Bass drum double taps.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Ok, getting my speed up, but now I seem to have to concentrate more on not getting double taps on slower notes. Ugh. At least with pads I can easily hear any discrepancies.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe muffle the batter head some more to stop the chatter from the pedal. With any serious playing I have to do this, although I like the boom I normally get without it. I often do play without it if I'm playing live without mics and just slow down my bass drum parts.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd never had any trouble with bass drum double taps until I decided to go with un-ported heads. The rebound action went from near zero to uncontrollable because I'm a heel-up player who always buries the beater. I tried different heads, tunings, and muffling, all to no avail. I had to go back to ported reso heads, and the double taps immediately went away.

Shame, too, because I loved the sound of my bass drum with no ports. But, when you're almost 70 years old and have played the same way for sixty of those years, changing pedal styles is just not worth the effort.

GeeDeeEmm

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Well, luckily, I am teaching myself to NOT bury the beater. I think I used to last time I played over 30 years ago. lol I play heal up with foot in middle of peddle (Dyna-Sync). It's not a big problem if I concentrate on it. Good thing is, my feet are definitely starting to get stronger. It's just been a month. Will take a full year to get to where I want to be, I know this. Took that long with my hands. Started with one pad a year ago. Just thought it was odd this new problem came up after I started to progress. Will also be interesting how all this practice on my practice pad kit will transfer over to my acoustic kit once I get'r built.
Anyway, I'm up to 160 on the metronome. That's quarter notes at 160 and eighth notes on the bass drum. I'm just starting to feel myself using my ankle more (without the nervous twitch). BTW, this is with single pedal. I decided not to go with double pedal. I would rarely, if ever, use or need a double pedal. Anyway, rather pleased with my progress so far.

REF

Reaction score
Well, luckily, I am teaching myself to NOT bury the beater. I think I used to last time I played over 30 years ago. lol I play heal up with foot in middle of peddle (Dyna-Sync). It's not a big problem if I concentrate on it. Good thing is, my feet are definitely starting to get stronger. It's just been a month. Will take a full year to get to where I want to be, I know this. Took that long with my hands. Started with one pad a year ago. Just thought it was odd this new problem came up after I started to progress. Will also be interesting how all this practice on my practice pad kit will transfer over to my acoustic kit once I get'r built.
Anyway, I'm up to 160 on the metronome. That's quarter notes at 160 and eighth notes on the bass drum. I'm just starting to feel myself using my ankle more (without the nervous twitch). BTW, this is with single pedal. I decided not to go with double pedal. I would rarely, if ever, use or need a double pedal. Anyway, rather pleased with my progress so far.
Congratulations on the progress. One of the things I did with double taps is experiment with beaters. Plastic was the worst. As well as wood beaters. Rubber was good but, it ends up disintegrating from friction. Felt just seemed a little too weak of a strike for me. I ended up placing leather on various wood beater heads I use. Also, Tama's silicone beaters are really nice for punch and no doubles.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a bunch of different beaters. I use rubber right now because the pad is so dead. I remember many years ago, I prefered wood. I also remember putting moleskin on it. I'm sure once I get my acoustic kit put together, I will be changing the beater.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a control thing. You'll get it, it just takes some time. I play on unported no laundry bass drums and the bounce is strong. Haha. Try loosening the spring on you bd pedal to. That may help control ot a bit.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the early 70's I learned to do them and didnt have a front head. Sometime later I got a wood beater and learned to do tripple taps. I have the head tuned a tad above wrinkle. In the mid 80's I put a solid front head on. You have to practice doing it. There is a position my feet have to in to do it very very fast. A wood beater works better. a loose spring works better. Just keep practicing.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Which pad are you using, could be you won't have the issue on a real bass drum....but good practice getting it right on the pad and hopefully will be easier on a drum. If the pad is pretty hard you could maybe glue a section of a mouse pad on it so that it has a little more give like a real drum.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
I'm using Vater drum pads. I also believe an acoustic bass will be easier. I definitely remember years ago going from pad to snare. Wow, what a difference. I haven't played in a long time, but, I still kinda know what I'm doing. :thumbleft: One thing that did surprise me; after all these years, traditional grip still feels more natural to me. Couple other things that caught me off guard: 1. The huge variety of cymbals. 2. The cost of professional quality drums. If you are picky like me and don't want to buy a kit, or package deal and buy ala cart instead, look out, you're gonna get F'd in the B. That's why I'm building my own. Got the shells. Gotta get off my lazy butt & get them clear coated then order the hardware. I'm going to start a thread and get everyone's opinion on a couple different tom mounts. Narrowed it down to 2. I like a couple other brands better, but, Pearl, Tama, & Yamaha can F off. lol They want WAY too much. So, it's Atlas, or, the around the hoop type.

Oh also, thanks for the idea of gluing something to the pad. Didn't think about that.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting "problem." Never heard of it before until reading this thread. I've been constantly trying to get consistent double strokes/taps (when I want them) ever since the 1980's. No problem ever with singles ending up as singles. But, many of my attempts at doubles often turn into singles or very weak 2nd "taps." I used to bury the pedal in the 1970's then figured out it was not ideal. Took me around a year to unlearn that habit.

As far as "comfort" with a grip, that's just practice and time. I had 50 yrs on the traditional. And any other grip felt totally uncomfortable to me. Then I made a dedicated effort to try only matched (45-60 min every day). After playing only matched for the past year....it's totally comfortable. It started feeling pretty good just after 4 months to fully utilize a big 9 piece kit for the first time. Now when I try to flip back to traditional, it's the one that feels a "wee bit" foreign....though after 5-10 minutes of playing it's fine.

Last edited:

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
You know, once I get my feet in order, maybe I will concentrate on learning matched grip.

chillybase

Reaction score
I sometimes get the accidental double-tap. I find that I get it when I don't rest my leg in between the times I don't need to use my foot. I am still learning to control my foot but resting the heel in between seems to help and if I don't have my heel up at a steep angle.

Normandy Drums

Reaction score
I’ve been conscious in working on doubles via the heel/toe technique lately. Trying to clean up my technique w/ my weakest limb (control-wise). Going to try decreasing spring tension as the high tension is giving me too many hits and too little control.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Problem solved. Cool! Just really had to concentrate on it for awhile. I think all this practice on a practice kit is really gonna pay off. I remember many years ago, I had to use a practice kit. When I would finally get to play on an acoustic kit, WOW! AWESOME! lol Practice pads are brutally honest.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
No. Just basic heal up (heal up, but, not very high up). I'm fresh out of the gate, so, just trying to develop my feet/legs, etc... for now. I like several of the advanced methods. Once I advance from beginner to intermediate, I will start to try some of the tricks for more speed.
One nice thing, I have finally become comfortable with NOT burying the beater. If that is your prefered method, that's cool. Not criticizing that. No wrong or right way. Just my preference.

Normandy Drums

Reaction score
No. Just basic heal up (heal up, but, not very high up). I'm fresh out of the gate, so, just trying to develop my feet/legs, etc... for now. I like several of the advanced methods. Once I advance from beginner to intermediate, I will start to try some of the tricks for more speed.
I can relate. After many years, I’m trying to develop the basics for a better foundation to then transition into more advanced techniques to do the ideas I have in my head. Single pedal for life!

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Yeah. I have a double pedal as well. I just decided not to bother with it. Again, if that's your 'thang', cool. I decided, I wouldn't use it much, so, gonna concentrate on single pedal.
I also decided to go with traditional grip. Hope this wasn't a mistake. I was very surprised that after all these years, traditional grip STILL feels more natural.

Latest posts