Barton Drums

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a new name, for me anyway, but was curious if anyone knows them?.I,d do a search, but every time I pull up old posts I get a security alert and risk a virus. Their gear seems well made but the vibe I pick up is they don't say much except they are driven to be "the best"...aren,t we all,

Maybe one of you can shed a little light?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My local drum shop sells them as the owner is located in California in the central valley. I think the owner is a doctor or something but I may not have that right. A friend bought a kit. Seems OK.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend is an endorser. They sound good, and they seem well made.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe Chicago Drum Exchange deals with them. They look nice in the photos that I've seen (haven't been to the shop since last year). I can't get past the blatant rip off of the Beverly badge, and I've heard stories of people getting blocked from their Facebook page for bringing up the issue.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
They will be one of the companies at the So Cal Drum Show on April 22, so I will get a look then. I think my local has a used set on the floor, but by local, I mean he's still a good 45 minutes away from me so I don't get there too often.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First impressions are lasting, so by not getting back to me in a reasonable amount of time is the first thing I don't like. The badge is a knock off, but a few guys have been doing that for years around here, but I don't like that its origin is absent from the badge.; USA, Taiwan, Mexico, Indonesia, etc...but they do claim to make their own shells, which is great, in Asia.
Pricing is excellent for a 4 pc in Canada @ 1400.00, and they look fantastic, and well made.. I'm sure they will sound just as good, and when he said they offer beech from Europe, I had to know more...and that's what I'm waiting to find out about. I trust that's not a reflection of their service?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Same here.
Interested in the beech as well.
Todd is out of Chico,as I understand it.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only place I've seen them is Chicago Drum Exchange (online), so hopefully someone from that account can give us the scoop.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird this post shows up today as I've been researching them for the past hour. Curious to hear more.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of reviews on YouTube. They sound pretty good.

pezman718

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
clowndog said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
Correct. They own the factory that makes the shells, which is located in Asia.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shipping the shells back to America must cost them a bit, but obviously cheaper than making them in the USA.
Unless they make product for several other "builders" that make the same claim?
I cant see it being cost efficient if they didn,t..Asian shell making is so much bigger than we know. I,ve talked to high end
operations who tell me "you cant believe it"

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I purchase raw shells from Barton. Beech actually. I have not finished the build but I can offer a few points

The shells are very well made. U may find a scuff or 2 that will need attention. I was unhappy with these few flaws and called him. He made the situation right very quicklyI have the beach shells and Ive done them in a clear finish with no stain. Outer around overs to inner 45s on all the times and bass drums
Unfortunately funds have not permitted me to purchase all the remaining hardware and finish the kit yet. But I cansay that the shells are indeed very high-quality and he does back up any problems she would find with them

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Reaction score
From our experience the drums have been fantastic, hence why we carry them. The drums sound incredible too. We really feel that for the money, there isn't a better kit out there. Sitting behind the kit you really feel like you're playing a much more high end kit. The shells are made overseas which helps reduce the cost, but everything else is done in California. - Diego

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK...Since..you deliver to Ontario Canada, what would you charge me for a beech kit, whatever their pre config happens to be?

thx

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
pezman718 said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
Correct. They own the factory that makes the shells, which is located in Asia.
So here is a point where my age and generational upbringing is dulling my comprehension. I was raised in the 60's and 70's where China was still the "Red Communist". I understand that in today's global world market that is not as black and white as it once appeared, Yet my working understanding is the only person to owns anything in the country is the "people" which correctly translates into the "government". I work in an industry where we import and sell quite a bit of Chinese produced plywood and wood products, and if I understand our head of imports correctly, you can't actually "own" a plant in China.

You can partner with a plant (that is still technically government owned and maybe leased to an approved Chinese businessman) and you can invest into that plant with your dollars and machinery (though it becomes the sole property of the government once you do). You can even have your employees on site for engineering and QC oversight, but the product will be produced by the Chinese workers exclusively, primarily receiving their pay from the government, not the facility. So I always question how drum companies, regardless of where they are based, can "own" a plant in China. This is not a slam on Barton, but a genuine question for all, including Yamaha, Tama and all the others.

I wonder if some segments of manufacturing are not as heavily governed as others? Maybe musical instruments are handled differently, but again, in a communist nation, why would it be? I would love to hear any insight or perspective should some of our members have direct knowledge of how this would work. It's something that I think of from time to time and would be interested in learning more.

Latest posts