Bass Combo Amp recommendation

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bass combo amp under $100 for practicing and playing along with an acoustic guitar.

The Acoustic B15 and the Hartke HD 15 are both on my radar.

Anyone have experience with these? Other recommendations?

Thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I scored an Ampeg BA115 for $160 used from G.C. It's my go-to amp. 15", 100w, and plenty of power for anything. It was one of those parking lot sales and the guy said he played country/rock gigs in bars with no problems.

I was at first thinking the Fender 25w "Rumble" or whatever, but when I play bass guitar, sometimes I like to crank it up and feel the bass hitting me in the chest. The 15/25w amps don't do that. With this one, I don't think I've ever gone past 4 on the amp and it will knock you on your @$$.....it's worth the extra $$$$ IMO.....

Targalx

Reaction score
Yes. The BA115 is a great small amp, if you can find one in that price range. But for $100, you are quite limited to smaller and less powerful models. GK sometimes makes small yet decent models. Not sure if they are priced as low as $100, though. Best option is to go a local store and try them out in person, so you can get a feel for them.

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the BA210 from Ampeg. Great combo amp, but certainly a bit pricier than your budget. You will probably want to shop used with that price point. Before I got the Ampeg, I had a Peavey with a 15" that I picked up for about $80. Served me well.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out the Danelectro Nifty Seventy, some pretty good reviews, and they are cheap.

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Unlike drums, I'm 100% at the mercy of repair shops when it comes to electronics, so I really prefer not to
buy used.
I'm not looking for crazy volume here, just need to be heard in a living room setting, playing along with
an acoustic guitar and/or a piano. I've got a Peavey TNT and a Crate B160 for louder situations (when they feel
like working, lol). Looking for something small, LIGHT WEIGHT and relatively inexpensive, that doesn't distort the lower frequencies.
Both the models I mentioned, as well as the Hartke HD25, seemed to get a lot of good reviews from users.

Just curious as to your experiences with small sized amps (15/25 watt).

Plucky

Reaction score
If you're just looking to be heard over an acoustic guitar, you could go with the Fender Rumble (V3, not the old ones) 25 1x8. It's 25w with an 8" speaker, so you should have no problems going over an acoustic guitar. Piano will depend on what size it is and what the room acoustics are like. It's $99 brand spankin' new on Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-rumble-25-1x8-25w-bass-combo-amp)

I'd also recommend the Eden EC8 20w (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/eden-ec8-20w-1x8-solid-state-bass-combo-amp) and the Ampeg BA108V2 20W (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba108v2-1x8-bass-combo-amplifier) in that price range. Everything else I would personally steer clear of, especially the Acoustic as it's just Guitar Center's "store brand" amps.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
apcpa2000 said:
I have the BA210 from Ampeg. Great combo amp, but certainly a bit pricier than your budget. You will probably want to shop used with that price point. Before I got the Ampeg, I had a Peavey with a 15" that I picked up for about $80. Served me well.
I've got the same little Ampeg and it sounds killer. For the money, the BA series from Ampeg is a winner. I love the two 10" set up.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Rumble 25 by Fender is okay. Where I teach acoustic guitar (what???) to kids has one of these - it is okay and may work in an acoustic only small room.......should be easy to find on Clist and under $100......

When I bought my first guitar amp, a basic Fender Frontman 15, I figured that is plenty. After a month, it sounded like a glorified 70's am radio and I had to quickly upgrade to a "real" amp - that's why I suggested ponying up a little bit more now for a better sound later.....

Latest posts