v maple) are different as they related to the kits. Thanks for sharing.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My LDS (local drum shop) is big on Barton. I didn’t realize they made their shells but I’ve been corrected.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am digging the duco finishes they have posted on FB. I would like to try out the mahogany & beech kits.

drumjinxjr

Reaction score
My LDS (local drum shop) is big on Barton. I didn’t realize they made their shells but I’ve been corrected.
To my understanding, they make their own shells at a factory in China.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
I like the idea, but have these been road tested sufficiently? I’d like to know how well they hold up in an extended gigging / touring scenario.

We need a Consumer Reports-style study, I feel.

Full disclosure, I’m an old Yamaha Maple Custom guy (pre-Absolutes and Absolutes). And I have a Spaun kit. And maybe some Ayotte odds and ends. I like quality even if customer service bites. Ahem Ayotte, ahem.

Last edited:

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
These beech drums have my attention. I'd pretty much quit looking for something to play with the big band jazz group I play with. Doing stuff with my Camaro SS has sucked up some of my funds.... I was looking for something different than say the Gretsch Catalina Classics. The beech sound might just be perfect for this band.