Bass drum differences among brands

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With brand-new heads fitted, both bass drums matched virtually 100% on each kit
Only my Slingerland kit had both bass drums almost exactly the same, but even those were a bit different. Still, I was able to alternate them no problem. Not so with the Gretsch or Yamaha.

e.g.

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Recording series kit I purchased in 1984 10-12-14-16-22, 7x14 snare. I never could get the kick to sound as good as any of my other bass drums from other kits I own (2 DW, 60's Ludwig, 2 Craviotto), with or without a port. I ended up selling the kick, and making my own (15x22 maple Keller shell) I love the sound of this kick!

Attachments

contract73

Reaction score
I have not purchased a kick drum that is not 18" depth in over 20 years.....addicted.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think bass drums are the most important drum. Probably my favorite is the 18X26 Yamaha Rock Tour Custom of the early 90s. I fell in love with it the first time I played it with the ported stock skins. I was gonna buy the whole kit, but it had already been sold. I also loved the tonality of Recording Customs, but felt that the RC bass lacked the potential of the RTC bass on the stage. It gave me the strongest BOOM. I despise the THUD-sound. Had many a beef with the sound guys over the subject. I was in my sister's band and had the freedom on how my drums were tuned and such. So I bought the used Black RC in 8,10,12 14,16 &18 toms with 24 bass. Toured with it a few times. But that RTC bass kept calling me. So I went and ordered a new one in black and bought another used one. Had a Gretsch-style round-over edge put to the used one on the impact side only by my dad. The band loved the upgraded sound. Magical! Sold the RC bass and bought two more RTC 26 basses. Still have two in their unopened boxes. I used the port-less RTC with an Ebony on both sides as my gig bass exclusively regardless of drum brand. My Sonor birch also went beautifully with that RTC bass drum.