Basic Ludwig hardware question

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the correct names are for this type of bass drum mount, tom holder, and leg bracket.

Mount1 - Copy.jpg
Also - would those give any indication of what year or time frame the drums are from?

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tom holder with the red sticker looks like a Ludwig Rocker LR255STH single tom holder with the 9.5 mm L arm tom holder; I can't tell you the time frame of the drums, sorry....

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. I've only had a few Ludwig sets and their configurations and terms for things are a bit confusing for me.
They're Classic Maples, but some of the parts are called Rocker, I guess.
The tom and leg clamps are like clamshells. They swing open sideways in half.
I've seen them before, but don't know what they're called.

The tom holder with the red sticker looks like a Ludwig Rocker LR255STH single tom holder with the 9.5 mm L arm tom holder; I can't tell you the time frame of the drums, sorry....
The shaft that holds the tom and the floor tom legs are 10.5 mm. I found what they're called in a catalog, but forget what it was now.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The mount on the tom is called "Elite" and is 10.5 mm. The bass drum mount uses a 1" downtube. The tom holder I believe they call the rocker single arm and generally comes with a 9.5 mm ball lrod but is easily replaced with a 10.5.

feelyat

Reaction score
Other than the sticker and wingnut, the holder is identical to the Gibraltar SC-SP post:

https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-sp/

I used the Gibraltar edition of that holder with my (older) Ludwig drums for years. With a 10.5mm ball, it works on the Elite tom mount, and with a 9.5mm ball, it works on the classic one.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the correct names are for this type of bass drum mount, tom holder, and leg bracket.

View attachment 462868 Also - would those give any indication of what year or time frame the drums are from?
That's a Ludwig Single Tom Holder. It's also distributed by Gibraltar. If you opt for the 10.5mm L-arm, it will be a direct fit.
The bracket on the tom appears to be an old Ludwig Elite tom bracket.
My Ludwig kit uses those on the floor tom.

DSCN2096.JPG

Elite hardware was the snazzy new thing Ludwig was pushing when I ordered my kit in April of 1999.
That and the single tom holder would denote a Ludwig drum kit made during the 1990's and 2000's.

Elvis

Last edited:

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great - thanks for the info.
I just got a used Classic Maple 18/12/14 set, and didn't have a clue as to where to begin to learn a little about it.
It looks in good shape considering that it's possibly 20 years old (or more).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig was getting very good about date stamping the shell interiors on the Classic Maple series drums, when they were introduced in 1998.
Take a look inside and you should see an ink stamp that is a series of either numbers or numbers and letters...the letters may spell out words.
That will tell you how old those drums are.

Elvis
P.S. - My kit is 18/10/14/13x3. I found Remo Fiberskyn 3 heads work very nicely on the bass drum. Mine has an FA on the back and a Skyntone on the front.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I should have specified that the badge numbers are the only markings. I pulled them apart for a thorough going over and cleaning.
Standard procedure for me when I get a used set. No stickers, ink dates, or any type of markings on the insides of the shells.
Serial numbers on the bass drum and floor tom badges are the only indicators, none on the mounted tom.

I assumed the bass drum was an 18x14, and was a bit surprised when an 18x16 'power bass' showed up. Sounds great to me.
The listing just said 18/12/14.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting.
I think that's the first time I've ever heard of a Classic Maple shell that wasn't date stamped.
Not even the paper tag that I think they use now.
...weird.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's interesting.
I think that's the first time I've ever heard of a Classic Maple shell that wasn't date stamped.
Not even the paper tag that I think they use now.
...weird.
Yes - weird indeed. I had some doubts at first, but after considerable research, I'm convinced they're legit,
and they damn well better be for what I paid for them.
I could post a bunch of pics, but am not sure if I could get the whole 360 of the inside of each drum in one pic.

Most likely scenario I can think of would be either a Friday afternoon/Monday morning factory hurry up/recovering assembly,
or a patient, time consuming ordeal of finding matching orphans. If that was the case though, they're perfectly matched.
More likely, they just passed through with just the badge serials.
I don't know much about Ludwig's standard kits available in the past, but it seems like this was a custom order,
given the 18x16 power bass drum. Maybe it was a standard kit, readily available at some point?

Whatever the case, I'm very happy with them.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and that's the most important part.
Play'em, enjoy'em. After the love has gone, pass them onto a new love.

..That's the way - of the drum / plant your flower, and you grrrooooooww a...

1601842231142.png

... :-D (sorry, couldn't pass that one up :laughing5: )

Elvis