Bass drum dilemma ?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So , my band might be playing some smaller stages venues what have you .
I recently acquired a 12 and 14 Tom .
I was thinking I’d convert an 18” floor tom that I have already .
But I think I might be better off with a 20x10 bass drum . The music I play is
Bluesy Soulful a bit rock and some jazz ish stuff . We control volume as a band
very well . So I don’t need to worry about
being drowned out . I think the shallower bass drum will actually save more stage space . Oh a Djembe is totally and utterly out of the question , YUKK .
Thoughts ???

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing if you use the 18 instead of the 20 less than half the audience will walk out ;)

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I think the shallower bass drum will actually save more stage space
Maybe, maybe not. If your cymbal stands spread out further than the bass drum, you haven´t gained anything really. Also, any cymbal will need its space, regardless of the drum residing unterneath.
I use smaller bass drums for easier transportation - the footprint more or less stays the same.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whichever way you go, you might want to consider adding a BD cymbal mount and arm as another way to save just a little bit of space and carry one less stand to the gig. I also think they look really proper on a bop style kit.

I've never played a shallow BD, but I think that giving up 4" of depth with a 20x10, seems like a lot of lost ooomph. An 18x14 gives you 4" more depth and you only lose 2" in diameter compared to the 20. So sound wise, wouldn't the 18x14 give you a little more boom boom? Just thinking out loud.

And then there is the cost to cut her down to consider as well.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. If your cymbal stands spread out further than the bass drum, you haven´t gained anything really. Also, any cymbal will need its space, regardless of the drum residing unterneath.
I use smaller bass drums for easier transportation - the footprint more or less stays the same.
Cymbal stands not an issue , I’ll be using a Stealth Rack .

Transportation isn’t an issue for me , I have a cargo van .

Browny

Reaction score
I’d go the 20x10”. It’ll tune lower and should be super responsive but punchy and thumpy if you lay into it.

Depending on your foot technique, you might be able to leave it a bit more open for feathering (if that’s required for the jazzy stuff you mentioned) while still being able to bury the beater to dry it out a bit for the soul/blues stuff. Or just have a little towel on the outside of the batter to adjust that on the fly...

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite space saving kit is made up of a DW 20x2” single head bass drum and DW piccolo toms. This may not be an acceptable solution.

In my experience, I always got a great compromise with power and playability with a 20” bass drum. The plus is that you don’t need a riser or to cut down your beater rod to make it work.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 20x14 would definitely be small enough as it is, I think. I mean, how small of spaces/stages are we talking here?
If I was going to cut anything, it would be the 18" floor tom you were talking about. I really don't like 16" deep bass drums, regardless of diameter.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 20x14 would definitely be small enough as it is, I think. I mean, how small of spaces/stages are we talking here?
If I was going to cut anything, it would be the 18" floor tom you were talking about. I really don't like 16" deep bass drums, regardless of diameter.
That's funny, your the third guy that has said they don't like 16" deep BDs. I pondered for a minute or two about getting an 18x16" BD when I ordered my bop kit, but was quickly talked out of it.

So what is it about them that nobody seems to like?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's funny, your the third guy that has said they don't like 16" deep BDs. I pondered for a minute or two about getting an 18x16" BD when I ordered my bop kit, but was quickly talked out of it.

So what is it about them that nobody seems to like?
They look like converted floor toms under 22”?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Fibes 20" bass drum is 16" deep . I have no idea if 14" would be better and I don't plan on finding out .

I have no idea how small the stages might be I'm just thinking every inch counts ,right ? hee hee ..

I do have a 28x10 Bass bass drum I need to rewrap and find spurs for ...hmmmmm

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would convert the 18" floor tom if your not using it. I did; a 16x18 that was collecting dust and it sounds NICE; lot of tone to be controlled if you wish. It was one of the best decisions I've made. I went all the way, with wood hoops, bass drum heads (PS3's both sides) and small claws for the lugs. I'm presently using "L" rods for legs, using the original leg mounts on the tom. The L rods are not the best idea for a heavy mounted tom; I fly the tom(s) from cymbal stands. INDe supplies a nice looking add on bass drum leg mounting system that replaces and existing lug mount(no holes drilled) that you may consider. I use the Dixon bass drum lift for the pedal and that works wonders. Again, no holes to drill. Using a no extra hole system, makes it easier to sell in the future as Floor Tom or Bass drum. PLUS I even use it on my 20" bass.

I have a 14x20 bass that I've used on small stages that works well also, but the 16x18 floor tom is better. We have four people on a tiny stage that we can just barely step up on. The bass player puts his small amp to my right, next to a wall facing across the stage but angled forward and he stands in front of my ride cymbal and bass drum; the lead singer's amp is to the left of the Hi-hat and the lead guitar player is on the other end of stage. I have used the 14x20 a number of time on that same stage.

The biggest problem on a small stage is the Cymbal Stands but you can adjust the legs to a smaller area being careful with balance; so mounted cymbal and tom is the best. I'm using the Atlas mounting system for that now on the 20" bass, again no extra holes. A small crash cymbal is on the fly from the Hi-Hat stand. So if you need a 20" bass, it will fit within the ares as the 18" without the extra stands. And you can use a 16" floor tom if you wish but if you have a nice sounding 14", it would be easier to set up.

HINT: Do not; DO NOT put the floor tom up in the corner of a room. The two walls will kill the resonance; give your self room enough to side step around the tom, so you can get out for breaks.

Another HINT: Do Not allow anyone to put their amp in front of the bass drum unless it is really necessary, it will kill the tone.

sherm

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would convert the 18" floor tom if your not using it. I did; a 16x18 that was collecting dust and it sounds NICE; lot of tone to be controlled if you wish. It was one of the best decisions I've made. I went all the way, with wood hoops, bass drum heads (PS3's both sides) and small claws for the lugs. I'm presently using "L" rods for legs, using the original leg mounts on the tom. The L rods are not the best idea for a heavy mounted tom; I fly the tom(s) from cymbal stands. INDe supplies a nice looking add on bass drum leg mounting system that replaces and existing lug mount(no holes drilled) that you may consider. I use the Dixon bass drum lift for the pedal and that works wonders. Again, no holes to drill. Using a no extra hole system, makes it easier to sell in the future as Floor Tom or Bass drum. PLUS I even use it on my 20" bass.

I have a 14x20 bass that I've used on small stages that works well also, but the 16x18 floor tom is better. We have four people on a tiny stage that we can just barely step up on. The bass player puts his small amp to my right, next to a wall facing across the stage but angled forward and he stands in front of my ride cymbal and bass drum; the lead singer's amp is to the left of the Hi-hat and the lead guitar player is on the other end of stage. I have used the 14x20 a number of time on that same stage.

The biggest problem on a small stage is the Cymbal Stands but you can adjust the legs to a smaller area being careful with balance; so mounted cymbal and tom is the best. I'm using the Atlas mounting system for that now on the 20" bass, again no extra holes. A small crash cymbal is on the fly from the Hi-Hat stand. So if you need a 20" bass, it will fit within the ares as the 18" without the extra stands. And you can use a 16" floor tom if you wish but if you have a nice sounding 14", it would be easier to set up.

HINT: Do not; DO NOT put the floor tom up in the corner of a room. The two walls will kill the resonance; give your self room enough to side step around the tom, so you can get out for breaks.

Another HINT: Do Not allow anyone to put their amp in front of the bass drum unless it is really necessary, it will kill the tone.

sherm
Hmmm. thanks for the insight . Cymbal stands aren't a worry for me .I'm using a stealth rack .
I just added up the parts I'd need to convert my floor tom and I'm over $200 easy ,sheeeesh !!

TPC

Reaction score
18x14 (or 18x16) tuned down can get as thumpy as anything needs to. Having played bass drums from 16” to 24”, I can say that my current drum, old 18x16 Tama Soop can get plenty low. Sure a 24” drum can be FELT more, but there’s only so low the ear can hear.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an all birch cheapo 18x16 bass and it sounds GREAT (proper heads, minimal muffling, good tuning of course). I am probably in the minority here, but I have always preferred the 16" depth for all bass drums regardless of diameter.

I played in country rock bar bands professionally for 20 years with an '80's GRESTCH 16x22 and got more comments on that bass drum than any other. I would get a 16x20 if I were in your situation. I currently have the 18" and the 22" in 16" depth, guess I need a 20" also.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a 28x10 Bass bass drum I need to rewrap and find spurs for ...hmmmmm
Getting back to this, I think it would have a real "cool" factor up on stage. The 10" depth would keep the set up tight and tidy, but it would have real stage presence.

A couple of questions come to mind though, would it have the range you need to go from jazzy to rock? Would your Stealth Rack work with it? Can you get your tom in a good position?

If you can answer yes to those questions, it would definitely be the coolest move you could make.