Barton Drums

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I don't know where Barton shells are made, but I do know there is a huge distinction between Taiwan and mainland China. Barton's website simply says the shells are manufactured in their shop in Asia.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
Correct. They own the factory that makes the shells, which is located in Asia.
So here is a point where my age and generational upbringing is dulling my comprehension. I was raised in the 60's and 70's where China was still the "Red Communist". I understand that in today's global world market that is not as black and white as it once appeared, Yet my working understanding is the only person to owns anything in the country is the "people" which correctly translates into the "government". I work in an industry where we import and sell quite a bit of Chinese produced plywood and wood products, and if I understand our head of imports correctly, you can't actually "own" a plant in China.

You can partner with a plant (that is still technically government owned and maybe leased to an approved Chinese businessman) and you can invest into that plant with your dollars and machinery (though it becomes the sole property of the government once you do). You can even have your employees on site for engineering and QC oversight, but the product will be produced by the Chinese workers exclusively, primarily receiving their pay from the government, not the facility. So I always question how drum companies, regardless of where they are based, can "own" a plant in China. This is not a slam on Barton, but a genuine question for all, including Yamaha, Tama and all the others.

I wonder if some segments of manufacturing are not as heavily governed as others? Maybe musical instruments are handled differently, but again, in a communist nation, why would it be? I would love to hear any insight or perspective should some of our members have direct knowledge of how this would work. It's something that I think of from time to time and would be interested in learning more.

I don't know how it all works over there in China, but on Barton's facebook page they have photos of their factory. Its more of a warehouse/shop than some sort of large manufacturing facility.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bartondrumco/photos/?ref=page_internal

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Reaction score
Correction: we got a move defined answer on what they do here in the states vs what is done overseas!

The drum shells are made in china along with the finishing, drilling, edging.

The assembly is done here as confirmed by Barton drums.

Hope this helps clears some things up!

xsabers

Reaction score
Tommy D said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
So here is a point where my age and generational upbringing is dulling my comprehension. I was raised in the 60's and 70's where China was still the "Red Communist". I understand that in today's global world market that is not as black and white as it once appeared, Yet my working understanding is the only person to owns anything in the country is the "people" which correctly translates into the "government". I work in an industry where we import and sell quite a bit of Chinese produced plywood and wood products, and if I understand our head of imports correctly, you can't actually "own" a plant in China.

You can partner with a plant (that is still technically government owned and maybe leased to an approved Chinese businessman) and you can invest into that plant with your dollars and machinery (though it becomes the sole property of the government once you do). You can even have your employees on site for engineering and QC oversight, but the product will be produced by the Chinese workers exclusively, primarily receiving their pay from the government, not the facility. So I always question how drum companies, regardless of where they are based, can "own" a plant in China. This is not a slam on Barton, but a genuine question for all, including Yamaha, Tama and all the others.

I wonder if some segments of manufacturing are not as heavily governed as others? Maybe musical instruments are handled differently, but again, in a communist nation, why would it be? I would love to hear any insight or perspective should some of our members have direct knowledge of how this would work. It's something that I think of from time to time and would be interested in learning more.

I don't know how it all works over there in China, but on Barton's facebook page they have photos of their factory. Its more of a warehouse/shop than some sort of large manufacturing facility.

That's a picture of their US facility.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like a big place for one custom builder. I wonder if they share space, and rent with a few others?.There are a lot of skids back there.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
xsabers said:

So that US facility has shell molds in it to make shells here in the US?

Note the green floor and grey concrete wall in the background:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1676994879282239/?type=3&theater

Same green floor, Grey concrete and shell mold machines:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1727960547519005/?type=3&theater

Same green floor, same grey concrete walls:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1751060838542309/?type=3&theater

Green floor, Grey concrete walls.
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1727960287519031/?type=3&theater

Honestly, I don't care where they are made. I already purchased 2 sets of Beech shells from Barton almost a year ago and they are nice shells. I just don't want people spreading false information. If you have information opposing what I'm showing, please disprove what I am showing. Truly, I don't care where the shells are made, or of they are fully assembled in China. I have owned USA made drums and none of them have wowed me with their higher level of craftsmanship or quality.

nk126

Reaction score
I saw a few kits at a local shop here in the Bay Area. Was super impressed by the one I tried out. Had never heard of the brand, thought it was a $2k set. Nope: $900. Beech. Really nice looking in person and sounded great.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't feel anyone is talking them down at all, just wondering where they we're made. The fact that it's China sparked my question on how that works for U.S. drum companies. If someone was 100% dead set against China, thier options are going to be reduced dramatically!

But based on what Barton told Chicago Drum Exchange, it's clear to me at least, the photos must be the facility in China. Even the look of the facility is uniform to plants we use for our products.

But no bashing here, just thinking out loud.

xsabers

Reaction score
Tommy D said:

So that US facility has shell molds in it to make shells here in the US?

Note the green floor and grey concrete wall in the background:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1676994879282239/?type=3&theater

Same green floor, Grey concrete and shell mold machines:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1727960547519005/?type=3&theater

Same green floor, same grey concrete walls:
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1751060838542309/?type=3&theater

Green floor, Grey concrete walls.
https://www.facebook.com/bartondrumco/photos/a.1619505338364527.1073741829.1555860704728991/1727960287519031/?type=3&theater

Honestly, I don't care where they are made. I already purchased 2 sets of Beech shells from Barton almost a year ago and they are nice shells. I just don't want people spreading false information. If you have information opposing what I'm showing, please disprove what I am showing. Truly, I don't care where the shells are made, or of they are fully assembled in China. I have owned USA made drums and none of them have wowed me with their higher level of craftsmanship or quality.

Well, if you dig through dozen of pictures buried on their site, you will find pics of their Asian factory, and at least some of these are clearly marked as such, but the main pic and most of the pics on the site are US pics.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, not worth that much interest to me. Just saying it looks like what we deal with our self, but obviously I would have no idea personally as I know nothing about Barton... other than I like the sound on the you tube videos and I dig there lug design.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Somebody got himself a gold sparkle four piece set...

;)

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so tempted to give these beech shells a go, I mean, at 1/2 the price of a Sonor kit, whats not to like? Lets see;
Maybe the wood is "second" quality, unlike Sonors #1 quality?...Maybe the hardware is cheap white metal that breaks and bends easily..unlike Sonors; maybe the hoops are so light you cant seat the heads...unlike Sonors.....But they look so inviting..just like Sonors....Maybe they are a great bang for the buck?...To good to be true?..Its all about expectations I suppose. If something wasn,t quite right, I can always say what do expect for the money I paid??...hmmmm.

xsabers

Reaction score
jaymandude said:
I don't mine the knock off badge, but " World Class Drums" ? Huh ?
Why not? If they are made with high quality parts to exacting standards, then they should be considered in the same class as their name brand counterparts. I've never seen one in person so I can't pass judgement.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
xsabers said:
I don't mine the knock off badge, but " World Class Drums" ? Huh ?
Why not? If they are made with high quality parts to exacting standards, then they should be considered in the same class as their name brand counterparts. I've never seen one in person so I can't pass judgement.
yeah, I know. it just seems a little.... something... Like when I say something funny and say to my girlfriend" Ha, that was funny" and she says " Honey, you;re not supposed to say that, other people are supposed to say that"

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like that they're the new kid on the block and maybe a little cocky (or proud). I think they know they have a good product and might be making companies that charge 4k for standard kits to sweat- if even a little.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IT will be interesting to see how many other builders are using their shells and hardware. There are a few similarities. Copying the Beverly logo is odd considering they have a great reputation already. Something unique to them would have made more sense.

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
pezman718 said:
Actually they do not own the factory or have any financial interests in it.

Todd (the owner) confirmed this last year when the question kept popping up.

That being said he is doing his own design work and has a partner in Asia that seams to be providing a quality product for the money they are asking for it based on the players and dealers who have had direct contact with the product.