Bass drum dilemma ?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an all birch cheapo 18x16 bass and it sounds GREAT (proper heads, minimal muffling, good tuning of course). I am probably in the minority here, but I have always preferred the 16" depth for all bass drums regardless of diameter.

I played in country rock bar bands professionally for 20 years with an '80's GRESTCH 16x22 and got more comments on that bass drum than any other. I would get a 16x20 if I were in your situation. I currently have the 18" and the 22" in 16" depth, guess I need a 20" also.
I have a 20x16

Attachments

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmmm. thanks for the insight . Cymbal stands aren't a worry for me .I'm using a stealth rack .
I just added up the parts I'd need to convert my floor tom and I'm over $200 easy ,sheeeesh !!
Yes, not cheap but cheaper than a new bass drum or maybe a nice used bass drum if you can find one may be in that price range. Although my 18" bass drum is nice but not great outdoors. My 14x20 does a lot better outside. The Stealth racks are nice and would be fine with a 20" bass drum. Not sure but you may find a used 14x20 easier than 10x20. I've never played a 10x20 so can not advise you on sound.

OH, I just noticed, you have a 16x20 bass; I've had no problem yet my 16x18 on our small stage. 16" shouldn't give you a problem but that, would depend on the distance front to back on stage.

sherm

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never had a problem with my Ludwigs 13/16 and 22x14.
Your right, I would agree; I used a 16x22 for many years and have used it in close quarters when the lead singer had to stand directly in front of the bass almost touching his legs. LOL I think the real problem is trying to use anything larger than a 4 or 5 piece setup (including snare) and I have done that but using stands for the small toms is the problem. The wider the bass the more room it takes for the stands. And there again a small rack system or the stealth would be a plus.

sherm