Barton Drums

pezman718

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vanhalen1984 said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
Correct. They own the factory that makes the shells, which is located in Asia.
Actually they do not own the factory or have any financial interests in it.

Todd (the owner) confirmed this last year when the question kept popping up.

That being said he is doing his own design work and has a partner in Asia that seams to be providing a quality product for the money they are asking for it based on the players and dealers who have had direct contact with the product.

I wasn't aware of Todd saying otherwise, but he should probably update the website if they don't own the factory.
I wasn't trying to spread false information. Taken straight from bartondrums.com FAQ page:
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 4.55.42 PM.png

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
pezman718 said:
They make their own shells in Asia? That is not saying anything unless they own the factory. Unless I'm not reading that right?
Correct. They own the factory that makes the shells, which is located in Asia.
Actually they do not own the factory or have any financial interests in it.

Todd (the owner) confirmed this last year when the question kept popping up.

That being said he is doing his own design work and has a partner in Asia that seams to be providing a quality product for the money they are asking for it based on the players and dealers who have had direct contact with the product.

I wasn't aware of Todd saying otherwise, but he should probably update the website if they don't own the factory.
I wasn't trying to spread false information. Taken straight from bartondrums.com FAQ page:
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 4.55.42 PM.png

Yes looking at the website they should have more clarity in their information to avoid the confusion. A few simple steps of online research will show you where just about anything comes from and if you are in the right business (moving freight) you can get a significant amount of detail.

Again, with all that being said if the product sounds great and you enjoy playing it at the end of the day I personally do not care where it is built.

Attachments

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If accurate, then claiming to make their own shells is misleading.

If I need a affordable great sounding kit, I would consider the Inde at the top of my list.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think its kind of lame that all they do basically is put the parts on and possibly wrap the drums...but that seems unlikely if edges are being done in China. I mean most Keller assemblers at least cut their own edges and stuff. They are essentially a middle man between the consumer and this Chinese company in a way

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And besides, all I can think about with these guys is Barton Fink

Last edited by a moderator:

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:
I think its kind of lame that all they do basically is put the parts on and possibly wrap the drums...but that seems unlikely if edges are being done in China. I mean most Keller assemblers at least cut their own edges and stuff. They are essentially a middle man between the consumer and this Chinese company in a way
Oversimplified take, IMO. If they have a contractor who is making their shells to their specs using premium woods, why would that be any different than direct employees performing the same tasks?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Oversimplified take, IMO. If they have a contractor who is making their shells to their specs using premium woods, why would that be any different than direct employees performing the same tasks?
I totally get the point you are making...but i was just saying I was thinking they did more in house... in reality they are really just sourcing a complete product and putting generic parts on it and a badge. Doesnt make them any less of great drums...but I must admit I am attracted to builders and companies I know are more involved in the process a bit more.

mpthomson

Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:
I totally get the point you are making...but i was just saying I was thinking they did more in house... in reality they are really just sourcing a complete product and putting generic parts on it and a badge. Doesnt make them any less of great drums...but I must admit I am attracted to builders and companies I know are more involved in the process a bit more.

If the shells are designed and built to Barton's specs, as appears to be the case, and they have some QC input into and oversight of the process then I'm not really sure how much more involved you'd want them to be. I'm not sure who physically lays hands on the drums to make them really matters if the rest is controlled properly.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
mpthomson said:

If the shells are designed and built to Barton's specs, as appears to be the case, and they have some QC input into and oversight of the process then I'm not really sure how much more involved you'd want them to be. I'm not sure who physically lays hands on the drums to make them really matters if the rest is controlled properly.

You are missing the point. Thats ok. I am attracted to companies like c&c and craviotto where I know bill and his team are laying up plies and fully controlling their product...or David and his team are steam bending wood and turning. I play Oriollo and i love that Vukan is actively developing the design concepts, working with the metal spinners, doing all the crazy finishes on his drums....etc.

Anyone can partner with a supplier and call them an employee. If you like Barton thats fine. Im sure they are great drums, but I have no interest in them.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...I agree with JCK here. For many years now, there have been many garage assemblers touting themselves as "builders", and that's wrong, just wrong.
There is nothing wrong with what they do, but pretending to be what they aren,t has always annoyed me, especially when they defend the fact that it takes skill to screw those parts on. Hands on guys are builders that have control over the process, and the garage/basement guys don't. How is this so difficult for some to understand?
Barton Drums appear to be a fantastic value, and I'm sure they will be selling a skid or 2 of drums!...and I applaud them for great marketing.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, not to derail, but why must u make ur own shells to be a drum builder? A shell is just another part of a drum. I make drums. Not shells, or hoops or really anything for that matter. But tell me how long I takes to learn how to take a raw shell, put a decent finish on it. Spec the parts with a certain type of tone or sound in mind, layout all the holes, pre drill then ream to size, cut the correct style of edges for the sound ur looking for. Get it all together and make no mistakes, and end up with a drum that meets the expectations. Then do this on an entire matching set? This takes a lot of patience, skill and$$$$$$.

I have never done it but I think putting ply and glue in a press sounds a lot easier.

Barton drums, they are functioning like almost every other global product maker does. They spec the shells, run QC, manage import and export, They source labor at low cost and control the quality as best they can. They sell shells and drums.

Typical modern business model and to me there is nothing wrong with it.

mesazoo

Reaction score
anthony marquart said:
Ok, not to derail, but why must u make ur own shells to be a drum builder? A shell is just another part of a drum. I make drums. Not shells, or hoops or really anything for that matter. But tell me how long I takes to learn how to take a raw shell, put a decent finish on it. Spec the parts with a certain type of tone or sound in mind, layout all the holes, pre drill then ream to size, cut the correct style of edges for the sound ur looking for. Get it all together and make no mistakes, and end up with a drum that meets the expectations. Then do this on an entire matching set? This takes a lot of patience, skill and$$$$$$.

I have never done it but I think putting ply and glue in a press sounds a lot easier.

Barton drums, they are functioning like almost every other global product maker does. They spec the shells, run QC, manage import and export, They source labor at low cost and control the quality as best they can. They sell shells and drums.

You don't but why claim that you do? Copied Rogers lugs, copied Premier logo, factory claims just put a little shade on the company.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get that with the Barton drums. Personally I dont care for the look of them. If it were me I would make my own look. Now Indie drums. Oh to die for. Wish so bad they would sell me some of those lugs.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So what I take from this is that a designated factory makes everything; they requested Beech (which now makes it their own shell); they ship all finished parts back to CA and screw everything together.

Not a big deal, but claiming/eluding to have your own factory to appear unique seems to be the pain point which I agree with.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
anthony marquart said:

I dont think anyone is saying a finisher cant be called a builder. If my understanding is correct what Barton is doing is sourcing complete drums..so they dont do any of the stuff you are Listing either...simply just attaching hardware and sending to the customer...so its not the same as what you are describing.

That may float some peoples boat and Im sure the drums sound fine. Just not really something I would want to buy.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:

I dont think anyone is saying a finisher cant be called a builder. If my understanding is correct what Barton is doing is sourcing complete drums..so they dont do any of the stuff you are Listing either...simply just attaching hardware and sending to the customer...so its not the same as what you are describing.

That may float some peoples boat and Im sure the drums sound fine. Just not really something I would want to buy.
When Oriollo can sell me a 5-piece kit for $1000, let me know would ya?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
xsabers said:

When Oriollo can sell me a 5-piece kit for $1000, let me know would ya?Not an apples to apples comparison... but i get what you are saying... Nobody is hating on Barton tho. Ive heard their beech shells sound very nice. And if what they have going is working for them more power to them. Out of the $1000 kits on the markets these certainly look nice.

I just dont see what the big deal is calling it for what is...they have a supplier/partner that supplies complete drums and they put the hardware on it and sell them for a very reasonable price...nothing wrong with that...but I dont put them in the category of some of these other very hands on product companies that directly build their drums...and I dont find myself wanting to go out and buy a Barton kit. Thats just me. Everyone doesnt have to share my opinion.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont think Barton even puts the hardware on over here.

Looks to me like complete drums arrive from China.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And why not, as stated all this is about clarification, nothing more. No one is hitting low, yet, and I think we,ve covered this nicely. Barton is another player out there trying to survive like the rest, and they have priced themselves accordingly for what you get from them.
A few others that do the same thing unfortunately feel they need to baffle brains with BS, and end up coming off as amatuers...These are the outfits that are dying off, thankfully.
I have respect for Barton because they picked the target and went after it. I think they will do extremely well in time. If they can survive a full year on their own, they can be on their way They need to focus on themselves and not be influenced by the floaters who are looking to latch onto a host and go for a free ride.

Barton...I wish you would chime in and tell us about your wood selection and where you prefer to buy it?

Mods...good time I think to put this to rest. Good points made, but we,re going in circles.

Latest posts