Bass drum depth - 14 - 16

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've only owned and played 14" deep bass drums. I've fallen in love with a kit that has a 16" deep bass drum. It sounds great, but I haven't had a change to "play" it as it's in a store (I hit it with a BD beater). It's a very thin shelled drum if that makes a difference.

For those of you who've owned both, how much difference is there in feel? 16x24 versus 14x24?

Jeff

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sound wise, I don’t care. Had 14 to 18 deep basses. Been okay with them. *But* the extra depth makes a difference on stage space. So, I’m currently 20 x14”...

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
16x22s are a pretty good size. They aren't "squishy" in their reaction and I prefer them to 18x22s. I can't really say how they are vs a 14 because I've never played a 14". I will soon though, as my project kit has a 14x24 bass drum.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played 14" deep kicks for 20 years then switched to 16" deep drums for the the next 20. Now, with the exception of 20"X20" kick I had a while, all of my kicks are back to 14" deep models. I can say I feel a little difference but not enough to say one is better, I think for me it' just a preceived feel / tone combo though maybe it's just all in my head. But I would have no problem if I wound up with a 16" deep drum again.

gbow

Reaction score
Heads, head damping, pedal adjustment, beater choice, and what you put inside it will all make more difference in the sound and feel than the depth. I find that I can make any of the depths sound good and feel like I want them to feel.

If it's a kit you want, I wouldn't let the depth of the BD change your opinion one way or another.

gabo

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my experience, a 16x22 seems thicker or wider, like it has just a little more body or weight to the sound. I think it’s easier to get a 14x22 to sit in a variety of mixes, for example, you could use a 14x22 on a quiet songwriter or trad jazz gig. But I don’t know how well a 16x22 works in those settings. But for a modern pop or rock vibe I much prefer the deeper drum. It’s not that the 14 won’t work, but for me I like “attitude “ of the deeper drum. I’ve ownwd and played both for years, and when I ordered a new Gretsch kit last year I chose 16x22.

It’s not for everyone, especially on this forum. But I’m super into it. It eats my vintage Gretsch for lunch, if that’s what you’re looking for.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t feel too much difference. But for me, it always makes cymbal positioning a bit more tricky when not using a boom stand.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like most things...the "feel" between a 14 and 16 depth kick drum is WAY over rated. Anyone that has played for over a month should have the ability to play both...with ease.
Funny. That’s what the op asked :) and you’re right. Not much difference in feel.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I appreciate the experienced responses.

Jeff

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I prefer 14’s but 16’s are ok I guess. Just can’t do 18’s anymore.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score

ACTUALLY there is more than 2". The Volume (not sound level here, but it does affect sound Quality) is actually increased by 2 x pi x 12 (for a 24: drum) squared. or 2 X 3.147 x 144. In this case 904.32 CUBIC INCHES of resonance space inside the drum. This will have an effect on the tonal depth of the sound and bring out some more lows.

I had this same issue when I was looking at my Bass Drum size, but I was dealing with a 20". The extra 2" depth made a big difference in the lows I was able to get out of the drum.
I have sense had my 20" beside some other 22"s and my 20 sounded bigger and deeper that the 22.