Basic Triggering Live For Idiots

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Hi All,

For the first time in a long time I'm looking at incorporating triggered sounds into my live set-up. Though I've done this before, it was always the sound tech or keyboard tech that set it up - this is my first time trying get it together myself.

We won't be using a bunch of sounds, or be using it on every song, so I was thinking something like the Roland SPD ONE WAV (the red one) might be an easy, all-in-one unit to get what I need? I think it has onboard sounds as well as the ability to import your own via wav. files - does that sound right? OR, would a separate sound module and trigger pad be better from your experience?

Cost is a factor, but not the only factor...Thank you in advance for any thoughts, ideas or considerations you can offer - I'm always amazed at the amount info I get from the DFO crew...

-Paul

electrodrummer

Reaction score
"cost is a factor"... so exactly what is your actual budget for this project?

If you want just trigger some of you own sounds, then yes, the SPD ONE is *an* option, personally I think it's over priced and limited.

I don't know your budget, but but for less you can get a more flexible TM-2 and as many pads/triggers as you need (up to 4, of course). (In the UK, a TM-2 can be picked up for £100, pads or triggers for £10-£15 each)

Give my the money and I can give you more options!

Whitten

Reaction score
Or TM-1 which is cheap in the UK. Two trigger ins, two sounds. Super easy to set up and use.
Yes, the TM-2 gives you more options and a few more features.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
or the small (4 pad) Alesis Sample Pad Pro...at some point you might want more than one sample in a song...or maybe you transition from one tune to another quickly and want that 2nd sample ready ...

Its amazing over the (long) course of my drumming how far electronics has changed.

jmato

Reaction score
I have an SPD-One which I use for claps and the occasional Simmons-style snare sound. It may not be best for you or perfect, but it does the trick I need it to do. And you can import too if not using the built-in sounds.

Latest posts