Bass Drum Edges

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I'm going to have new edges out on to an old bass drum shell.
What are the different types of edges commonly used for bass drums and in what ways do they determine the sound?

Thanks,
Mac

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always prefer to have a classic round over bearing edge on bass drums - similar to what Ludwig was doing back in the '60s.

Personally, I think this matters less on your bass drum than any of your toms - especially if you use any kind of dampened batter head or internal muffling.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
The size of the bass may determine your angle. My approch would be the smaller bop bass drum would resonate better w a sharper 30 or 45 degree cut whereas the larger rock sizes may sound better with a more subtle 30 degree round over as Oyster Blue mentioned. General rule of thumb more angle more resonance. I like Rogers 45 inside cut 30 on the outside which meets to an apex about an 1/8” in from the outside of the shell.
42996519-0839-4150-8B85-C26E4A4B5662.jpeg

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Batter side is for attack, reso side is for sustain. I generally don't like my bass drums to have a clicky attack, so I like more rounded edges on the batter side. I don't like my bass drums to be dead though so I usually go with a sharper edge on the reso side. This leads to 2 different edges on the drum. Kind of a hybrid approach.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 12x24 single ply bass drum that was made in 1919. It only has a couple of holes drilled into it for marching hardware, but no lug holes or vents. I'm going to have it drilled for lugs and then new edges put on it. Ill probably play mostly amplified music in small venues.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The reissuse Broadcasters are doing well with the old reverse roundovers, although all the ideas here are great..

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies, everybody.
I'm thinking of a sharper edge than the drum currently has; which is a flat, rounded uneven point all the way around.
I think I'm going to go with what JP suggested!

Latest posts